The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

infinite monkey 01-11-2015 02:05 PM

Oh guys. Love ya, but you're way off. There's a clue in a post here somewhere. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 01-11-2015 02:08 PM

Trailer.

infinite monkey 01-11-2015 04:36 PM

ding ding ding!

I thought that was common knowledge. Yeah, I know all the jokes, they don't bother me. And mine is nice, with an extended living room, my LR is huge...and it's all mine. Mine mine mine mine mine. :)

But of course it has downfalls. What place doesn't?

Wendy: Yea... ya wanna know what's great? Last night I woke up in the middle of the night to make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich... and ya know, it was my kitchen, it was my refrigerator, it was my apartment... and it was the BEST peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I have had in my entire life

--St Elmo's Fire

limey 01-14-2015 01:17 PM

It is pretty windy here. Since the Great Snow of spring 2013 the electricity board has been more attuned to our possible needs and has despatched a fleet of burger vans to feed us if the power goes off. I am sitting here, fearless, with my trusty wind-up lantern at the ready!

Sent by thought transference

Carruthers 01-14-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 919119)
It is pretty windy here. Since the Great Snow of spring 2013 the electricity board has been more attuned to our possible needs and has despatched a fleet of burger vans to feed us if the power goes off. I am sitting here, fearless, with my trusty wind-up lantern at the ready!

Four hundred miles south and the wind speed is increasing although unlikely to be as high as in Arran. The houses at this end of the road are fed by overhead power line so as soon as branches begin to fly, off goes the electricity. It'll probably go off in the middle of the night when I am wide awake and listening to the radio.
Just a couple of houses towards the centre of the town, the electricity supply is underground so their power rarely fails.
Anyway, what it all boils down to is that there's a conspicuous absence of burger vans.

xoxoxoBruce 01-14-2015 07:01 PM

The commercial airliners flying from here to Europe the other day, had a 200 mph tailwind, pushing them close to the speed of sound. They were cutting an hour off the flight, but made for some hairy landings. :eek:

Griff 01-14-2015 07:05 PM

This afternoon i found out that temperature can have two digits, balmy.

Carruthers 01-14-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 919132)
....as soon as branches begin to fly, off goes the electricity. It'll probably go off in the middle of the night when I am wide awake and listening to the radio.

Well, it's blowing a gale here, it's nearly 2am, I'm listening to the radio and the power hasn't yet failed.

Three out of four. I'm happy with that.

Griff 01-15-2015 06:33 AM

I wonder if Carruthers managed to stay in place last night?

Freezing fog is our event today... well it's pretty anyway.

Carruthers 01-15-2015 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 919221)
I wonder if Carruthers managed to stay in place last night?

The gale subsided somewhat abruptly at about 3.30am and no damage was done.

My dad always worries about a large conifer at the bottom of the back garden.
About fifty years ago the children of previous owners planted their Christmas tree as did the kids next door.
Even with roots, they rarely last very long but both survived and thrived.
It's a bit difficult to judge the height but it must be about fifty feet tall.
If it fell straight towards the house it probably wouldn't hit it but I don't want to find out!
What complicates matters is that it grows on a fairly steep slope down towards a stream and I don't think that it is very deep rooted.

Anyway, problem avoided once more. Phew...

Thanks for asking, Griff.

limey 01-15-2015 07:15 AM

Meanwhile, it's still blowing a houllie out there. Remarkably we haven't had a power cut yet. Mr L and I decided to sleep downstairs as we thought the rattling slates on the roof would keep us awake. Instead the wind booming in the chimney kept us awake. The gusts are supposed to have peaked about an hour ago, at around 74mph. It does seem to be subsiding a little, now.

glatt 01-15-2015 08:04 AM

74mph!

Picture your house, sitting on the back of a truck, zooming down the highway at 74mph. Not exactly an aerodynamic sight.

Carruthers 01-15-2015 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 919230)
74mph!

Picture your house, sitting on the back of a truck, zooming down the highway at 74mph. Not exactly an aerodynamic sight.

From the Aberdeen Press & Journal Saturday 10th Jan 2015:

Quote:

Record breaking winds caused a day of disruption in the north – with further bad weather expected this weekend.

Wind speeds topped 140mph at the summit of Cairn Gorm at the height of the storm.

A gust was recorded at Stornoway Airport of 113mph, equalling a record set in 1962.

busterb 01-15-2015 10:00 AM

I see city workers, down the street working on water lines. The dumb asses only cover with a few inches of dirt. 14º other night didn't do them any good.

limey 01-15-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 919230)
74mph!

It was pretty noisy. But we only seem to have lost a couple of slates off the roof. It's quite a bit calmer now, thank gawd!