The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

glatt 06-22-2015 09:44 AM

It was good. Honestly a lot of fun, and I think the boys had fun with the challenging weather.

We taught them survival skills all day Saturday and one of the many things we taught them was heat exhaustion, and we had two adults succumb to heat exhaustion during the day on Saturday because the heat index got up around 100, and it was a chore humping in all the camping gear from the parking lot a half mile away. Also, the water faucet was a few hundred meters away, so getting water wasn't easy and in hindsight they probably didn't drink as much as they should have. So anyway, two of the adults had to go lie down. One got better. One still felt like shit and ended up going home, which was only a 15 minute drive away.

After the instruction and hands on teaching, the boys went off a few hundred feet deeper into the woods and started making shelters. The only useful thing (other than natural materials) they had was one standard draw string trash bag, and one survival "space" blanket.

Then we had dinner, and shortly after dinner, the storms started coming through in waves. They were basically the heaviest rainstorms I've experienced. Not much wind, which was good, but lots of violent lightning and extremely heavy rain. I had brought a blue utility tarp large enough to cover the two picnic tables, and had set it up well over the two tables. But the rain was coming down so hard that we had to continuously (like ever 2-3 seconds) push up on low spots in the tarp to dump a gallon or two of pooling water out of the low spots in it. After the first wave of a downpour, I put a pot out to measure the rainfall. It had straight edges, and we got about an inch and a half of rain in about 2 hours.

There was flash flooding. It was coming down faster than the dirt could absorb it, so the entire campsite became one small pond about an inch deep. Half of the tents were in 1-2 inches of standing water. I had my tent near a tree, where the ground was an inch or two higher than the surrounding area, so mine was not in a puddle. And my tarp mostly repelled the incredible onslaught of water. A little bit weeped inside the tent, but I could easily wipe it up with a microfiber towel. It was basically bone dry inside my tent. Others hadn't fared so well.
The boys were not in the shelters yet.

It was only about 9PM at this point, and the storms had completely flattened one of the shelters. The rest were still up, but the ground inside the shelters was soaked. At around 11PM, the waves of storms had gone by and it was time to send the boys out into their shelters. Out of 14 boys, 9 of them gave up on the idea of sleeping in their shelters and crawled into their wet tents instead. Five of the boys started off in their shelters, and three of them gave up after an hour or so of lying in the mud. Two of the boys made it through the night in their shelters and earned their wilderness survival merit badges during just about the worst possible conditions a person can expect to have.

I didn't get much sleep, because the adults took shifts through the night to check on the boys. I had the 2-4 shift, and from 11-2, I kept waking up and checking my watch because I didn't trust my alarm to wake me. According to my fitbit, I got 2h 11min of sleep before my shift, and 1h 33min of sleep after my shift and before it was time to get up. It was fun taking a shift though, because we were just hanging out by the fire chatting and occasionally going out to check that the two remaining boys were still alive.

All and all, I have to say that I LOVE Boy Scouts and the experiences it offers these boys. We gave them lighters on this trip. There were some 12 year old boys there who have never held a lighter in their life and didn't know how to use one. I encouraged them to keep playing with the lighters until they could get them to light (which is a lot harder than when I was a kid because they have been child proofed.) We told them to bring their knives. So they were playing with knives and lighters all day long, and being encouraged to do so. We sat out in the rain in a violent lightning storm, because there was no where else to go. The lighting is going to hit the tall trees, and probably not the scouts off the ground on a picnic table under a tarp. The boys were chit-chatting excitedly as the storm was pounding on us. After every crack and boom they would be like "Whoa! Did you hear that one!" They were in high spirits until the next morning when it was time to pack up all the wet gear and shlep it back to the cars. That's when they got grumpy, but they are grumpy during nice weather at that time.

I'm glad boys have a place where they can play in the mud, build shelters, play with knives and lighters, and filter scummy water from a canal to drink. All day long, all they hear is "no" and "be careful" and in Scouts we almost never say that stuff unless they are doing something really stupid.

glatt 06-22-2015 10:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'll post pictures of my son, since I wouldn't feel right about posting other kids.

This is the first draft of his shelter and him posing in it. He picked a lot of grass and put it on the ground to get him off the dirt. It looked pretty good. He cut the trash bag open along the two sides and unfolded it to make one half of a roof. He used leaves and grass for the other side of the roof.
Attachment 52153
Looks cozy
Attachment 52154
After the first ridiculously heavy downpour for only 10 minutes, they all went out to examine their shelters, and he saw his was soaking wet inside. So he put a space blanket on the other side of the roof.
Attachment 52155
The shelter looked a lot better, and would probably keep him dry, except it was already wet inside. He earned his wilderness survival merit badge two years ago, so he was just doing this for fun. He was happy with his shelter but wanted to sleep in a dry tent instead. So he did, except his tent wasn't so dry either.

You'll notice caution tape strung up around the perimeter. We didn't want boys wandering out into the woods int he middle of the night, and we wanted to make it easy for the parents to check on the boys in the pitch dark without wandering around looking for them. The caution tape was a really good idea.

glatt 06-22-2015 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And cell phones don't do well in the dark, but you can see the reflection in the puddle and get a sense for the size of it. No pictures were taken during the height of the storms. Too focused on other stuff.
Attachment 52156

fargon 06-22-2015 10:35 AM

Wow that is a lot of rain. I have fond memories of Boy Scouts, and camping with my father.

Lamplighter 06-22-2015 11:16 AM

... a very entertaining report !

Almost like being there, but not really.

Gravdigr 06-22-2015 02:08 PM

Knives and lighters!!

I still like playing with knives and fire!!!!

fargon 06-23-2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 931722)
Knives and lighters!!

I still like playing with knives and fire!!!!

Me too.

Lamplighter 06-23-2015 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Technically it's not weather, but ...

Quote:

WASHINGTON – A severe solar storm slammed Earth on Monday afternoon,
increasing the chances of fluctuations in the power grid and GPS.
It also pushes shimmering polar auroras to places where more people can possibly see them.

Federal forecasters said the Northern Lights may be able to be seen
Tuesday night as far south as Iowa or Pennsylvania.
I'm wondering if the Aussie's will be able to participate too

ETA: It looks as if Australia is too far north, but Tasmania and the
South Island of New Zealand might have their own display.

Gravdigr 06-23-2015 04:28 PM

It's hot.

Sundae 06-23-2015 04:48 PM

It's cold. For Summer.
GD maritime climate.

monster 06-23-2015 08:07 PM

we got a few tornadoes and the Northern light here in MI. me, I was woken by the cacophony of cellphone alerts at 2am, thinking it was my work alarm. We all stumbled down to the basement, camped out there for an hour, stumbled back to bed (for an hour, in my case). the entire of Ann Arbor was walking round like zombies today. nearest touchdown was about 15 miles away.

Griff 06-24-2015 06:02 AM

Philly got knocked around yesterday.

xoxoxoBruce 06-26-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 931840)
Philly got knocked around yesterday.

Yes, power went out Tuesday about 5:45 PM and I got mine back at 4 AM this(Friday) morning. Still a lot of people in the dark.
Here, almost every big tree was damaged, and about a dozen are "totaled".

Big branches everywhere...
http://cellar.org/2015/bigwind4.jpg

Lots of tree tops...
http://cellar.org/2015/bigwind2.jpg

And whole trees...
http://cellar.org/2015/bigwind3.jpg

Fortunately it landed on the trailer but missed the pickup...
http://cellar.org/2015/bigwind1.jpg

Gravdigr 06-26-2015 02:32 PM

Loaded and ready to go.

BigV 07-03-2015 12:17 AM

It's 84 degrees in the house.

It's been the hottest June on record, by a long shot. Only eight days with measurable precipitation this spring.