The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What happens to cards left in an ATM machine? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13339)

WabUfvot5 02-14-2007 12:33 AM

What happens to cards left in an ATM machine?

What happens to cards that get sucked into an ATM machine? Are they shredded? Just had one sucked in today. Punching the machine did make me feel better but I'd feel better knowing the card will be destroyed. For all I know they could be resold in bulk. I'm sure there are people who don't call and cancel the card.

Hoof Hearted 02-14-2007 12:42 AM

I would think they would be collected by the bank staff who should contact you shortly...then either the problem will be resolved or it will be shredded.

Urbane Guerrilla 02-14-2007 12:54 AM

Happened to me once, so I contacted them next day. Then went on my way, rejoicing. And re-carded, if the cause of my rejoicing was unclear. ;)

WabUfvot5 02-14-2007 01:53 AM

But the bank staff can't call if you're not a member of that bank.

Ok, the story goes I got a letter saying I had some $ in an account. Cool, I had completely forgotten. So I go to the place and find it's changed ownership. Ok, maybe I can just withdraw the $ (or most of it) at the ATM machine. Pop card in, enter pin, then how much I want. UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS. Machine keeps the card. I punch machine, people look concerned at move away. Lost a card in that same machine before (accidentally) so this just set me off. Never got contacted the last time but both cards are canceled. Did, however, set me thinking on just what does happen to them.

Sundae 02-14-2007 03:22 AM

The card should be returned to your bank, who will contact you if you have not already cancelled the card.

I lost my card last year because I had a fuzzy head and entered my PIN incorrectly 3 times. When I went into my bank to report the card missing the member of staff gently chided me for not using the ATM in the branch - apparently I could have had the card back same day if I had. I didn't have the heart to tell her that I needed the cash 2 miles away at 08.00 because I had a hangover and wanted a fried breakfast and a bus ride to work.

Happy Monkey 02-14-2007 10:26 AM

I've done it twice. Apparently Bank of America will keep it for a week and then destroy it.

xoxoxoBruce 02-14-2007 06:18 PM

:lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jebediah (Post 315591)
UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS. Machine keeps the card.

Even the machine knows you're not to be trusted.

WabUfvot5 02-14-2007 11:08 PM

I just got that look about me :lol:

KinkyVixen 02-17-2007 07:52 PM

Depends on the bank. If it got left in an ATM that your bank does not own, chances are it will be destroyed and you just need to call your bank and have them shut down the old one and order you a new one.
If it's in an ATM that your bank owns 1 of 2 things will happen, they will automatically resend it to you or they will destroy it. Either way, it wouldn't hurt you to call your bank and let them know. The faster you do, the faster you will get a replacement.

kelliekd 02-25-2007 11:59 PM

The bank that I work for sends them to the bank the cards are issued to. We are not allowed to give them back to people because of security reasons, but by sending them to the bank of origin, the possible fraud that was the reason the machine ate the card in the first place can be better looked into. That way the hassle of reissuing a card is avioded.

JayMcGee 02-26-2007 07:36 PM

They are held until Christmas,

WabUfvot5 02-26-2007 08:50 PM

Thanks. Nice to know there is a policy of some sort pertaining to them.

nowhereman 02-27-2007 07:52 AM

If the ATM that kept your card was one of those stand-alone deals (like in a convenience store), I would contact the bank immediately and cancel the card. Too many stories about fake ATMs and identity theft.
(Maybe I should change my name to "paranoidman"). :3eye:

Shawnee123 02-27-2007 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nowhereman (Post 318627)
If the ATM that kept your card was one of those stand-alone deals (like in a convenience store), I would contact the bank immediately and cancel the card. Too many stories about fake ATMs and identity theft.
(Maybe I should change my name to "paranoidman"). :3eye:

I wouldn't worry. I think those cards go nowhere, man. :rolleyes: