The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

SteveDallas 06-06-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 571202)
:lol:

Actually, I was suggesting * I * have borderline schizophrenia - excessive punning is one of the early symptoms.

Is it really? I may have a problem.

Anyway: my more-than-mild irritation (though less than upsetting): annual reviews. (Even though it was actually yesterday.)

Shawnee123 06-06-2009 11:38 AM

Got my annual review after six months. It went well, but I still have a problem with "well, you're fairly new and don't know all our procedures yet. They take that into consideration except that's why you didn't score higher there."

Shouldn't it all be relative? Do I know more than a newbie off the street would at 6 months? Well, yeah.

Eh, those things are fairly worthless, most of the time.

classicman 06-06-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 571295)
Got my annual review after six months.

Hmmm - I think that was a telling preface.

Shawnee123 06-06-2009 12:46 PM

Just what are you trying to say, c-man? :eyebrow:

SteveDallas 06-06-2009 03:31 PM

Not really... lots of places mandate an early review for new folks (where I am it's 90 days) to determine if the new hire is working out. The 90 days is considered a probationary period.

Shawnee123 06-07-2009 11:06 AM

As they considered my position a "professional" position (whatever that means) there was no probationary period. That's the way they do it, anyway.

I think they just have to do them at the same time every year.

edit: I think annual raises hinge somewhat on the reviews. In my last job, the review process was rudimentary, and everyone got the same 3% no matter how badly you sucked...except for the years we got nothing, or 1%, because the finances sucked.

Cicero 06-07-2009 02:53 PM

I am in awe of my own outrageous stupidity at times. Really. I am having one of those moments where I really do question any intellectual capacity that I thought I might have had. Don't worry, this is momentary...I will continue to delude myself with a false sense of lobal greatness tomorrow.

I irritate myself a little.

capnhowdy 06-07-2009 04:09 PM

I reckon if you wanted us to know why, you'd have posted it. I'm curious.

.....slinks off and waits.........

Bullitt 06-08-2009 09:40 PM

Got a whole bunch of new paintball stuff over the past week, found out my compressed air tank needs a hydrostatic test (pressure safety) and it's going to take two weeks to get it back. All my sweet new gear and it gets to just collect dust until I get my tank back, ugh.

Sundae 06-09-2009 02:35 PM

You know how my system reacts to red jalapenos, right?
Yes you do, I told you in detail last time.

Well someone silly on this side of the screen had them again today.
And they are having a similar effect.
Ouchie.
My poor poop-chute. Irritating indeed. You could stick a corpse up my arse for a cremation.

Trilby 06-09-2009 02:47 PM

I'm just sitting here. Just sitting, typing.

and sweating.

dar512 06-09-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 572179)
You know how my system reacts to red jalapenos, right?
Yes you do, I told you in detail last time.

Well someone silly on this side of the screen had them again today.
And they are having a similar effect.
Ouchie.
My poor poop-chute. Irritating indeed. You could stick a corpse up my arse for a cremation.

That sound like more than a mild irritation, SG. :eek:

A friend of my parents had a similar problem and someone suggested that having a big bowl of ice cream after the hot food might alleviate the symptoms.

The story goes that after one of these incidents his wife was walking past the bathroom and she heard, "Come on, ice cream."

Anyway, hope you feel better soon.

Clodfobble 06-09-2009 10:58 PM

What's irritating me today is the fact that my brother and my father fundamentally can't communicate, and it is still my job after 20-odd years to translate between the two of them.

Aliantha 06-09-2009 11:00 PM

I feel for you Clod. There are relationships like that in my family too. I suspect it's fairly common actually.

Take heart though, at least they actually try to talk right?

Clodfobble 06-09-2009 11:38 PM

I kind of wish they wouldn't. Not just not talk to each other--both of them could stand to not talk at all. :)