The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's For Breakfast? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23077)

fargon 12-01-2010 08:04 PM

Today I had oatmeal bars and yogurt, tomorrow I'm having biscuits and sausage gravy, and eggs YUM.

Clodfobble 12-01-2010 10:55 PM

For awhile now breakfast every day has been a sliced banana covered in 24-hour fermented goat yogurt (28.8 billion CFU per serving! declares the bottle,) topped liberally with honey. I've been craving it on a regular basis ever since I started eating it.

DanaC 12-02-2010 04:53 AM

Cigarettes and coffee again.

wolf 12-02-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 697349)
My boss just gave me a quart can of John McCann's steel cut Irish oatmeal. I don't know if it's any good, but the can is freaking awesome. Looks like a can of paint.

She openly admitted it was a re-gift and she had no desire to spend 30 minutes making oatmeal.

This is the most wonderful stuff in the world, and is absolutely worth the 30 minutes of close attention that the cooking process requires. Make a whole batch, eat 1/4, put the rest in the firdge in a microwavable container. I hate American Style Wallpaper Paste (I can't bring myself to call the Quaker stuff oatmeal), but I love McCann's. Awesome nutty roasty flavor.

Watch it like a hawk in the early stages, it has a tendency to froth up and boil over no matter how big the pot is! You can be more relaxed during the half-hour of simmering. I have never tried the soak overnight method. I do have a friend that does the crock pot while she's sleeping method (from Alton Brown's Good Eats) but says you either need to wake up early, or put in some extra liquid to have it work properly.

footfootfoot 12-02-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 697597)
Sounds like the recipe for diarrhea and coughing... very bad combination. :haha:

From a Dennis Leary routine:
You ever smoke a big, fat bag of crack and then drink a whole bottle of Nyquil?
I mean, what's the point of being high if you're just going to cough?

Shawnee123 12-02-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 697723)
Cigarettes and coffee again.

We really should do breakfast sometime! Easy enough to make, and chock full of my favorite things. :)

bluecuracao 12-02-2010 07:53 PM

Big cup of delicious hot coffee with soy milk, and a whole wheat bagel with hummus.

I also had chocolate cake afterward, but I'm counting that as lunch.

glatt 12-04-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 697390)
we'll try the oatmeal out on Saturday. I'll report back.

The oats were a bit rancid. It was a new, unopened can, but I think it was old. Can't find a date on it. The date must have been on the inner liner I threw away. I made a batch, and it was yucky.

I threw the rest away, but the can is pretty neat. My son asked for it, so I gave it to him.

richlevy 12-04-2010 09:36 AM

Hopefully maple turkey bacon. I moved it from the freezer to the fridge to defrost last night.:yum:

From a linguistic standpoint notice how 2 of the adjectives are also nouns. We could say 'a maple' or 'a turkey'.

From a food perspective this combines 3 tasty items in one package maple syrup, turkey, and bacon.

I've never actually tried this brand or maple flavored bacon before, but I have high hopes. :thumb:

wolf 12-04-2010 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 698293)
The oats were a bit rancid. It was a new, unopened can, but I think it was old. Can't find a date on it. The date must have been on the inner liner I threw away. I made a batch, and it was yucky.

I threw the rest away, but the can is pretty neat. My son asked for it, so I gave it to him.

That's a shame. It is worthwhile going out and getting a new (and hopefully fresher) can. Perhaps the seal's integrity was violated somehow? Unopened oats should have a pretty long shelf life.

glatt 12-04-2010 12:48 PM

My boss had two cans she was giving away. I think one had just come in the mail as a gift and she realized she had an old unopened one in her pantry. Her secretary must have gotten the new one and I must have gotten the old one. Oh well. Next time I'm in whole foods, which is about once a year, I'll check the bulk food section and see if they have any I can try for cheap.

Pico and ME 12-04-2010 12:52 PM

Glatt, Quaker Qats sells the steel cut variety and it aint bad....check your grocery local grocery store. I used to get it at my grocery store but they stopped selling it (just one more reason I hate middle hoosierland!)

monster 12-04-2010 04:41 PM

turkey bacon, veggie burgers... whats the point? ugh. And don't even consider turkey burgers -even the cats wouldn't eat them. and they eat all sorts of unidentifiable nasties.....

richlevy 12-04-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 698405)
turkey bacon, veggie burgers... whats the point? ugh. And don't even consider turkey burgers -even the cats wouldn't eat them. and they eat all sorts of unidentifiable nasties.....

I agree with you on the turkey burgers, but if you put enough nitrates and salt into turkey bacon, it tastes just like the real thing.

I was used to my other brand of turkey bacon, so I put some olive oil in the pan to make up for the usual lack of fat. I didn't need to worry, this brand was thick cut and they must have some pretty fat turkeys, because it was just as fatty as pork bacon. Pretty good.

I took pictures, but the camera is downstairs.

According to this site, out of the 45 calories in a single slice, 20 calories is fat. Bless them.

http://www.fitclick.com/how_many_cal...Free?fd=420854

footfootfoot 12-04-2010 08:33 PM

Oatmeal 7.
Oatmeal 7 is better than regular oatmeal. In fact, it is 7 better than regular oatmeal (The way mom makes it) Dad makes Oatmeal 7 which is only one better than oatmeal 6.

Oatmeal 7 is:

Rolled oats, the slow kind, not instant.
Milk or half and half
pinch of salt
vanilla extract
butter
Maple syrup, or brown sugar, or honey (No you can't have all three, that's disgusting)
Cinnamon

Add it all together and cook it. It's Oatmeal 7 and it's better than regular oatmeal.

My kids ask for it by name.
GFCF must make the appropriate subs with almond milk or something.