The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RIP, famous person (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24383)

Undertoad 03-16-2019 01:43 AM

Forgot to recognize Mark Hollis, of Talk Talk, who died 2 weeks ago.

Back in the day, we hated musicians who would sell out - take their artistic success and flatten it for a commercial success.

Talk Talk was a remarkable reverse sell-out. In three albums, they went from making new-wavey synth singles ("Talk Talk"), to deeper, more sonically-interesting singles ("It's My Life", "Life's What You Make It")...

Then the fourth and fifth albums "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock" are utterly serious art. Unsellable. The opener is to "Spirit of Eden" is nine slow, deliberate minutes long, and the first two minutes are not song at all. It's almost just noise. Impenetrable. If the first records with singles sold a million, the last two probably sold 50,000 each.

And then, over time, that reverse sell-out paid off. People found the uncommercial records, and realized how goddamn good they were if you put the time in. They are now regarded as superb art. Very influential. Some people feel those records mark the founding the genre of "post-rock".

Spotify reports that the first single "Talk Talk" currently has about 4 million plays. "The Rainbow", that nine-minute opener to "Spirit of Eden", also has about 4 million plays.

I think that is a fine outcome. RIP Mr Hollis.

BigV 03-16-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1028362)
Forgot to recognize Mark Hollis, of Talk Talk, who died 2 weeks ago.

Back in the day, we hated musicians who would sell out - take their artistic success and flatten it for a commercial success.

Talk Talk was a remarkable reverse sell-out. In three albums, they went from making new-wavey synth singles ("Talk Talk"), to deeper, more sonically-interesting singles ("It's My Life", "Life's What You Make It")...

Then the fourth and fifth albums "Spirit of Eden" and "Laughing Stock" are utterly serious art. Unsellable. The opener is to "Spirit of Eden" is nine slow, deliberate minutes long, and the first two minutes are not song at all. It's almost just noise. Impenetrable. If the first records with singles sold a million, the last two probably sold 50,000 each.

And then, over time, that reverse sell-out paid off. People found the uncommercial records, and realized how goddamn good they were if you put the time in. They are now regarded as superb art. Very influential. Some people feel those records mark the founding the genre of "post-rock".

Spotify reports that the first single "Talk Talk" currently has about 4 million plays. "The Rainbow, that nine-minute opener to "Spirit of Eden", has about 4 million plays.

I think that is a fine outcome. RIP Mr Hollis.

https://pour15minutesdamour.blogspot...p-supreme.html

Gravdigr 03-16-2019 01:08 PM

I think someone hacked that website.

It's just gibberish.

:o

BigV 03-16-2019 01:25 PM

Chrome offers to translate the page from French to English on my system.

Quote:

Tomorrow Started (Supreme Pop)

A prince of Pop * is gone. In the summer of 1986 in Montreux, Talk Talk, of which Mark Hollis was the undisputed frontman gave a concert off stars . The announcement of his death made me all shabby.
I wanted to hear the stirring I Believe In You again on the album Spirit Of Eden . Mark had never sung so well.
Despite my promise, I pay tribute to a musician whose albums were bedside records when we thought we were masters - maybe not the world, though ...;) - but in any case radio. Without this, how can one claim to have been young?

* Cataloged a little fast "new pop" in the early 80s, Talk Talk has eliminated the gimmicks of a production dated for album after album, to achieve essential music that flirted with jazz and contemporary classical music.

Photo: Rob Ellis
Listed 3 months ago by R. Claude
Labels: 80's those who leave us britain pop

Gravdigr 03-16-2019 01:57 PM

I was just trying to be silly.

Gravdigr 03-18-2019 05:53 AM

Guitar God, "father of heavy metal", Dick Dale died on Mar 16, of heart failure.

Dick Dale was 81.

And yes. In the vid above, he's playing a left-handed Strat strung upside down.

xoxoxoBruce 03-18-2019 08:16 AM

My god, he was so good, so original, when that would come on in the car my father would turn it up, when my mother was there she would turn it off.

fargon 03-18-2019 08:19 AM

"You Know They Have A Hell Of A BAND!!!" The lead guitar has just shown up.

BigV 03-18-2019 10:10 AM

Dick Dale, King of the Surf Guitar.

His music, invented by and played by him, was in HEAVY ROTATION, during my life at college, and ever since. I had headphones as a kid, but it wasn't until college that I had the freedom to listen to what I wanted, as loud and out loud as I wanted.

And I wanted Dick Dale. And Jon and the Nightriders and The Ventures and The Surfaris and The Bel-Airs and and and... To this day, my favorite surf track is Mr. Moto. Unless it's Miserlou.

You're right, that is one helluva band.

lumberjim 03-18-2019 10:42 AM

Pete was pretty bummed. His ring tone is Dick Dale. I was over at his shop when the news dropped. We immediately changed the record (yes, vinyl) to Dick and we cranked it up. His phone pinged the rest of the night with people texting him the bad news.

Pete had met Dick a couple years ago, and the record we played, he had bought from his hand 2 years ago.

Sad. He was a really cool old dude from all accounts. At the show that night, someone threw their gum up on stage, and Dick picked it up and popped it in his mouth and chewed it for the rest of the set.

slang 03-18-2019 01:44 PM

http://www.progarchives.com/progress...2185122009.jpg

Griff 03-20-2019 08:37 AM

That is a bummer.

xoxoxoBruce 03-20-2019 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dale...

Undertoad 03-26-2019 08:23 PM

You may remember the [English] Beat for "Mirror In the Bathroom" and "Save It For Later". You may remember General Public for "Tenderness" and their cover of "I'll Take You There". Co-founder/singer Ranking Roger, has died of cancer, age 56.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...y-aged-56.html

Gravdigr 04-10-2019 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Remember the movie Quiz Show?

Attachment 67228

Charles Van Doren died April 9. He was 93.