The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What are You Watching on Netflix Instant/Amazon Prime/orwhateverotherinstreaming (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27934)

Pico and ME 08-03-2017 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 993330)
I'd like to try Justified, but, NetFlix tells me it's unavailable for streaming.

I watch it on Amazon.

Undertoad 08-03-2017 04:33 PM

Watch Maria Bamford's latest comedy special, she is awesome!

Clodfobble 08-04-2017 07:22 AM

Grav, try GLOW on Netflix. You will like it, I promise.

Me, I just binged the first season of "The Good Place" on Hulu. It's a weird show. Great dialogue and comedic timing, weird-as-shit plot and aesthetics. I kind of didn't want to like it but also kept watching because it was undeniably funny. Like a cult classic that happens to be new, except that means the "it's bad because it's old" justification isn't actually there. It's good if you like absurdist stuff, or like a John Waters visual style.

Happy Monkey 08-04-2017 10:33 AM

I really liked "The Good Place". Looking forward to how they handle the second season.

Gravdigr 08-04-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 993407)
Grav, try GLOW on Netflix. You will like it, I promise.

I'll look into it. Thanks.

Clodfobble 08-12-2017 02:31 PM

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

Paging DanaC... DanaC to the screening room please...

DanaC 08-12-2017 05:34 PM

Is it good? I've been avoiding trying it in case it shits all over my memory of the books.

BigV 08-12-2017 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 993316)
The best thing I have seen on Netflix in a while was VALLEY UPRISING. A documentary about climbing culture in Yosemite Valley over the last few decades. Extremely well done and entertaining.

I just started watching it for a minute and an hour later realizing it was bed time. Came back to finish it the next day.

I get second degree agoraphobia just watching that trailer, so... maybe not.

Did you see this in the news? More insane people in that "legendary valley".

Man solo-free-climbs El Capitan. In under four hours.

Happy Monkey 08-12-2017 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 993904)
Is it good? I've been avoiding trying it in case it shits all over my memory of the books.

It's been a long while since I read it, but I'm pretty sure the show is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike the book.

Which is probably better than being similar, but missing something major.

Clodfobble 08-12-2017 10:30 PM

I never read the books, but Mr. Clod says it's basically the Dirk Gently character, with entirely new plot lines. Based on the books I have read, though, I would say that it has a pretty spot-on "Douglas Adams" flavor in general, however.

Undertoad 08-13-2017 07:15 AM

Watch Neal Brennan's latest comedy special, he is awesome!

Clodfobble 08-13-2017 11:59 AM

Seconded.

DanaC 10-30-2018 12:53 PM

OMG season 3 of Daredevil is the dog's bollocks.

I watched the entire thing across 4 nights.

Quite possibly the best superhero tv I've seen yet.

Worth watching for the amazing single take fight scene alone, but there're are so many good things.

|the key - the thing they got right in S1, got wrong in S2 and got right again in S3 is a compelling villain.

There were very few disposable characters in this season - most of them were given enough time to build and breathe and feel fully realised. that makes the whole thing matter so much more. You want Daredevil to win - but you also feel for the ones he is fighting and that makes for a very different experience to last season's ludicrous 'Hand; storyline

Just visually as well, it is beautiful to watch.

Gravdigr 10-30-2018 03:05 PM

Finished Rectify a couple weeks ago. Good, but lots of loose ends at the finale. I got the feeling they were canceled and had to wrap things up in a hurry.

Watched Collateral (no, not the Tom Cruise flick, this is a British limited series). It fell flat for me.

Rewatching Ken Burns' The West,:devil:, and Welles in The Third Man.

Blazing Saddles is currently on the menu:devil:

Watched Ron White's new Netflix stand-up thing. Funneh in spots but, overall you won't miss much. He had a good bit about going to Vegas the same week as the sex toy convention, and the names of the manufacturers represented, none of which were real (Johnson & Johnson, Johnson's, Knob Cobblers), and a bit about the baby-duck-pussy-lip-tacos being served at the Beverly Hills hotel where he was staying. It was absolutely filthy, and he was very drunk, fucked up a couple of punchlines. It's called "If You Stop Listening, I'll Shut Up", or something like that.

I was very disappointed by Frontier. Very disappointed.

Clodfobble 10-30-2018 10:26 PM

Sarah Silverman's "I Love You America" and Hasan Minhaj's "Patriot Act" are both excellent.