The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bikes! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6570)

Griff 10-28-2004 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat
Was thinking about getting an indoor trainer to keep up what progress I've made over the winter, anyone have any experience with these? Waste of money? Worth their weight in gold? Hoping to do another triathalon before I get knocked up and have to be off again for another 2 years.

I just got a new mag one that should be a lot quieter than my old fan one. They are not much fun since you don't have fresh air and such but if you can convince yourself to use it during tv time that can help. I use mine while watching football. I prefer to cc ski in the winter but you need snow to go with the cold. You can get some really expensive high techy trainers that allow you to hook up with your pc and do interval training under race type conditions, cool.

russotto 10-29-2004 02:17 PM

I'm getting this one:

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...te18_Red_l.jpg

Griff 10-29-2004 03:41 PM

Snazzy lil machine! Set yah back a couple bucks?

Griff 11-26-2004 04:15 PM

I just snuck a mtn bike ride in before the sun fell with a clunk. Cold, wet, too much gunfire... close enough to perfect for me. :)

LabRat 11-29-2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
I just got a new mag one...use it during tv time....... prefer to cc ski in the winter ... expensive high techy trainers that allow you to hook up with your pc ... cool.

I have read that the mag ones are better due to increased resistance as you increase speed, vs fan ones where this is not the case. what is your opinion of this? why did you get the new one? was it cooled vs. not? the dude i talked to this weekend at Scheels basically told me that if i don't get a cooled mag one, it would get so hot it would burn up the magnets (and be a potential hazard if my little one touched it) However I know they work on commision, and the cooled one was $100 more... I'm not exactly greg lemond, so I doubt i'd burn anything up. My husband has agreed to donate 1/2 of the price of one for my Christmas present, so now I just need to decide what would be best for me. Although the PC hookup would rock, (seen 'em) in reality I doubt that I'd be spending enough time on the bike to warrant spending that much $$. I am just looking for something to help me keep in shape. I LOVE to CC ski, but the last few winters have been pretty sparse in the good snow dept. Sad, because there are some really pretty trails and golf courses around here to use if I could.

breakingnews 11-29-2004 12:16 PM

The mag trainers get very hot after about 15 minutes, but you're not going to burn up anything (at least not in the short term). It will get extremely hot to the touch though - I have a burn on my arm from accidentally touching the roller too soon after a workout about two weeks ago.

The other option is fluid trainers, which seem to work pretty well. My oldest brother has one - pretty cool gizmo. Has a mountable lever to change the level of resistance on the fly. I actually don't have a cadence sensor - I'm considering one of the new Cat Eyes with the full readout functions.

Griff 12-07-2004 06:29 AM

I broke my seatpost mtn bike riding Sunday morning. I had to do about 40 minutes of single-track standing on the pedals. Wow talk about shakey legs man I had them when I got back. I blame Geor...

LabRat 12-07-2004 10:58 AM

how in the world does one break a seat post?? GWB aside :)

Clodfobble 12-07-2004 01:06 PM

Buns of Steel. :)

Griff 12-07-2004 06:41 PM

There must have been some metal fatigue. The post had about a decade of torque and crashes going for it and was pretty light weight. I was getting up to mash a climb when it snapped, weirdest thing. My weight was against it since I fell over the back of the bike and bruised the back of my left thigh and knee on the exposed seat tube.

wolf 12-08-2004 01:44 PM

You are very lucky to have only bruised yourself a bit.

But you are already in the gene pool.

Griff 12-10-2004 07:27 PM

It was a much closer thing than I wish to consider. Like you said though the youts are already out there preparing their snares, looking to carry my mediocrity forward. Anyway I picked up a new seatpost after work and was treated to a seatpost horror story by the mechanic. It involved a significant amount of blood loss. Looking at the forecast I'm not sure much riding is gonna happen this weekend but I have the trainer and 3 hours of Duce grinding up the NY Jetjetjets to look forward to.

LabRat 12-13-2004 01:05 PM

after some research, I figure i'll probably get a (cooled?) mag trainer. reviews of the fluid ones had way too many people complaining of leaks for my liking. the one that i am leaning towards is a Minoura Hyper Mag, based on reviews on the web. griff, what did you purchase, why, and did you try others? thanks for your time :) haven't gone to the stores yet and actually tried any...

Griff 12-17-2004 05:53 AM

I picked up an Ascent trainer. I got a closeout deal on it from Nashbar. I didn't really check them out that closely but this one looks to be well made. I'm sure the Minoura will be fine. The one I got is much nicer than my old fan model, the bearings are nice and smooth, its quiet so I can read while I spin, and it looks to be well built. Does your trainer come with a block for your front wheel? If not you'll need a block of wood or something to keep your weight back.

breakingnews 12-17-2004 10:42 AM

I have one of these: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4122

I have used a wood block in the past, but I like this gadget because it cradles the front wheel and feels a lot more stable. Has three levels of incline for whatever reason. On sale too! Only $13.

Went to the store yesterday and looked at the new Trek Madone line-up. Great machines. I'd like the SSL model (what Lance's teammates ride; he's on a newer model, the ponte verde or something), but the 5.9 is probably the most I could afford. Maybe a 5.2SL. Must give them a test ride though.