The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Cupcakes (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29951)

Aliantha 03-04-2014 04:07 PM

Cupcakes

3 Attachment(s)
I have decided to see if i can develop a little business with cake making etc. Over here cupcakes are the bees knees at the moment, so that will be my marketing focus, with offers to do full sized cakes available.

Here are some i did yesterday.

Attachment 46954

Attachment 46955

Attachment 46956

BigV 03-04-2014 05:26 PM

So pretty! Yum!

glatt 03-04-2014 05:30 PM

They are pretty popular here too. Yours look good!

xoxoxoBruce 03-04-2014 05:39 PM

Yeah, I read the cupcake thing is happening here too. The big cities have cupcake trucks which have a route where they park at several locations at different times throughout the day.

Of course they are constantly trying to come up with new gimmicks like flavors, colors, or decorations. They are expensive to, commonly $5. But I'd expect anything delivered, any convenience, in the big cities to be pricey.

Lola Bunny 03-04-2014 06:14 PM

Cupcakes are the rage here in the U.S. Here's my take on it as a consumer. It must taste good. :lol: Sounds like a joke, but I'm actually serious. Some are too sweet, not moist enough, good but I can make it too, etc. Although it's $3, $4 a pop, I would buy it if it's something it's something extremely good that I can't easily make at home. Don't underestimate a very good chocolate or strawberry cupcake. And as Bruce said, presentation is also important although I notice that many people don't even eat it.

Yours, by the way, are pretty. Too bad I don't live nearby otherwise I'd give you a taste test review. :D

Aliantha 03-04-2014 10:06 PM

I will sell those ones 6 for $10. They are just vanilla, but i am going to do some easter themed ones soon. I will post pics when i come up with a design.

Lola Bunny 03-04-2014 10:49 PM

I meant that many don't eat the frosting.

glatt 03-05-2014 07:22 AM

6 for $10 sounds too reasonable to me. If you charge more, people will think they are special and desire them more. I'd go 6 for $15.

And I just looked up Georgetown Cupcakes prices to compare. $2.75 each • $15 half dozen • $29 dozen

Sundae 03-05-2014 07:37 AM

Ali they look gorgeous, and I don't even like cake much.
Good luck.

As well as pretty (as people buy with their eyes) how about including some of the things which are inexplicably popular, like peanut butter and bananas. I would personally make me run a mile, but that sort of weirdness seems top go over well with most people.

BigV 03-05-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola Bunny (Post 893951)
I meant that many don't eat the frosting.

?

You have seen people buy a cupcake and then don't eat the frosting?

Are you sure they're not just scraping it off and taking it home to add to the zombie apocalypse privation preserve (zapp!)? Cuz... that's nutz.

Lola Bunny 03-05-2014 12:03 PM

Yeah, they eat the cake then throw the frosting away. Well, this is what I saw from people who ate at the shop. Don't know about those who take them home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Happy Monkey 03-05-2014 12:08 PM

I don't particularly like most frosting (especially what they put on most commercial sheet cakes), and I'll avoid the extra frosty bits if I'm cutting my own bit of sheet cake, but I haven't thrown away the frosting from a cupcake.

Though, now that I think about it, eating something that is bad for me and I don't really like seems even more nutz.

glatt 03-05-2014 12:43 PM

We've been doing the cupcakes for a couple years at work for our department parties. My boss loves them, so she orders dozens and dozens. I stopped eating them since I decided to be healthier. I just didn't enjoy them enough to make it worth the unhealthy factor. But back when I did eat them, I'd often only eat about half the frosting. Kind of taking bites from the bottoms and the sides and leaving a big bite of frosting at the top for last to toss in the trash.

xoxoxoBruce 03-05-2014 01:10 PM

For an office party, I should think they would make way less mess than cutting/serving a cake. Makes sense as a market target, Not for Ali, but if you have the capability of big orders on short notice.

glatt 03-05-2014 01:16 PM

Absolutely. For birthday parties too. Those cupcake cakes are popular for the kids parties for that reason.