The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   There's lumberthing I want to tell you (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29093)

jimhelm 06-06-2013 01:06 AM

There's lumberthing I want to tell you

This is my thread. I'm the boss of it. This is the thread where I will tell you things I want to tell you. You should make one of your own, so that you could tell me things and I could read them if I want to. I'm not saying don't post in this thread. I'm not even saying don't talk about the things you want to talk about in this thread. I'm just saying that I'm going to post things I want to tell you in this thread. So, when i want to tell you something, I'm just going to put it here. I'm not going to go searching about looking for some thread where the topic was discussed. I'm tired of doing all the work for you. You can go find the thread it makes you think of if you want. suit yourself.

Anyway, here's the first thing I want to tell you, now that I have this thread for things I want to tell you:

I bought a tin of Virginia Peanuts at Wegman's tonight. A tin. not a ton. They say Super Extra Jumbo or some triple superlative like that on the front. They come in a TIN. I don't know if you caught that. It's like a fucking paint can. They even give you a little pry tool taped to the lid. And inside that lid, there's a heavy foil seal. You have to cut it with the sharper end of the pry tool, or a knife would work, too... and ... it was $8.99. That sounds like a lot for peanuts. Maybe cashews or pistachios... but peanuts usually go for... well, peanuts.

OK, so you know how when your sitting there shelling and eating peanuts, and getting that shit all over you while you watch a football game, and out of nowhere, you get that one exceptional peanut that tastes so fucking good, it makes that shit all over you just fine? And then you eat WAY more than you should, just hoping to get one more nut like that good one?

These are ALL like that good one. Each and every goddamned one of them. Perfect Huge peanuts. And no shit all over you either.

ZenGum 06-06-2013 01:39 AM

I'm pretty sure we already have a thread about your nuts, Jim. :D

glatt 06-06-2013 07:13 AM

This belongs in the food forum. I'm going to merge the post there.

;)

Beest 06-06-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 867196)
OK, so you know how when your sitting there shelling and eating peanuts, and getting that shit all over you while you watch a football game, and out of nowhere, you get that one exceptional peanut that tastes so fucking good, it makes that shit all over you just fine?.

I don't like peanuts, so no.

I imagine all the sealing and extra you are paying for with the tin makes them extra fresh and seals in the all the flavor mere plastic, or even metallized plastic can not.

infinite monkey 06-06-2013 07:50 AM

thank gawd. hardly anyone starts a new thread for every single random thought they have, anymore.

i agree about the peanuts. it's been a long time since i've had a perfect peanut. i'm jealous. i have peanuts envy.

infinite monkey 06-06-2013 08:48 AM

beest, reason for correction: speeling.

you made me laugh. much needed...thanks. ;)

limey 06-06-2013 09:11 AM

Turkish hazelnuts are great.

Sundae 06-06-2013 09:54 AM

Turkish nuts are revolting.

ZenGum 06-06-2013 10:06 AM

Actually, I think the nuts are in power. So I guess it is the fruits which are revolting.

jimhelm 06-07-2013 10:47 AM

They water blanch the nuts, which is what gives them the awesome crunchiness. Anyway, I love them. These will be a staple in my cabinet.

jimhelm 06-07-2013 10:51 AM

Ok, do you iphone people use Siri?

Well, theres an android version called 'Robin'

Works just like Siri. You can teach it responses to questions, too. Like when I say, Robin, count to three. It says one...two....five!

Probably the most useful thing for me so far is, I can say, ' text amanda ' and it will ask for what I want to say, and then text it for me. I only have to hit the mic button once. It will also read your texts aloud. you just have to say Robin, read texts. it starts with new messages and works its way backwards until you hit the button again to stop it.

glatt 06-07-2013 11:16 AM

Siri does stuff like that. It's pretty cool.

Undertoad 06-07-2013 11:18 AM

If you have Jelly Bean, the android version of Siri is Google.

ZenGum 06-07-2013 08:01 PM

Robin! From now on, you will address me as Batman!

orthodoc 06-08-2013 01:36 AM

No, Robin addresses me as Batgirl. Get your own Robin.

Plus ... I also have peanuts envy. Wegmans' nuts are 35 miles away and not always of dependable access or quality. Need good nuts now. Please remedy asap.

Aliantha 06-08-2013 05:19 AM

ortho, didn't you just get remarried? Surely you have nuts on hand pretty much all the time right now. Right?

orthodoc 06-08-2013 10:33 AM

True ... what was I thinking? I don't need Wegmans. I have nuts on hand, or in hand, whenever I want.

jimhelm 06-08-2013 10:45 AM

We traded a 2011 Honda CBR1100 RR motorcycle yesterday. The kid that traded it's father wants to still me his 2008 Honda VTX 1800. Beautiful bike, but he owes $7100 on it, and I think I would only want it for $6000.

Hes gonna bring it around on monday so I can see it.

wanderer 06-08-2013 01:26 PM

6k bucks be a good deal I had say, given the condition of the bike of course.

footfootfoot 06-08-2013 03:12 PM

My hops ranch is doing respectably well, all things considered.

The established plants are kicking ass, last fall's transplants are vehemently berating. I expect they'll be kicking ass in 2015.

jimhelm 06-08-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderer (Post 867525)
6k bucks be a good deal I had say, given the condition of the bike of course.

He says it's brand new. 3200 miles on it. never dropped.

looks like this>

http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/Y...X1800_left.jpg

Lamplighter 06-08-2013 03:56 PM

Not worth $6K... I see dust on the rear tire... maybe $5.999K

jimhelm 06-08-2013 06:35 PM

That's just the same kind and color.

I am actually very happy with mine, but it has a valve tap that's getting worse, and it seeps oil slowly.... If it not for that and the offer of a 0% loan from my rich buddy, I wouldn't even consider it.

orthodoc 06-09-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 867534)
The established plants are kicking ass, last fall's transplants are vehemently berating. I expect they'll be kicking ass in 2015.

My garden transplants are merely bitchy so far. They need to move up to vehemently berating. But my irises truly kicked ass this spring and the Stargazer lilies are on track to win a title.

jimhelm 06-10-2013 03:28 PM

It rained heavily today. Plan now is for me to go to his place weds, and take a look at it.

I got a laptop from duke for $100 today. He couldn't run aol, so he went and bought an apple. I needed a laptop for ippys birthday. It is a vaio like the one I use. It's dirty, but I think I should be able to do a factory reset, and make it work

jimhelm 06-16-2013 07:23 AM

I'm going for a motorcycle ride this morning. Peace, out, homies

Griff 06-16-2013 07:32 AM

Good ride bro.

lumberjim 06-16-2013 12:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bruce's son, Jordan got a 2007 Yamaha V Star 1100 almost just like mine but with a little bit less chrome. The three of us went out today for a nice little ride along the river. Then we stopped and had breakfast at Dredge Harbor Marina.

Attachment 44360

Bruce and me.

Attachment 44361

Bruce and Jordan

It was Jordan's first trip out on the roads for real. He just got his license. Doing very well. he's not crazy or stupid. Has a healthy respect for the motorcycle.

Now I could use a nap!

jimhelm 06-25-2013 03:31 PM

Pop doing Bojangles

lumberjim 06-26-2013 11:28 AM

When I woke up this morning, there was a bird in my kitchen. No fucking idea how it got in there. No idea how long it had been there. Scared the ever living hell out of me though. It took me about 5 to 10 minutes of opening windows and doors before the fucker realized that it could get out. It knocked most of the shit off the window sills in my kitchen, pooped on my thing of chopsticks, but other than that did no real damage. I would just really like to know how it got in so that I could prevent it happening again.

lumberjim 06-26-2013 11:46 AM

Ok a, mystery solved. It must have come down the chimney. There was a bit of a gap between the fireplace cover and the chimney. Lots of bird shit all over the window sills in my living room.

Lamplighter 06-26-2013 12:11 PM

chimney or hood vent ?

Clodfobble 06-26-2013 12:13 PM

I think that's a question best put off until the second or third date, at least.

Lamplighter 06-26-2013 12:17 PM

:eek:

BigV 06-26-2013 01:22 PM

I've had this trouble.

I took a couple yards of hardware cloth and fashioned a hood/bag for the top of the stovepipe. This kept the birds out. I drive by this house today from time to time and my work is still on the top of the stovepipe almost 20 years later.

glatt 06-26-2013 01:31 PM

Chimney caps are awesome. After a bird in the basement and a raccoon in our chimney, we got one.

I guess if it's a rental, then you'd be a fool to install one for your landlord. Birds coming down a chimney are pretty rare. probably won't happen again for as long as you are there.

lumberjim 06-26-2013 01:38 PM

I googled birds in the house and omens. The consensus is that if the bird lives and escapes then its a good omen. Possibly a deceased relative coming to visit. If the bird dies, that could portend ill luck.

ZenGum 06-26-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

its a good omen. Possibly a deceased relative coming to visit.
We clearly have a different idea of "good" events!! :eek:

lumberjim 06-27-2013 09:33 AM

Last night at about 1030 I heard water gushing in my bathroom. I went in and saw if you rubbing with poop and all kinds of yucky water. The tub with bubbling and so was the kitchen sink. Down to the basement there's an inch of water standing.

Apparently the main drain was clogged full of roots. I had a plumber come out for emergency service. Arrived around midnight. And kept me up until about quarter of 4.

Just 12 more hours of work to go .... and then i can go back to bed.

Undertoad 06-27-2013 10:14 AM

BigV 06-27-2013 12:05 PM

so. gross.

I had them visit my house a while back and the machine they used was about the size of a washing machine. it had distance markers on the 3/4" - 1" snake (??) and he fed it into the main cleanout in the main waste stack in the basement. Gah, the smell was utterly foul. He also found roots *inside* the sewer line. he said that the sewer lines in this area, from back in the day, were made of concrete and that they were ... porous? at any rate, the roots sensed their delicious cargo of moisture and nutrients and proceeded accordingly, that is, into the pipe. the roots cut off by the blade and hauled back when the snake was retracted (DO NOT TOUCH!!) looked like hair. black hair. that's enough (with enough of them) to slow the drain and cause a blockage like you described. he said he paid out enough line to reach to the center of the street from my basement wall, well beyond the reach in distance and diameter of any drain snaking tool I have. I have a fifty footer that I can drive with my drill or by hand, and that wouldn't have even reached the trouble. that's a long column of black water; fuck, I might even want to discard the snake after a trip through that. so fucking gross.

jimhelm 06-27-2013 12:51 PM

wow, i didn't realize what a butchering the voice to text gave that post. you really have to talk like a robot when there is background noise.

so, yeah. the place I'm in does not have a clean-out. ...and the landlord just re did the drain system a month before I moved in... must have opted not to have a clean-out installed at that time.

This trip cost him $600.

The upstairs neighbor's stuff was in the part of the basement that got wet.... and shitty... I'll post a couple pics in a minute... but there were globs of shit on top of the washing machine that sits under the drain pipe.

1-800-servpro

The plumber(who got a $20 tip from me) that came did me a huge solid, and cleaned the bathroom floor up with bleach. even did half way up the walls.... All I had to clean was the tub, and that only had a little bit in it. oh, and the kitchen sink.... again. after the bird, I had just cleaned the kitchen sink, counters, window sills and the mantle piece in the living room.

so, I guess the silver lining is that my house got cleaned yesterday.

lumberjim 06-27-2013 01:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/28/hu5ypy5u.jpg
That is the pipe that it all backed up out of. It is supposed to be for the washing machine overflow. I thought they had to have a one-way valve installed between the sewer and any appliance. The plumber said that no they don't really.
But this is what you get when you don't and your sewer pipe backs up:
Attachment 44452
Attachment 44453
Attachment 44454

BigV 06-27-2013 01:21 PM

:vomit:

glatt 06-27-2013 01:36 PM

ew

who gets to clean up the basement?

Clodfobble 06-27-2013 02:53 PM

Ohmygod I would have to just move out. How incredibly horrific.

lumberjim 06-27-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 868923)
ew

who gets to clean up the basement?

Serv pro is there right now. I may be scoring a free dehumidifier out of this.

lumberjim 06-27-2013 05:26 PM

Oh, an important note.... That is not my washer. That is the one that was abandoned in the basement. Mine is upstairs safe and clean

limey 06-27-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimhelm (Post 868917)

The plumber(who got a $20 tip from me) that came did me a huge solid ...

Ew.

Sent by thought transference

lumberjim 06-28-2013 08:34 AM

I was hoping that pun wouldn't pass unnoticed

ZenGum 06-28-2013 06:49 PM

You were being facetious.

Damn, that is a pretty horrifying mess. Does the whole house stink?

lumberjim 06-28-2013 11:02 PM

Yeah, it kind of does. Thursday night when I came home it smelled very wet and musty ...like a basement. And there were guys from SERVPRO down there cleaning up.

Tonight when I got home it smelled kind of rank but sort of dry. I had to run out right after work to go to the Dave Matthews concert, so I will check it out when I get home.... I'm hoping they dried it out and a couple of candles burning overnight will fix the smell.

lumberjim 06-28-2013 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 44476

Attachment 44477

Dmb. Susquehana bank center

classicman 06-30-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 868926)
Ohmygod I would have to just move out. How incredibly horrific.

I wouldn't even take my belongings. I's just walk away.
urrrgghhhh puke.

lumberjim 07-04-2013 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I just finished an hour and a half paddle on the Rancocas River.

I didn't get any pictures because my phone was in a waterproof case... But here are a couple of the area.

Attachment 44594

Lamplighter 07-04-2013 08:12 PM

Cool pool

lumberjim 07-04-2013 08:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Crazy lots of turtles, too.

Attachment 44597

Here's a wall. .

Attachment 44598

And here's my Jeep
Attachment 44599

footfootfoot 07-04-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 868825)
chimney or hood vent ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 868827)
I think that's a question best put off until the second or third date, at least.

Clod, have I told you how much I love you, lately?

lumberjim 07-06-2013 02:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 44610

We traded this 2006 Yamaha Royal Star yesterday. On paper this is right up my alley. I was going to buy it. But then when I rode it, it felt real big and heavy, and I don't know that I would want this for my daily rider. So I passed.

I did really want to take it to the mountains this weekend though. Amanda and I are going to Lake Wallenpaupack .... It's about a3 hour ride, and that is what this bike is built for. Mine is much lighter and more nimble. Here they are together:

Attachment 44611

The best part of this story is that the used car manager wants to buy the big bike. So we did his paperwork, and a set of fake paperwork in my name, as though I were trading my old bike. He is going to let me take it on this vacation to check it out. If I drop it I've bought it.

BigV 07-07-2013 12:58 PM

I'm guessing Amanda will find the new bike much more comfortable. They are both beautiful though. What is nice on the occasional highway ride isn't necessarily nice day to day in the city. You're doing the right thing to try it out on an extended test drive.