The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ebay Bargains & Oddities (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20241)

classicman 05-08-2009 01:04 PM

Ebay Bargains & Oddities

SECRET ROCKET DATA ON EBAY
Quote:

Kim Jong Il must be sorry he missed this eBay bargain -- for $29, he could have had launch procedures and blueprints of a US missile defense system.

Instead of helping North Korea's nuke efforts, the data on a used computer hard drive ended up in the hands of a Virginia college professor, who promptly turned it over to the FBI.

Glenn Dardick, who teaches information systems at Longwood University, found the missile-system details on a hard drive one of his students bought on eBay.
Not really weird news and thought this might be a neat new thread...

Shawnee123 05-08-2009 02:00 PM

Thar's god in them thar feesh sticks:

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2008/03/...9151205984309/

Quote:

"I went to cook them one day and I poured them out into the pan and there were three kind of fused together in a way that made three mini crosses, and the way they fell on the pan it looked just like the hill where Jesus was crucified," Landis said.

Landis decided to auction them off in an effort to raise money for a family van.

EBay has a policy against selling food items, however.

At some point, shouldn't people be embarrassed by their own stupidity?

Sundae 05-08-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 563899)
EBay has a policy against selling food items, however.

Really? I've bought food on eBay before.
Still, perhaps they were trying to save her from herself.

Not in the same league as missile system data, but it always makes me smile when I see shoes aimed at fetishists. First time I saw one - when genuinely looking for shoes! - I couldn't quite work it out. But who would want to buy a pair of sweaty, old... oh, right.

A recent example.
Quote:

WELL WORN LEATHER BALLET PUMPS, SIZE 7 FROM NEW LOOK.

HEAVILY STAINED AND AROMATIC INSOLES AND A HOLE WEARING IN THE SIDE OF THE SHOES BUT OF COURSE THESE SHOES WILL BE CLEANED AND FRESHENED UP PRIOR TO POSTING.

Shawnee123 05-08-2009 03:55 PM

I read later that these teenagers who were trying to sell a cornflake shaped like Illinois (or Indiana, one of the I states) got around it by selling the coupon redeemable for the cornflake. lol

I don't know...I'm not sure the article was correct in that, though.

Stormieweather 05-09-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 563947)
I read later that these teenagers who were trying to sell a cornflake shaped like Illinois (or Indiana, one of the I states) got around it by selling the coupon redeemable for the cornflake. lol

I don't know...I'm not sure the article was correct in that, though.

That is similar to how some gaming people sell game accounts (which is usually not legal to do). They sell a redeemable coupon or a chance in a drawing or reimbursement for time spent leveling, but in no way are they actually selling the account itself, you see? Technically, anyway.

monster 05-09-2009 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 563946)
Really? I've bought food on eBay before.
Still, perhaps they were trying to save her from herself.

Not in the same league as missile system data, but it always makes me smile when I see shoes aimed at fetishists. First time I saw one - when genuinely looking for shoes! - I couldn't quite work it out. But who would want to buy a pair of sweaty, old... oh, right.

A recent example.

I love the way they promise ebay that they will be cleaned before shipping as per regulations. i wonder how much the surcharge to the customer is for shipping without cleaning?

wolf 05-10-2009 12:03 AM

I enjoy the haunted or cursed tarot decks ... they are otherwise unremarkable used decks, but with the right description, the price bounces from $9 to $90 almost immediately. I've seen a couple go for completely insane prices.

DanaC 05-10-2009 04:58 AM

I will admit to having paid a ricockulous amount of money for a paperback doctor who novel...it was rare...and absolutely essential as it was part of a wider story arc...if I could have got a non-rare copy for less, I would have.

SteveDallas 05-10-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 564271)
I enjoy the haunted or cursed tarot decks ... they are otherwise unremarkable used decks, but with the right description, the price bounces from $9 to $90 almost immediately. I've seen a couple go for completely insane prices.

Where do I go to learn how to curse the decks?

Trilby 05-10-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 564403)

Pirate School.

Stress Puppy 05-10-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 564403)

I'll teach you how.

For a fee.

ZenGum 05-10-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 564416)
Pirate School.

:notworthy