The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   good music on youtube (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13372)

zippyt 12-04-2009 09:11 PM

I gotz the FUNK !!!!

zippyt 12-04-2009 09:12 PM

zippyt 12-04-2009 09:19 PM

Luven Billy's Fro !!!

zippyt 12-04-2009 09:26 PM

zippyt 12-04-2009 09:44 PM

I know I have posted this befor but DAMN ITS GOOD !!

DanaC 12-05-2009 07:37 AM

After all that funk, I fancy something soaring:)

I don't think I posted in the celeb deaths thread when Murray Gold died earlier this year. I really should have. He was an amazing composer. He was responsible for the music of Doctor Who. This piece is called Song of Captivity and Freedom. The vocalist has the most wonderful voice. It's a beautiful piece of music. Doesn't matter if you've never watched/heard of the Doctor. This is a stunning piece.

And from the previous series soundtrack (I may have posted this one before, but i can't recall and I want to post it again :P) This Is Gallifrey: Our Childhood Home, as performed live at the Proms. This shows, I think, the class of Murray Gold's work. He's such a loss.

Radar 12-05-2009 12:12 PM

I've heard a lot about the Dr. Who show, but have never seen it. As I understand it, there were two Dr. Who series. The music was very nice. If the show is as good as the music, I have really missed out.

DanaC 12-05-2009 02:38 PM

Classic Doctor Who ran from the early 60s until the late 80s. Was revived for a movie in the mid 90s with a co-production between BBC and an American network. That was not picked up and the hoped for series didn't happen. The franchise continued in books and comic strips for about another 10 years and then a new Who was launched in 2005; this time with the BBC pouring money into the project and giving the team pretty much free reign. Everything prior to 2005 is considered Classic Doctor Who, everything after is New Doctor Who. They are stylistically very different, primarily because of the budget and the fact that it's come out of a different era with different sensibilities. But the character is a continuation of the original. It is still essentially the same story (a time traveling and ancient alien who picks up companions as he travels) but with a slightly different flavour.

In the new show the character and backstory have become much darker, with the Doctor now the last of his kind and (it's hinted) responsible for the genocide of his own race, whom he sacrificed as the only way to stop their enemy the Daleks, who'd have wiped out all life in the universe (etc etc).

It's a fun kids show though at heart. Occasionally silly, occasionally challenging. Nice sense of legend and mythos. The fact that it's been going for 46 years ( I think) means it has gathered many layers.

lumberjim 12-05-2009 05:02 PM

acoustic hey ha

Griff 12-05-2009 05:38 PM

nice

Stormieweather 12-12-2009 11:53 PM

deleted because obviously i'm too mentally challenged to link you tube properly.

ZenGum 12-18-2009 04:53 AM

Presuming you are familiar with Beyonce's Single Ladies, you may find this amusing.

DanaC 12-18-2009 05:48 PM

Don't know if this will be available outside the UK, but I'll try posting it and we can see :)

A little Christmas spirit courtesy of The Priests. I love these fellas, they have such beautiful voices. They're absolutely lovely in interview as well. Here they are singing my favourite Christmas hymn.

Silent Night

And, just because I adore this song, here they are singing Panis Angelicus:

Clodfobble 12-18-2009 06:39 PM

1.) Lovely singing voices.

2.) Are they the kind of priests that are allowed to be gay? Because they're not fooling anyone.

DanaC 12-18-2009 06:44 PM

*chuckles* I think they're supposed to be celibate. Liking men isn't a sin in the eyes of the Catholic Church; having sex with them is:P Though, for these boys, given that they've taken a vow of celibacy, having sex with anyone is a sin. I suppose wanting to have sex at all is probably a sin...impure thoughts and all that...but that's what absolution is all about. It's all just temptation sent to try them :P