The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Ships (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31974)

xoxoxoBruce 10-15-2018 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh boy, side-pipes...

Carruthers 10-28-2018 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 65379

Quote:

The Royal Navy’s HMS Queen Elizabeth aircraft carrier keeps a benevolent eye on Cunard’s Queen Mary 2 cruise ship off New York harbour yesterday
The Times

Seatrade Cruise News

xoxoxoBruce 10-28-2018 09:14 AM

May be a benevolent eye, but Liz has her nose turned up. :haha:

Gravdigr 10-28-2018 02:02 PM

Leave her alone, her last Corgi just died.

Gravdigr 10-28-2018 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1016396)
Attachment 65169

I saw this picture in a UK newspaper but with little detail of the circumstances surrounding the collision.

My first thought was how did the ferry manage to ram the container vessel amidships in broad daylight, assuming that the photo was taken soon after the collision.

I did a bit of digging and found this from the WSJ:

Anchored? How on Earth....

WSJ Link

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1016692)
Further to my post #108...

Judging by the starboard anchor chain passing over the port side of the bulbous prow, the container ship has rotated somewhat in the collision.

I know little of maritime law, but I thought that there was a requirement to maintain a lookout at all times. Not that I'm suggesting negligence, you understand.

Anyway, there's likely to be a delay in collecting the next consignment of half a million Chinese plastic dog turds. (Guaranteed to break the ice at parties).

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1016694)

That's old news...here's some really good quality silent movie footage concerning it:

Diaphone Jim 10-30-2018 03:37 PM

I've looked back at that thread several times and tried to follow what happened after.
The Ulysse is a roro (rollon-rolloff) ferry that also carries passengers. I have been unable to find out how many and also wonder why there are no people in the pics.

Carruthers 10-30-2018 05:08 PM

I looked at one of the tracking sites yesterday and saw that the Ulysse was in a North African port.
The Virginia is apparently anchored off south east Greece although some of the information was contradictory.
Please forgive lack of detail but I'm not presently on my PC and this iPad doesn't lend itself to researching the finer points of the internet.

I wondered about the operation to part the two vessels and whether they were able to proceed under their own power.
Presumably neither craft was holed beneath the waterline.

Carruthers 11-01-2018 07:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just to tidy up the loose ends...

Animation of the collision from Automatic Identification System transmissions.

Quote:

The Tunisian roll-on/roll-off ferry Ulysse has separated from the containership CSL Virginia after the two collided Sunday in the Mediterranean Sea off Corsica.

French officials said Thursday the ships separated at about 9:30 p.m. due to the combination of wave action and previous attempts to release the vessels.

Both the Ulysse and CSL Virginia remain in the same area as responders wait until Friday day to further assess the situation.
Link

Attachment 65435

Attachment 65436

fargon 11-01-2018 07:33 AM

This is a bad time for RO/RO's.
https://gcaptain.com/incident-video-...-causing-fire/

Diaphone Jim 11-01-2018 12:19 PM

Excellent had a better outcome than Ulysse, but I think both captains may be looking for work.

xoxoxoBruce 11-01-2018 12:33 PM

That animation shows a double tap, I think that's a glitch.

Gravdigr 11-01-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1017971)
That animation shows a double tap, I think that's a glitch.

Double tap...That's what ya get when ya go for a ride out to the pine barrens.

And I love that perfectly boat-shaped hole in the other boat.

Carruthers 11-01-2018 03:46 PM

An acquaintance of mine started his working life in the Merchant Navy so, when I saw him earlier this week, I asked had he seen reports of this incident.
A lack of lookout was the first thing he mentioned and it prompted him to relate the tale of a Greek tanker in the English Channel several decades ago.
The ship was under way but there was no response to radio calls.
It's an exceptionally busy area so the decision was made to board the vessel.
The story goes that the bridge was unmanned and the only sign of life there was a dog.
When the crew were eventually found they said there was no problem as the dog always barked when he saw another ship!

True or not? You can decide that for yourself, but just bear in mind that truth is sometimes stranger than fiction. ;)

Gravdigr 11-05-2018 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Admission: This article is shamelessly copy/pasted from Uncommon Reality.

The SS Warrimoo:

Attachment 65478

Quote:

The passenger steamer SS Warrimoo was quietly knifing its way through the waters of the mid-Pacific on its way from Vancouver to Australia. The navigator had just finished working out a star fix & brought the master, Captain John Phillips, the result.

The Warrimoo’s position was LAT 0º 31′ N and LON 179º 30′ W. The date was 31 December 1899. “Know what this means?” First Mate Payton broke in, “We’re only a few miles from the intersection of the Equator and the International Date Line.”

Captain Phillips was prankish enough to take full advantage of the opportunity for achieving the navigational freak of a lifetime. He called his navigators to the bridge to check & double check the ships position.

He changed course slightly so as to bear directly on his mark. Then he adjusted the engine speed. The calm weather & clear night worked in his favor.

At midnight the SS Warrimoo lay on the Equator at exactly the point where it crossed the International Date Line! The consequences of this bizarre position were many: The forward part (bow) of the ship was in the Southern Hemisphere & the middle of summer. The rear (stern) was in the Northern Hemisphere & in the middle of winter.

The date in the aft part of the ship was 31 December 1899. Forward it was 1 January 1900. This ship was therefore not only in two different days, two different months, two different years, two different seasons but in two different centuries – all at the same time.

xoxoxoBruce 11-05-2018 05:57 PM

That's pretty cool. :thumb2: