The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Domestic Drones (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27241)

classicman 04-24-2012 03:49 PM

Domestic Drones

Neat link

ZenGum 04-24-2012 07:38 PM

Domestic drone? In the old days, we just used to say "wife".

Griff 04-24-2012 08:04 PM

house husband me thinks

zippyt 04-24-2012 09:09 PM

Cool map

BrianR 04-25-2012 09:25 AM

Frightening.

Cyber Wolf 05-01-2012 02:52 PM

How would these be functionally different than a patrol helicopter, cost aside? Or those areas on roads where (they say) your speed is monitored by air? Or is cost the difference?

TheMercenary 05-02-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf (Post 809701)
How would these be functionally different than a patrol helicopter, cost aside? Or those areas on roads where (they say) your speed is monitored by air? Or is cost the difference?

Technological superiority.

Cyber Wolf 05-02-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 809824)

But how? Better cameras? Better maneuverability? Stealthier? All of the above?

I guess I'm asking what can the drone do that the standard police helicopter they already use can't.

Scriveyn 05-02-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 809824)

Vorsprung-durch-Technik-one-upmanship

classicman 05-02-2012 02:32 PM

Unmanned for one., uses less fuel, lots faster, covers more ground etc. and the biggest advantage of all...
Immediate dissident removal almost instantly.

tw 05-02-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf (Post 809876)
I guess I'm asking what can the drone do that the standard police helicopter they already use can't.

Reasons why were made obvious decades ago by the oceanographer Ballard. During a deep sea dive, he suggested his peers view something interesting. Then turned to see them watching in the TV. Suddenly dawns on Ballard. A worst way to discover something is using a man. Machines do this better. And will only continue to better replace men in more tasks. Anything that can put a man distant, safe, and in an unrestricted environment increases performance and results.

Airplanes (like submarines and spacecraft) are significantly compromised as soon as a man is inside. Man requires too many support functions. Most of an airplane is devoted to supporting its man. Man is becoming inferior to machines in most relevant tasks. For surveillance, an unmanned vehicle replacing human eyes with cameras and instruments will always be superior. Because a man without using those machines is already inferior.

Man is only onboard if a reaction time demands it. Even that 'man on board' advantage is quickly disappearing.

In surveillance, quieter, operation at least four times longer, smaller (can even fly lower without detection), more flexible, can sustain much greater risks, invasive, etc. So superior are unmanned aircraft that we now have serious privacy issues that will probably end up in the Supreme Court.

Rules for airspace to support unmanned vehicles require major changes. Therefore airspace approved for unmanned vehicles will take time to develop.

TheMercenary 05-04-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf (Post 809876)
But how? Better cameras? Better maneuverability? Stealthier? All of the above?

All of the above. Don't go there.

BigV 05-11-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 810205)
All of the above. Don't go there.

Don't go where?

The main reason for the increased desire authorities are showing for such technologies is because they can have more surveillance for less money. And I guarantee there will be more surveillance because of it. I heard in one report a reduction in the cost of similar aerial surveillance by a factor of 100.

Will there be an 100-fold increase in the amount of surveillance? Not immediately, but we'll get there, and then we'll pass it. This vastly increased ability will be inevitably accompanied by an increase in unlawful or unjustified surveillance.

TheMercenary 05-15-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 811291)
Don't go where?

AKA, if you only knew.... I don't care about the rest of your lecture even if I agree somewhat...

BigV 05-16-2012 11:19 AM

Jesus, mercy, you sound like my ex wife. What lecture? :bs:

re: "If you only knew." The idea that a public discussion of what effects this technology might have might compromise some kind of operational secret is laughable.

You'd rather we be frightened and ignorant? Or just ignorant? Or just ignorant just so long as you're in the know? I'm guessing it's something like that. Such an attitude utterly disregards the fact that the police work for me. They're answerable to me, as a taxpayer. And that means satisfying my questions about what's going on. Now you're not answerable to me and that's just dandy. But my local police department *IS*, and I deserve and expect answers from them. And I am unfazed by your bluster about "not going there" and about not discussing it publicly.

Now that's a lecture.