The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New Video Thread (old one takes too long to load) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32275)

BigV 02-26-2017 04:54 PM

I think that's Austrian for ROAD CLOSED.

Also, this is why U shaped valleys are evidence of glaciers and V shaped valleys are evidence of rivers.

That is a lot of momentum.

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2017 06:12 PM

It blew me away that it didn't follow the creek but just kept going straight.

BigV 02-26-2017 07:45 PM

creek bed almost certainly full by that point, even the frothy tops of the flow are house high. the creek "overflowed".

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2017 10:03 PM

It came down the creek but instead of following the bed where the creek bent, it went straight across and down the road. The mass that was pushing overflowed over that hill and down to fill the creek, at the same time the far side was going over the roof of the house, but the point kept on moving straight until there were enough places for the pushing mass to fall off the sides. Amazing.

BigV 02-26-2017 10:06 PM

The path of least resistance

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2017 10:47 PM

If I was down there I'd have a traction problem. Slippin' in shit... mine.

Gravdigr 02-27-2017 04:01 PM

That was wild. Slowest avalanche evah.

xoxoxoBruce 02-27-2017 10:40 PM

Boston Dynamics is getting really scary. :eek:

Gravdigr 02-28-2017 02:08 PM

Wicked.

Gravdigr 02-28-2017 04:27 PM

glatt 03-03-2017 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been fascinated, perhaps even obsessed, with the Oroville Dam. At first, I was trying to figure out if there really was a danger to the towns below when it was overflowing. But now, I'm focused on just how bad the damage was.

The videos we all saw of the torrents of water coming down the broken spillway and over the emergency spillway were taken from so far away, the scale of the thing is just not possible to comprehend. This dam is massive. Even in this post, I try to show a picture of how massive it is, but files size restrictions won't let me.

Look at just the EDGE of the damaged spillway. Now look for the people. How many do you see? None? Look closer.
Attachment 59622

What I really encourage you to do is to check out the videos from drone footage from the California Department of Water Resources. Here' one from yesterday. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpXtMZwpDqs Make sure to watch on a computer in 1080 mode with the video at full screen. It's amazing. As of this writing, only 178 people before you have looked at this video.

After it's over, take a look at some of their other videos.

Then look at some before pictures of the spillway. It looked perfectly fine.

Those fucking libtards in California, right? Ignoring that engineer's report that the dam spillway needed some maintenance. It's easy to think that this is just an isolated incident in California. But you've all seen those occasional news stories that come out that talk about old bridges that need work, and infrastructure, blah, blah, blah.

There is an Oroville Dam type of infrastructure problem in basically every city and county in the US. Not a dam, of course, but a bridge, or a highway, or a metro system, or a tunnel, or an overpass. You know which ones. You pass them all the time and ignore the crumbling concrete and rusty rebar poking out. They are EVERYWHERE.

This country was built by our grandparents, and its expiration date is here.

Good thing we're fighting about illegal immigrants.

But yeah, check out the videos. They are amazing. The scale.

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2017 03:57 PM

This one shows the spillway that was damaged and the emergency spillway before and after the damage. Skip the first 1:15

Griff 03-04-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 983425)

This country was built by our grandparents, and its expiration date is here.

word.

We've been putting stuff on the back burner since the '80s. I hope Trump has buddies in heavy construction because I think we all know how this administration works.

Griff 03-04-2017 08:07 AM

The avalanche footage was amazing.

Undertoad 03-04-2017 08:45 AM

How can any of us reg'lar folk tell whether the state of infrastructure is acceptable? Once in a while there is a bad failure but I can't tell whether it's neglect or error. I don't know what "maintenance" is and how much of it is needed, and I don't know what "inspection" reveals and whether it's good enough.

The only thing I know for sure is, making it more political will make us dumber and angrier about it and will lead to a greater number of failures. Somehow this part needs to be left strictly in the hands of engineering, and out of the hands of politicians and the general public.