The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Show us your 80's hair (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15636)

Spexxvet 10-19-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 396648)
Abuser is a noun, so it shouldn't have a hyphen at all. A hyphen indicates that the first adjective modifies the second term (which must be an adjective or adverb.) One who is both a dick and an abuser would have to be a "dick/abuser."

Communicating is the important factor, regardless of punctuation. Limpjism is a dick and an abuser. I hope communication has taken place. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 396457)
...My point is... Every single one of your multitude of very very, er, extreme opinions are treated like fact by you - like god's honest truth, haha. And any opinion that you disagree with,
... is 'just an opinion' and is thereby completely ignored or brushed aside by you.
It's wrong, and its intellectually dishonest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 396845)
...he's the one being a jerk and being unable to listen to (or, at least, consider) any criticism at all. It's childish and immature.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 396951)
... If you've formulated an opinion on it, you dont care about anyone else's opinion because yours is right, and if you havent you dont care what they have to say because you dont care about whatever theyre talking about. You don't debate, you tell people why you're right and then skip the whole listening to them part, and just say you're right again....

Can I convince you that you're mistaken here?

busterb 10-19-2007 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mid 80s, I guess. G st. Belle Chasse,LA

Ibby 10-19-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 397085)
Can I convince you that you're mistaken here?

Well, honestly, no - because my only point is that Rob is unwilling to listen to criticism, and uh, he not only doesn't deny it but, he's proud of it.
If you can show me an instance where he says or does otherwise... fine.

Spexxvet 10-19-2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram (Post 397102)
Well, honestly, no - because my only point is that Rob is unwilling to listen to criticism, and uh, he not only doesn't deny it but, he's proud of it.
If you can show me an instance where he says or does otherwise... fine.

With all due respect, your first sentence sounds like something you're accusing RK of saying.

"No" - I can't convince you that you're mistaken.
"Rob is" - stating your opinion as fact.

jester 10-19-2007 11:16 AM

Monster - I liked the Troll Hair

monster 10-19-2007 11:18 AM

Thank you. If I had time I'd start shopping photos of dwellars into really nasty 80s styes (especially those who will not let it lie....), but i have a house to bulldoze for my sprog's bday party tomorrow and I'm procrastinating. badly.

monster 10-19-2007 11:19 AM

maybe I'll find my wedding pic at the bottom of all the piles of crap....

monster 10-19-2007 11:20 AM

hey quick, post some more non-argumentative stuff, maybe we can pop this thread onto the next page before anybody realizes. I am planning to find my pics and scan them one day, honest. I still had my 80s hair in the 90s. That's how sad i am, fashion-wise

ZenGum 10-19-2007 11:34 AM

My most notable 80s haircut was partly an accident.
It was at a high-school pool party, and two girls said to me that I needed a haircut. I agreed, since it was a great way to sit still and have two nice young lasses stand very close to me. In swimsuits. Hmmmmmm. Gentle grooming behaviour.
Pity they were not quite so skilled at cutting hair as one might have hoped. Nah, who cares, and the next day a professional hairdresser was consulted and found the only solution to be a number three crew cut all over. It grew back, but not before I had convinced one teacher I was getting chemotherapy and another that I was turning Buddhist.

glatt 10-19-2007 11:40 AM

I have a few bowl cut pictures of my hair in the very early 80s back when I was younger and my dad would cut my hair.

It wasn't until I got to college and was off on my own in 1985 that I got a real haircut by a pro. Maybe this belongs in the "how poor were you thread."

Home grown bowl cuts may look OK on a kid, but they are a bit pathetic on a teenager. Anybody want to see some pathetic pictures? I can look for them.

ZenGum 10-19-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 397155)
I have a few bowl cut pictures of my hair in the very early 80s back when I was younger and my dad would cut my hair.

It wasn't until I got to college and was off on my own in 1985 that I got a real haircut by a pro. Maybe this belongs in the "how poor were you thread."

Home grown bowl cuts may look OK on a kid, but they are a bit pathetic on a teenager. Anybody want to see some pathetic pictures? I can look for them.

Yes please.
Anything to gt this thread on a new page.

glatt 10-19-2007 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK.

This was me in 1982. All awkward and skinny with a bad hair cut. Actually, the haircut isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. This was just after my freshman year in High School. (9th grade)

I didn't know how to pose for a picture. Who puts their hands on their hips like that? They are backwards.

Ok. That's enough self criticism for one picture.

glatt 10-19-2007 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a better picture. This was around September or October of 1982. We were in Pompeii and were trying to recreate the Abbey Road cover on the cool crosswalks they have there. My older brother is in front, and I'm in the back with bare feet. Can you tell that we haven't showered in about 2 weeks? We had been camping through Italy and there were no showers.

ZenGum 10-19-2007 12:11 PM

Well done for posting the first pic, that photo is not a forgiving one.
Camping/backpacking through Italy must have been cooooool. How old were you? I'm guessing about 15, since you mention being int he 9th grade at the same year. Is that right?

jester 10-19-2007 12:13 PM

My hairstyle hasn't changed that much over the years either. First, I've never colored it - totally scared to death, that it will be some awful looking color. I have had a couple of perms - I'll post one "graduation pic" - my best friend did the perm - should have known to do "only a wave" rather than "curly perm" egads. One other I'll post - maybe get them both next week.

G - you should have been hugging a tree or something. That way it would have looked less "posey"