The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Virtual Forks (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34982)

monster 05-12-2020 06:47 PM

...just being prepared....

monster 05-17-2020 01:55 PM

in an hour?

fargon 05-17-2020 01:58 PM

See you then.

limey 05-17-2020 02:56 PM

yep

BigV 05-17-2020 04:58 PM

We're still forkin it, come on in!

monster 05-17-2020 05:18 PM

Sorry I had to dash out -a few things to deal with and a mask to sew before dark (still working on that, rest done. I think....)

Cool Freaks Wikipedia Club on Basefuck

DanaC 05-17-2020 05:36 PM

I'm just not very sociable at the moment. Text chat is about my speed just now :P

fargon 05-17-2020 09:21 PM

I fell asleep and had a good nap.

monster 05-18-2020 12:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished the mask (It's for Bajaboi who starts a summer internship tomorrow -remotely for 2 more weeks, but has to go in to sign the docs and pick up his computer)

Attachment 70623

BigV 05-18-2020 12:40 AM

Nice work! Do you have a link to the pattern you used?

monster 05-18-2020 01:14 AM

erm...

I used the pattern from a site called craftpassion (because the shape looked good) but ignored any instructions they might have given. I adapted it to add a pocket for a removable nose wire (pipe cleaner) at the top so it can be shaped to the face. (I extended the material at the top of the outside piece so it could be folded over).

I did a prototype before this one to work out how to make the pockets for the elastic and wire. I used a loop of round cord elastic going through both pockets to form two straps round the back or over the top of the head as desired, like decent swim goggles, rather than one small loop through each pocket to go round the ears.

Didn't change from the prototype for this one, but next one I will add more height, because beest gifted bajaboi a majestic snoz that could do with a little more coverage and this top is straining a little as it is.

monster 05-18-2020 01:15 AM

so "not really" is the short answer ;)

Clodfobble 05-18-2020 06:51 AM

Nice work!

glatt 05-18-2020 07:34 AM

That's a really fine looking mask.

I've got several n95 masks kicking around. But am saving them for trips inside stores, and if they make us go back to work, I'm going to want an n95 for when I ride the subway.

But for walking around the neighborhood, which we do a lot, I like the idea of cloth masks. My wife made some masks out of t-shirt material. Two layers, and I found that I can slip a number 4 coffee filter between the layers. We got a new coffee maker last year and have something like 200 of the old number 4 filters from the old coffee maker left over. And I got a stiff wire from my shop to slide in along the top of the mask so I get a really tight fit at my nose.

It's not made nearly as well as your mask, Monster, and takes 30 seconds of so to get the layers lined up correctly and the coffee filter situated in place properly. But it feels like it fits well. When I breath in, the whole filter collapses against my face as I suck air in, so I know very little is leaking in through the sides. and my sunglasses don't fog up at all, so very little is leaking out the edges and around my nose when I breath out.

I found a good website [maybe this one?] that lists the effectiveness of various household materials at filtering. It was interesting.

sexobon 05-18-2020 10:54 AM

With some artistically arranged googly eyes on it... you'd have a fine Coat of Arms!