The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Open Your Mouth, And You're Dead (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26884)

classicman 02-15-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Herbert Nitsch, a 41-year-old Austrian, dove more than 700 feet—
assisted by a watersled on the way down and an air bladder to pull him to the surface
—to claim a new world record for absolute depth.
Thats kinda like cheating to me. Of course I can only hold my breath for about a minute.

Gravdigr 02-15-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beest (Post 795548)
I skimmed the article and didn't find any reference to "open your mouth and your dead', maybe it's in the video, but since pressure it equalized it shouldn't matter if you open your mouth.

I got it from the title of the article.

footfootfoot 02-15-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beest (Post 795548)

I skimmed the article and didn't find any reference to "open your mouth and your dead', maybe it's in the video, but since pressure it equalized it shouldn't matter if you open your mouth.

Dude, the first rule of Freediving is You do not talk about Freediving!

Beest 02-16-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 795585)
I got it from the title of the article.

Yeah but they never explain in the article why.

A catchy quote out of context is one thing, a dramatic headline out of nowhere is BS.

I think footfoot has it right.

Pico and ME 02-16-2012 02:14 PM

The title made me think of cliff divers....I would imagine that if they opened their mouth at the worst possible moment it might kill them.

Gravdigr 02-16-2012 02:17 PM

I wonder...If you did open your mouth at say 300 feet, does a person have the strength/force to keep the water from jetting down their throat? What pressure are we talking about, how many pounds per square inch (psi)?

I just assumed the pressure would be too great to keep water out of anything. Eyes, ears, nose, mouth, anus...OMG what about your anus??? Would you have the seawater shits after free diving to depth?

And this...What would your face look like at depth? I have a mental image of the effects of a strong wind on the face, only without the ripples. Like this:

Gravdigr 02-16-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beest (Post 795767)
A catchy quote out of context is one thing, a dramatic headline out of nowhere is BS.

I think footfoot has it right.

3foot probably does...Also, I'm guessing you don't read a lot of newspapers.

:p:

Clodfobble 02-16-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Over the next week, in an event organized by the International Association for the Development of Apnea (AIDA), they’ll test themselves and each other to see who can swim the deepest on a single lungful of air without passing out, losing muscle control, or drowning.
Oh, well that explains it! Someone should tell them they have CPAP masks now.

Beest 02-16-2012 02:28 PM

At 300 feet, about 1300 psi , relative to the surface, but theres no differential between you and the surrounding water.
the lungfull of air you gasped at the surface is now 1/9th the volume though, similarly that fart you were brewing

Lamplighter 02-16-2012 02:36 PM

That org is FOR the development of apnea

Clodfobble 02-16-2012 02:47 PM

Thank you for letting me know.

infinite monkey 02-16-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Over the next week, in an event organized by the International Association for the Development of Apnea (AIDA), they’ll test themselves and each other to see who can swim the deepest on a single lungful of air without passing out, losing muscle control, shitting themselves, excreting fat from their pores, losing their brains out their ears, looking like complete and total morons, impressing anyone, or drowning. The hope is that they will all drown.