The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gravdigr's Questions (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26547)

Gravdigr 12-21-2011 04:19 PM

Gravdigr's Questions

Got answers? Well, I've got questions. I'm looking for actual, useful answers, even though the question may seem silly.

This is just the beginning:

1. Is there a larger single Roman numeral than "M" (1000)?

2. Sometimes I click to go to the next page in a Cellar thread, but, there is no next page, it just loads the same page again. Why?

3. If I'm in a plane traveling at twice the speed of sound, can I hear the engine?

4. What is the cutest thing you've ever eaten?

5. Why are British people derogatorily referred to as "poms", "pommies", and/or "pommy bastard" (as in (from the Monty Python 'Bruces in Australia' sketch) "I'd like to welcome the pommy bastard to God's own land.")?

6. Are the individual cells (blood cells, skin cells, nerve cells, muscle cells) in a large person, say, 7-8 feet tall, Robert Wadlow-type, a true giant, larger than the individual cells in a standard size human? Do they have more of them? Are a very small person's (Vern Troyer) cells smaller?

7. Why do hard cookies get soft when they go stale, and soft cookies get hard when they get stale?

Sheldonrs 12-21-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 782015)
Got answers? Well, I've got questions. I'm looking for actual, useful answers, even though the question may seem silly.

This is just the beginning:

1. Is there a larger single Roman numeral than "M" (1000)?
Yes. BM. It's HUGE!

2. Sometimes I click to go to the next page in a Cellar thread, but, there is no next page, it just loads the same page again. Why?
Precog paging system.

3. If I'm in a plane traveling at twice the speed of sound, can I hear the engine?
Yes, when you come around again.

4. What is the cutest thing you've ever eaten?
His name is Gerald.

5. Why are British people derogatorily referred to as "poms", "pommies", and/or "pommy bastard" (as in (from the Monty Python 'Bruces in Australia' sketch) "I'd like to welcome the pommy bastard to God's own land.")?
Because They are very handy (Palmy).

6. Are the individual cells (blood cells, skin cells, nerve cells, muscle cells) in a large person, say, 7-8 feet tall, Robert Wadlow-type, a true giant, larger than the individual cells in a standard size human? Do they have more of them? Are a very small person's (Vern Troyer) cells smaller?
No, but their jail cels are.

7. Why do hard cookies get soft when they go stale, and soft cookies get hard when they get stale?

Erectile dysfunction.

Rhianne 12-21-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

1. Is there a larger single Roman numeral than "M" ?

M

regular.joe 12-21-2011 04:59 PM

LOL...and I wonder if those were serious questions, if they were I hope you did not expect serious questions in this Cellar.

The cells are all the same size in us humans there are just more of em in larger people.

TonyE 12-21-2011 05:15 PM

5/ Brits don't take offence at being called poms. We know that those Aussie convicts don't know any better :)

To be fair, some good things have come out of Australia such as Kylie, Natalie Imbruglia and Nicole Kidman. But they have also given us Rolf Harris. A plea to any Aussies out there, you have left him with us Brits long enough, please take him back...

sexobon 12-21-2011 05:19 PM

Not above the noise the treadmill is making at that speed.

zippyt 12-21-2011 05:27 PM

Pommy stands for Prisoner of Mother England,
its what the guards called the folks taken to Aus
then the Aus folks started refering to any body from the UK as Pommys
I could be wrong but in the Early 80 saying Fuck the Queen in Pearth Aus would get yer Ass kicked in a Bar

ZenGum 12-21-2011 06:03 PM

1. No.

5. There are several theories. Possibly from the acronym POHM, short for Prisoner of His (/Her) Majesty (Zippy scores 9/10 for that). Another theory relates it to the French pomme, apple, referring to the skin colour of Brits when they get some proper sun.

Zippy, I guess that would depend on the bar. In some pubs, standing up and shouting anything is interpreted as "I'm in the mood for a fight, any takers?"

infinite monkey 12-21-2011 06:19 PM

1. Is there a larger single Roman numeral than "M" (1000)? I do not know.

I think it has something to do with when someone deletes a post. I've seen it too.

3. If I'm in a plane traveling at twice the speed of sound, can I hear the engine? I do not know.

4. What is the cutest thing you've ever eaten? The obligatory hobo.

5. Why are British people derogatorily referred to as "poms", "pommies", and/or "pommy bastard" (as in (from the Monty Python 'Bruces in Australia' sketch) "I'd like to welcome the pommy bastard to God's own land.")? I do not know.

6. Are the individual cells (blood cells, skin cells, nerve cells, muscle cells) in a large person, say, 7-8 feet tall, Robert Wadlow-type, a true giant, larger than the individual cells in a standard size human? Do they have more of them? Are a very small person's (Vern Troyer) cells smaller? No.

7. Why do hard cookies get soft when they go stale, and soft cookies get hard when they get stale? You must get real cookies. Chips Ahoy never change states of matter.

glatt 12-21-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Yes. The sound will pass through the solid frame of the plane's body.

If the engine was somehow isolated from the body of the plane so that it was truly exterior to the plane, you would not hear it if you were sitting in front of it, or if you were sitting beside it, but you would hear it if you were sitting behind it. There is a sonic boom coming from the engine and that boom is a diagonal line going backwards from the engine in a cone at 67.5 degrees behind perpendicular to the plane's travel. If your seat is within that cone, you will hear the engine, and if it's in front of that cone you will not.

It's easier to draw than explain. It has to do with how fast the sound travels and how far the plane moves during the same time.

glatt 12-21-2011 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture I found.

Picture the engine being located at the point of this cone.
If you are in front of the point, you will never hear it, if you are beside the point, you will never hear it, but in some places behind the point, you will hear it.

The cone get pointier the faster you go, and at 2 times the speed of sound I'm pretty sure it would be 67.5 degrees behind perpendicular.

Gravdigr 12-22-2011 03:03 AM

:lol2: Gerald. For some reason, that just tickled the shit outta me.

:p:

Gravdigr 12-23-2011 02:56 PM

***NEW QUESTION***

8. Does a man with only one eye pay full price for an eye exam?

TheMercenary 12-23-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 782031)

Not above the noise the treadmill is making at that speed.

:lol2:

TheMercenary 12-23-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 782536)
8. Does a man with only one eye pay full price for an eye exam?

Twice the price, since the single price is actually for a two eye exam.