The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's scorching your groove today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18360)

monster 07-14-2011 09:30 AM

Moving the goalposts

yesterday, i sucked it up and payed the deposit and USA registration fees for the boys' hockey and Hebe's Pay-to-Play fee for high school swimming. I shelled out $670 non-refundable. Last night I learned from the local news that the Board of Ed was righting and planning to increase the pay to play by at least $100 despite the season already being underway and people being financially committed...... And this morning I learn that apparently when the hockey board says

Quote:

Important 2011-12 Fall/Winter House, Girls, and Travel Program Fee Information:

Program fees are expected to be near last year's. Final costs for House, Girls, and Travel programs will be dependent on the number of registered players per team and program. The fees for instructional programs do not change based on number of players. A list of programs can be found below. Your non-refundable registration fee is applied toward your total program cost. Adjustments in rates from last year are driven by changes in ice time based on input from participants. We strongly encourage you to register your player early.
They must consider a 30% increase as "near" because that is the figure being circulated.

My groove is truly scorched and some people are going to get singed from the fall-out......

Lola Bunny 07-15-2011 12:04 AM

Man, that sucks big time, Monster.

Perry Winkle 07-15-2011 07:25 AM

I think that if they're going to increase the costs significantly, they should offer refunds.

monster 07-15-2011 12:44 PM

Ok, so I emailed the hockey board and got confirmation that there is no big increase coming......

and then I heard today that that still wasn't the impression of most of the board.... and they are horrified the word "got out".....

and my "source" found the "there might be increases for some age groups as we increase ice time......" get-out clause.

the plot thinkens and the politics are getting nasty, i hear....

footfootfoot 10-24-2011 11:15 AM

Let me just say this about that

The car needs a new timing belt AND new plugs and wires and snow tires as winter will be here pretty soon. To change the plugs, the engine needs to be pulled, because of that, Platinum spark plugs are installed with the attending cost associated with platinum.
The car is also suffering form an intermittent won't start problem that rectifies itself after 2-24 hours. Not always convenient when you are out and about, tolerable when you are in your own driveway. No one has any idea what causes this.

Figure it's going to be about $1,000 to do all the work.

No heat or hot water this morning. Go downstairs to reset the boiler switch and see a fairly respectable pool of water and a drip coming from the boiler. Nice. It needs a cleaning anyway, $150. but this leak looks like a big part needs to be replaced. Could be $500 or more.

Just took delivery of a 1/3 of a tank of oil. $356.

I realized we haven't paid the garage for the last repair they did, $336.

Goddamn kid lost his $50 climbing harness TWO HOURS after we bought it.

total in checking and savings: $96.

It's gonna be a fun week.

HungLikeJesus 10-24-2011 02:08 PM

But look on the bright side - someone has topped up the tip mug and it's only the 24th.

(Thanks, generous tippers.)

monster 10-24-2011 05:36 PM

oh dear lord feetz, you must've been bad in a former life. Two hours? Is there any chance you can find it?

ZenGum 10-24-2011 10:04 PM

Quote:

To change the plugs, the engine needs to be pulled, because of that, Platinum spark plugs are installed with the attending cost associated with platinum.
WTF?

The only cars I've heard of where you need to pull the engine out to service it are a few varieties of Ferrari. I guess similar super-performance-damn-the-expense cars might be the same, but a guy with $96 in the bank probably doesn't have a Ferrari.

What are you driving?

monster 10-24-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 766481)
What are you driving?

mrsfeetz mad?

Griff 10-25-2011 05:39 AM

Dude, are you in some kind of deep mystical relationship with this car? It doesn't sound like she's worth the trouble.

Trilby 10-25-2011 06:18 AM

Foot - I feels ya.

I had a similar run of expensive bad luck for a while (lasted from July to just about now)

You ever see that commercial where a big cyborg comes crashing down the street and the guys go, "there goes Dwayne's car....there goes Dwayne's house...there goes Dwayne. Man, that thing does not like Dwayne," - well, I felt like Dwayne.

hang in there, footsie. If it doesn't get worse it might get better.

footfootfoot 10-25-2011 11:07 AM

thanks guys

2004 Hyundai Sonata.
175,000 miles. Problem free until now.

HungLikeJesus 10-25-2011 12:22 PM

It wouldn't have many miles on it except for that one trip you took to the moon.

jimhelm 10-25-2011 12:26 PM

SHIT, FOOT.

footfootfoot 10-25-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 766585)
It wouldn't have many miles on it except for that one trip you took to the moon.

The trip home really hammered me.