The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   What Guts Do (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31299)

xoxoxoBruce 10-07-2015 09:41 PM

What Guts Do

1 Attachment(s)
Show the kids what the gooey, greasy, grimy, gopher guts, they see on the side of the road, actually do.
It really explains people guts but you can translate into gopher, or cat, or whatever you find.
link

glatt 10-08-2015 07:27 AM

"I hate your guts."

Where did that come from? Seems like it was a 70's saying. Weird one though.

xoxoxoBruce 10-08-2015 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Dictionaries
The Shorter Slang Dictionary (1994) says:
hate (sb's) guts to dislike (sb) intensely. Adopted from the USA around 1937.

The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English (2008) says:
guts noun 1 the stomach; the general area of the stomach and intestines. Standard English from late C14; slipped into unconventional usage early in C19 UK, 1393. 2 the essentials, the important part, the inner and real meaning UK, 1663.

And:
hate someone's guts to hate someone intensely UK, 1918

The Historical Dictionary of American Slang has a similar "I hate his intestines" from 1901, and according to chief editor Jonathan Lighter: "Guts being regarded in that far-off age as rather vulgar."
~~~~~~~~~
Antedating
I found a 1913 (and possibly 1912) antedating. Within The Law was a Broadway production in 1912, written by Bayard Veiller. Here's an extract from the 1913 book based on the play (plain text / full view) "by Marvin Dana from the play of Bayard Veiller":

"Was there any bad feeling between you and Eddie Griggs?"
Garson's reply was explicit.
"Never till that very minute. Then, I learned the truth about what he'd framed up with you." The speaker's voice reverted to its former fierceness in recollection, of the treachery of one whom he had trusted.
"He was a stool-pigeon, and I hated his guts! That's all," he concluded, with brutal candor.

The same line appears in 1917 books of the script, and I expect it was also in the original production which was first performed at Eltinge Theatre, New York, September 11th 1912.

Via ADS-L is a 1911 found by Garson O'Toole:
[ref] 1911 June 3, Seattle Daily Times, Stenographic Report of Today's Testimony, Quote Page 8, Column 6, Seattle, Washington.(GenealogyBank)[/ref]
[Begin excerpt] You further said: "I hope I may never see my mother alive if I ever gave the ---- a cent. I never had use for him, and I hate his guts." [End excerpt] (The dashes above represent a single long dash.)
link

glatt 10-08-2015 11:32 AM

Well I knew it as a kid and haven't heard it much recently. And I remember when Fonzie said it to Richie for some reason, but Richie was only trying to do what was right and good for Fonzie.

lumberjim 10-08-2015 12:06 PM

I hate it when some douche says 'I love your guts' to his audience. I hate his guts for saying that

xoxoxoBruce 10-08-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 941251)
Well I knew it as a kid and haven't heard it much recently.

Same here, of course my language and the language of people around me, has become stronger since then, so it naturally faded. But I had no idea what the history was, that's why I googled it.