The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

DanaC 03-15-2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy (Post 640913)
We enjoyed Zombieland. Not as good as I expected, but Woody Harrellson can do no wrong IMO.

If you like zombie type stuff; there was an awesome miniseries on Brit tv a year or so ago called Dead Set. Well worth getting hold of if you can find it (was released on dvd quite recently I believe). The zombies are the more modern fast running kind of zombie, rather than the old shuffling ones, which gives the whole thing an alarming sense of pace. It's brilliantly directed and also darkly funny in places. Starts off at the Big Brother production centre, with contestants being voted off and the Big Brother house turns into the only safe place.

Very dark in the way Brit horror usually is, but very funny too. Also very character driven. The surviving humans who we follow are all very good actors. There's a disturbing realism to the whole thing despite the glee and gore.

Not much in the way of available clips on youtube; but here's a fanmade trailer that's pretty decent. Certainly gives a flavour of it. I've posted it elsewhere recently, can't recall what thread, because I've on a Charlie Brooker drive lately (he's the one who wrote/made Dead Set). He's one of my recent obsessions :P Worth following the link and watching on full screen.

I will be watching (not on dvd but via itunes, so that counts right ?:P) this evening, GhostTown. I've heard decent things about it.

glatt 03-15-2010 07:28 AM

We watched The Proposal, that light romantic comedy with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, on Saturday night. It was pretty much what you would expect, a light romantic comedy. If you like that kid of thing, you could do worse.

monster 03-15-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellaok2010 (Post 640987)
Did U see AVATAR? So great ! If not , U should try!

looks like we're being visited by our very own Zombie! Excellent! :lol:

Pete Zicato 03-16-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 640999)
We watched The Proposal, that light romantic comedy with Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds, on Saturday night. It was pretty much what you would expect, a light romantic comedy. If you like that kid of thing, you could do worse.

I also saw The Proposal over the weekend with my sister and brother and their spice. It could have benefitted from a punchier ending, but I liked the dialog. There were some good lines.

Margaret Tate: You know I can't swim!
Andrew Paxton: Hence... the boat.

Andrew Paxton: [as Margaret slowly descends the ladder to the dock] Congratulations. I'm a hundred.

Gravdigr 03-18-2010 01:16 AM

Just watched "The Informant". What a turd.

DanaC 03-18-2010 07:13 AM

I watched a really funny little brit film last night; called FAQ About Time Travel. It's available via itunes and i can highly recommend it. It's very small scale and low budget, but I thought rather good nonetheless.

Crimson Ghost 03-19-2010 12:52 AM

"Chaos and Cadavers".

Trilby 03-19-2010 07:14 AM

"Mad Men" seasons 1 and 2.

Love me some Don Draper.

DanaC 03-19-2010 07:54 AM

I am just getting into a new show. I downloaded and watched the pilot last night (on itunes...not strictly speaking a dvd but good as :P). Was very good: Burn Notice.

Shawnee123 03-19-2010 07:56 AM

I'm waiting for the 3rd and 4th disk of the first season of Twin Peaks, but I probably won't have them for tonight, maybe not even for tomorrow.

I never saw it when it was all the rage. I'm loving it!

Clodfobble 03-19-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC
I am just getting into a new show. I downloaded and watched the pilot last night (on itunes...not strictly speaking a dvd but good as :P). Was very good: Burn Notice.

Oooh, yes, big fans of Burn Notice here. It's stayed strong through all the seasons so far, too. Bruce Campbell always makes me smile.

DanaC 03-19-2010 11:57 AM

It was seeing Bruce's name in the cast list that made me give it a go. I love him, he's marvellous.

Clodfobble 03-19-2010 01:23 PM

I have no idea if this part of American culture ever reached you or not, but the mother is played by Sharon Gless, who was Cagney in Cagney & Lacey. Lacey makes a brief cameo in a later season.

DanaC 03-19-2010 01:27 PM

Oh Cagney and Lacey was huge here in the 80s. It was one of those shows that my whole family would watch.

Pete Zicato 03-19-2010 10:37 PM

District 9. Very inventive. Quite a good action movie.