The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Boy Scouts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32995)

xoxoxoBruce 08-23-2017 09:34 PM

Boy Scouts

An Eagle Scout returns his badge.

glatt 08-24-2017 07:16 AM

That's pretty cool.

Rumor has it girls will be allowed in soon.

monster 08-24-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 994501)
That's pretty cool.

Rumor has it girls will be allowed in soon.

About time. I was in the venture scouts. Been coed in the UK for a generation

DanaC 08-24-2017 12:38 PM

That's a cool story

glatt 08-24-2017 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 994510)
About time. I was in the venture scouts. Been coed in the UK for a generation

Yeah, we have venture scouts here too. They are an awesome organization. I wish I knew about them when my daughter was younger. By the time I knew, she was too involved in other stuff to drop it and join venture scouts. She had been in Girl Scouts and was unimpressed.

The rumors I have heard are that girls will soon be able to join Boy Scouts.

DanaC 08-24-2017 01:41 PM

I remember trying the Girl Guides out - it looked like it would be really fun - I attended for about 5 or 6 weeks and all we seemed to do was play a few shitty group games, bake stuff, and listen to morally uplifting stories. It was mainly baking though.

Yah, fuck that.

[ETA] I think Mum would have preferred it had I reached that decision prior to her shelling out for the Girl Guide uniform around week 3

glatt 08-24-2017 02:24 PM

Anecdotal evidence, but my daughter's experience with Girl Scouts was very similar. I'm sure each local group has its own culture.

monster 08-24-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 994513)
Yeah, we have venture scouts here too. They are an awesome organization. I wish I knew about them when my daughter was younger. By the time I knew, she was too involved in other stuff to drop it and join venture scouts. She had been in Girl Scouts and was unimpressed.

The rumors I have heard are that girls will soon be able to join Boy Scouts.

so in the UK, it the girls were Guides and it was Brownies, Guides and Rangers, and the boys were Scouts and it was Cubs, Scouts and Ventures for the boys, but the latter was co-ed for most troops (only way to keep the boys in). Isn't Ventures something different here?

I served my time in Brownies and Guides before defecting......

Happy Monkey 08-24-2017 06:00 PM

Venturing is run by the Boy Scouts, but is co-ed, and for ages 14-21.

monster 08-24-2017 06:32 PM

ah thanks.

xoxoxoBruce 08-25-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

The Girl Scouts of the USA have accused Boy Scouts of America of carrying out a "covert campaign to recruit girls into programs run by the Boy Scouts" in hopes of appealing to millennial parents and bolstering their declining membership, according to a letter they sent the Boy Scouts board on Monday.
link

classicman 08-26-2017 10:22 AM

Why don't they just call it "Scouts" and let all kids in? We'd have a lot less offended.

Pico and ME 08-26-2017 11:34 AM

That's a good idea, then they could combine both organizations into one, including all their activities and badges and such.

sexobon 08-26-2017 05:08 PM

They don't need no stinkin' badges.

In the new organization, they'll all get merit tattoos!

monster 08-26-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 994647)
Why don't they just call it "Scouts" and let all kids in? We'd have a lot less offended.

Because for girls/young women, Scouts/Guides can often be the place where they learn they are not the inferior gender and they can be leaders and can put up tents and can tie knots and don't need a guy to do it. Some of them don't get that at home, but are allowed to be in the Girl Scouts/Guides because it's for girls so must be a girly thing.....

....and I'm really surprised to find myself saying that -because I came to hate it by then end, but I have also been surprised by the level of macho sexism proselytized by women I've encountered since moving here, so I totally get it's value now.

e.g. this pile of shit

Butterflies are for girls