The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Recent Movies You've Seen? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21617)

Juniper 12-12-2009 12:51 AM

Recent Movies You've Seen?

Since I'm on break from school and am trying to avoid anything resembling work, I've been on a movie kick. Not in theaters -- I'm too poor for that. :) We rent from Blockbuster and Netflix and also watch a lot of streaming movies at Netflix.

Recent movies I have watched, and my very brief opinions:

Slumdog Millionaire: Lovely movie, very sad, but inspiring
Lost In Austen: LOVED it.
Vanity Fair: Very good interpretation of a book I couldn't force myself to finish.
Walk The Line: I was seriously not impressed. Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash? Not even close.
The Remains of the Day: I love Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson, 'nuff said.
Of Mice and Men: Also love Gary Sinise and John Malkovich, but wow, it's so creepy.

Anyone else want to add your recent views, and opinions?

I'm always looking for good books & movies. I like historical stuff the very bestest :)

Pico and ME 12-12-2009 04:27 AM

Watch Ink. Its available on Netflix.

Qice 12-12-2009 10:29 AM

Julie and Julia - watched it last night - was light-hearted and funny.

Datalyss 12-12-2009 01:18 PM

Dr. Who and the Daleks on Youtube
The Dalek Invasion of Earth on Youtube
Rush Hour 3 on HBO 2

Juniper 12-12-2009 01:27 PM

Oh, DH and I saw Julie & Julia in the theater. Loved it.

Sundae 12-12-2009 03:37 PM

I treated myself to Paranormal Activity.
Wonderful.

Afternoon showing, so only about 10 of us in the cinema.
Perfect, because of the long, silent stretches of the film.
It's far better to see it in the cinema, but I can see how it could be completely ruined by other people.

The audience were well spaced out (in seating terms!) and very respectful. Silences remained silent. Tension built.

No screams but a lot of jumps and shivers along my arms. Non-one left the cinema until the lights came up and music went on. For me it was because I wasn't 100% sure it had finished. I think that was the case for the others (who were sat further back - me being the only bint cheeky enough to snag a luxury seat when I'd paid for standard). Or they may have been too scared...!

Thank FSM there were no mirrors/ reflections used in the filming of this movie. As it was, it spooked me but I went happily to sleep that night. Buttons pushed, but not the panic button.

DanaC 12-12-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datalyss (Post 616933)
Dr. Who and the Daleks on Youtube
The Dalek Invasion of Earth on Youtube

All your past sins are forgiven

Datalyss 12-12-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 616973)
All your past sins are forgiven

Meaning?

Juniper 12-12-2009 09:39 PM

Meaning that if you're a Dr. Who fan, she wuvs you.

Trilby 12-15-2009 08:29 AM

I saw Fabulous Mr. Fox and LOVED it. Was funny, clever, adorable in an un-treacly sort of way, and made me believe in Foxkind again.

I thought Julie & Julia was lame - the book was much, MUCH better.

Juniper 12-15-2009 11:00 AM

Just watched "The Duchess" -- blech. I don't care for Keira Knightley very much.

Son rented "Knowing" - I'm not a fan of Nicholas Cage or freaky disaster movies, but I guess it was all right as such things go.

Last night I watched "Wine for the Confused" starring John Cleese - an educational film. I'm not much of a wine drinker, though I do have it occasionally and it's good to know at least a little about it lest some pseudo wine snob try to call me out. Good to at least know how to pronounce Shiraz or know whether Riesling is white or red. :)

Cloud 12-15-2009 11:05 AM

Star Trek. I saw it once in the theaters and liked it; now that I have it home, and have watched it a bunch more times, I'm really liking it.

It's fascinating to watch how they have entwined the old and new; and to watch the actors interpret the familiar characters. I especially like Kirk's voice, for some reason. I like the music, too--movie music is very important to me.

Happy Monkey 12-15-2009 11:13 AM

Another pair of thumbs up for Fantastic Mr. Fox over here.

freshnesschronic 12-15-2009 12:24 PM

The most recent movie I watched was Angels and Demons. I thought it was great, though to people who read the book, did it do it justice?

Sundae 12-16-2009 06:44 AM

Fresh!
Good to see you back.

I thought the book was sucky.
Then again, I always rad his books (someone always has one available to lend me) and I always think they suck.

NOT going to see the film, but I expect it is better.
Films usually have plot holes your could drive a four-in-hand through, but they dazzle you with lights and noises and such. It's more obvious in a book.