The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

zippyt 04-10-2008 12:15 PM

give it time Bri , give it time

TheMercenary 04-12-2008 09:00 AM

Tax day is in 3 days.

Sundae 04-12-2008 11:33 AM

HM woke me up today. This has happened before in a similar way.
I'm going to have to say something about it.

Everyone grows up with some of their parents' issues (a la Larkin) and mine is that I think it is selfish, unreasonable and disrespectful to wake up someone when they are sleeping. To decide on their behalf - in this case without knowing the circumstances - that it is now okay to make a racket, especially when said person has two jobs, one day off a week and has tiptioed around for 6 months because of different sleep patterns... Can you see that I'm wound up?

I'd probably try to swallow it, but we've had a couple fo HUGE rows where I have done something that to me was fairly minor and he has reacted as if I was breaking every social rule and norm and was utterly selfish and wrong. I'm not doing this as revenge, but in view of his reaction I feel I am justified in trying to establish my personal views on him.

The actual situation was nothing dramatic - he got a call at 11.30 which obviously woke him up. I had been reading & dozing, and had my earplugs out because sometimes the cats make a racket and I lure them back to bed. After his call - during which I just lay there, not having properly woken - he put his radio on full blast. Bye-bye any chance of drifting back off.

I know it sounds SO lazy. But it's more the principle.
I could racket round the house every morning getting ready for work - and again when I come back from work at the pub and wake the bugger up. But why would I? He'll be up early enough/ late enough when he's working again - it's no skin off my nose to be quiet in the mornings or after midnight. I just don't like the idea he thought, "Well it's gone 11.30. I can do what I want."

It's symptomatic of various things he does where I approach it with him in mind (ie if he's in bed when I get home I keep quiet or if there's toothbrush confusion as recently I check with him - he just threw mine away because he decided it wasn't being used). And yet I still get told off for being selfish sometimes. I need to learn to speak up when I am unhappy.

Oh dear - I was so clear on this when I was woken up. I was so convinced I was in the right. Typing this I sound like a lazy slacker with an axe to grind.

How irritating.

lushchocolateswirl 04-12-2008 07:04 PM

Nope. You havent said anything here that would constitute laziness or being unreasonable. (but then again of see shades of your partner in mine so I do feel for you)

SteveDallas 04-12-2008 08:06 PM

Quote:

What's mildly irritating you today?
Everything.

DucksNuts 04-13-2008 04:18 AM

even me?

elSicomoro 04-13-2008 04:24 AM

Especially you!

DucksNuts 04-13-2008 04:38 AM

Kiss my arse, syc.

elSicomoro 04-13-2008 04:44 AM

I love you too, Duckie Baby. :)

DucksNuts 04-13-2008 04:48 AM

I was never good at hiding my true feelings :p

Trilby 04-13-2008 08:10 AM

Hey, my JP came out friday so I'm good! so...uh, I guess nothing is mildly irritating me--except sundae's rude HM and she is NOT being lazy or grinding an axe--the guy is being rude.

DanaC 04-13-2008 09:49 AM

SG you're not being lazy. Then again, he is not being unreasonable imo wanting to be up and active and noisy at 11 am. Neither of you are being unreasonable on this. He is not up and about at some ungodly hour wrecking any chance of a sunday lie-in at that time...but then again you are entitled to want your day to start when you want it to and not have morning imposed on you earlier than you'd wish.

I wouldn't make a issue out of it SG, it's just one of those things. It's impossible to share a house with another person ( I think) without your needs/desires/styles conflicting from time to time.

Sundae 04-14-2008 06:17 AM

I feel like such a loser.
I've been drinking too much recently - I recognised that myself - and I told myself it had to stop this week.
So yesterday afternoon, when I finished in the pub I "allowed" myself one more day before the cut off point of Monday morning.

So I stayed drinking with some of the regulars, right up until closing time.
I suspected one of them was chatting me up, but knowing he had a girlfriend reassured me that it was all harmless fun. Then he walked me home and I snogged him and we even had a bit of a (clothes on) fumble.

I feel awful.
Part of it is drink-guilt (where I feel horrible about myself the next day regardless) but a lot is just shame.

I can't do anything about it now, except promise myself it won't happen again. I just wanted to confess to someone I think, hoping to get it out of my head!

Oh and Dana I think you're right about the waking up thing. I'm calmer now - I tend to lose it a bit when it's just happened. I haven't really seen him all weekend and it wouldn't be right to bring it up now. I might mention it casually at the end of the week, just in terms of "I'm going to have a lovely lie-in on Saturday, I'm really looking forward to it." That was it's a positive reminder not an angry response.

SteveDallas 04-14-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 445421)
Everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 445475)
even me?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 445477)
Especially you!

I said "everything." Not "everyone."

Though it's still early . . . . . :eek:

warch 04-14-2008 10:27 AM

Aaahhhk.
A great coworker for 8 years is about to get the ax and there is nothing I can do and there will be huge fallout. I know it but she doesnt yet. and I have to play like I dont know cause I'm not supposed to know.
She had the audacity to speak plainly to her supervisor who is now firmly revealed himself to be a dick, as is our big boss. She was very professional, but he was not. Its all infantile. Now my supervisor, a lateral person in the power scheme is also threatened with firing (shes worked here for 20 years) for trying to be an adult and sit all down and talk. And I am in the toxic wake. The big boss is stomping around like a psycho. I have my headphones on, can't really work, so I this is my plea for sanity. Is anyone out there? Why cant people with power be fair and sane?

BigV 04-14-2008 11:21 AM

630 messages in my junk mail folder. *mostly* junk.

Cicero 04-14-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warch (Post 445779)
Aaahhhk.
A great coworker for 8 years is about to get the ax and there is nothing I can do and there will be huge fallout. I know it but she doesnt yet. and I have to play like I dont know cause I'm not supposed to know.
She had the audacity to speak plainly to her supervisor who is now firmly revealed himself to be a dick, as is our big boss. She was very professional, but he was not. Its all infantile. Now my supervisor, a lateral person in the power scheme is also threatened with firing (shes worked here for 20 years) for trying to be an adult and sit all down and talk. And I am in the toxic wake. The big boss is stomping around like a psycho. I have my headphones on, can't really work, so I this is my plea for sanity. Is anyone out there? Why cant people with power be fair and sane?

I'm not the voice of sanity or anything...But when she does get the axe, (8 year co-worker) tell her you are willing to be a professional reference for her. That is one thing you can do, considering that she was the one that did a good job there. When I quit my last job because everyone else was being terrible, I was offered that by the accountant and the other manager who believed that I was the one doing the good job, and empthazied. It doesn't make the situation any more fair but at least she will have the validation of knowing she did the right thing, and when she moves into another position and they want to talk to someone at her last company that she spent a long time working with, they will have someone credible to talk to. In my situation at my last job, I'm not going to actually use them as references, or even indicate that I was employed there (too short term) but it was good knowing that people are there to back me up if I need the ref.

Professional references don't just come from old bosses, they can come from people you worked closely with.

Keep your head low and try to put on your invisibilty cloak for now warch.
:D

TheMercenary 04-14-2008 02:02 PM

Tax Day is in less than 24 hours. I applied for an extension to the end of the month.

monster 04-14-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 445847)
Tax Day is in less than 24 hours. I applied for an extension to the end of the month.

So you'll go another 15 days just moaning about the upcoming deadline and then........ :p

Just do it and file it ffs

Flint 04-15-2008 08:14 AM

I'm NPO for an IVP and my Q1 IT QA is due this PM. TMI?

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2008 09:22 AM

AB, CD goldfish?
L, MN no goldfish.
OSMR.

LabRat 04-15-2008 10:10 AM

WTFITAA???.

I tanned for the first time in years last night. I am pink after only 10 minutes. And it itches. Yes, I used good (Swedish Beauty) lotion.

Undertoad 04-15-2008 10:53 AM

My work mouse has decided to send a double-click randomly when I click.

So I have bought a new home mouse and will take my home mouse to work, not only to get past this weird double-click nonsense but also to address my ever-present tendinitis.

Flint 04-15-2008 10:56 AM

Trackball.

dar512 04-15-2008 12:08 PM

Seville, der dago.
Tousin buses innarow.
Nojo, demis trux,
summit cowsin summit dux.

BigV 04-15-2008 12:11 PM

Killer traffic on the Loop, dar?

lookout123 04-15-2008 01:01 PM

That tug I felt in my stomach after my 2nd shot on goal Friday is now a little tender. But it should be fine. Now if only I could do something about this strange bulge I have sticking out of my abdomen to the left and just below my belly button.

Damn, I think I may have torn the muscle and have a hernia.

Cicero 04-15-2008 02:02 PM

Ooh. Better get checked out there lookout!

I am not sure where to put this because I am irritated and almost upset about this mysterious bite I have.

I thought I was allergic to mosquitoes but now I have a mosquito bite that looks normal next to another bite that is forming a nasty sore and is swelling up my foot. This started happening when I moved here and I don't know if it's an allergic reaction to the area mosquitoes or if it is, in fact, a spider bite. Every time I get these bites I have massive swelling and a nasty sore that develops, it itches worse than anything ever, and if I scratch it, I feel like I am on fire. I went to the doctor and spent 250.00 cash and 250 more some odd dollars in billing for the doctor to circle the wound and tell me if the redness gets outside of the circle to come back. :(

It wakes me up at night it itches so bad...and it's just gross. I can't fit my regular shoe on so I need to put on a flip flop and hope I don't get bitten again. Sometimes it's worse than other times. I've seen spider bites and it looks close but never gets to where the venom eats up that portion of the body. I heal ok. You guys are lucky I have a crappy camera, I already tried to photograph it and my lens sucks, blurry...uuugh! :)

I have never see anything bite me...I usually wake up in the morning and start to itch...by 12 hours later I usually have an open sore that begins to develop. It doesn't happen to my husband so I assume I am allergic to something, if it were a poisonous spider it would bite him too. When I look closely there are two red dots where the skin is punctured, as it looks every time I swell up like this.

I can't spend 500 dollars out of pocket to get no where again...

Anyone know what it might be?!? Sound familiar? What is eating me alive?

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2008 02:21 PM

Does it look like this?

http://www.nwoutdoorgrrl.com/images/...cluse_bite.jpg

Cicero 04-15-2008 02:27 PM

Quoting myself:
~snip~I've seen spider bites and it looks close, but never gets to where the venom eats up that portion of the body.~snip~

I get an open sore but it heals after awhile and isn' that large. I saw that photo last year when I was looking for the solution to the problem.
;)

Cicero 04-15-2008 02:53 PM

lol! "Skeeter Syndrome"-thanks I found it!

I was reading someone's reactions on the Princeton website, and the lady sounded just as miserable as I am, and just as itchy and swollen...That's probably it....Apparently I am not the only one in the world that is extremely allergic to mosquito mucus. Must be the NM "skeeters" as this hasn't happened anywhere else. I am going to go find a possible suspect.

skysidhe 04-15-2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 446058)

Is that you!? What is it? :eek: *faints*

----------------------------------------------------------
My petty annoyance:
I ate all the cookies. After working on my mom's flower bed on Saturday she gave me a bag of lemon cookies. I just ate the last two. They were so awesome I am glad they are gone because I would have munched my self to death. Death by lemon cookie.:drool:

HungLikeJesus 04-15-2008 04:34 PM

That's the result of a brown recluse spider bite. It's not anyone I know.

Razzmatazz13 04-16-2008 10:49 AM

Why is it that when I tell my mom I'm coming over at *noon* because she's working 3rd shift, and needs some sleep, she calls me now, at 11:45am and yells at me for being late?

Clodfobble 04-16-2008 11:59 PM

Newborn projectile poop, splattered across the curtain and down the wall. Three feet away. No exaggeration. Fortunately, everything came out in the wash--I would be pissed if I had to replace those curtains; I like them a lot.

SteveDallas 04-17-2008 08:24 AM

Ahhh, memories . . . .

LabRat 04-17-2008 08:43 AM

:lol: at Clod. I am just a little bit less jealous now :D

dar512 04-17-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 446403)
Newborn projectile poop, splattered across the curtain and down the wall. Three feet away. No exaggeration. Fortunately, everything came out in the wash--I would be pissed if I had to replace those curtains; I like them a lot.

I also visit another forum for bassists. Just yesterday I read this:
Quote:

I, honest to God, was about to type in my own similar story, except my daughter's projectile poo flew across the nursery and splattered on the curtains. I was horrified, yet strangely proud.

We tried to wash the mess out of the curtains (they were, of course, white), but it stained permanently. I refused to replace them, however, as I wanted her to survey her handiwork when she was old enough to appreciate it.
I had to go check to see if this had been posted by Mr. Clod. But it turns out the other post was from last September.

dar512 04-17-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 446019)
Killer traffic on the Loop, dar?

Reminded of this by HLJ's ABCD post.

HungLikeJesus 04-17-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 446545)
Reminded of this by HLJ's ABCD post.

... Which was inspired by Flint's post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 445953)
I'm NPO for an IVP and my Q1 IT QA is due this PM. TMI?

elSicomoro 04-18-2008 05:17 PM

The media is gonna run this shit into the ground...Jesus fucking Christ.

We had a 5.2 temblor early this morning followed by a 4.6 aftershock later in the morning. It woke some people up, scared the shit out of others and caused some minor damage, mostly near the epicenter in Southeastern Illinois. I didn't feel the aftershock, but I watched it, as our bookshelf started rattling.

And that's the end of it...but of course, the local media will milk it for as much as possible. Time to watch something else.

TheMercenary 04-20-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 446080)
That's the result of a brown recluse spider bite. It's not anyone I know.

I suspect that is post debridement and now they are just letting it heal secondarily.

Shawnee123 04-21-2008 11:13 AM

Yeah, I didn't know about all that until they were talking about it at work Friday. I slept through it, though one cow orker said his bed was shaking.

Didn't feel the aftershock either. I miss all the fun.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 446776)
The media is gonna run this shit into the ground...Jesus fucking Christ.

We had a 5.2 temblor early this morning followed by a 4.6 aftershock later in the morning. It woke some people up, scared the shit out of others and caused some minor damage, mostly near the epicenter in Southeastern Illinois. I didn't feel the aftershock, but I watched it, as our bookshelf started rattling.

And that's the end of it...but of course, the local media will milk it for as much as possible. Time to watch something else.

Sundae 04-21-2008 12:08 PM

My mouse is squeaking

Shawnee123 04-21-2008 01:29 PM

I just really really really want this page to advance one so's I don't see leg-canyon pic when I open it. :)

SteveDallas 04-21-2008 01:40 PM

It's very rare that I'm able to help someone out with so little effort.

http://kbarger314.smugmug.com/photos...86_dFXAn-L.jpg

EDIT: dammit, I thought that would be enough to flip the page. I guess I'm not as helpful as I thought. :cool:

EDIT: My first edit pushed it over the top.

Shawnee123 04-21-2008 02:13 PM

Canyon leg--gone! Thanks so much. I'd much rather see a purdy bird when I open the link.

No offense, HLJ. ;)

lookout123 04-21-2008 03:00 PM

My insanely sunburned back. stupidstupidstupid. i'm always so good about putting sunscreen on, but apparently i forgot yesterday before working in the yard from 1-3. no, i didn't feel it happening.

Razzmatazz13 04-21-2008 10:43 PM

Hehe, I'm very badly sun burnt from my date on saturday, so I know the feeling....And it's a farmer's tan too....with a stripe...

Cloud 04-23-2008 02:27 PM

fic writers who write:
"tact" instead of "tack" (as in, a new direction);
"baited" instead of "bated" (as in, waiting with bated breath); and
"loose" for "lose," dammit!

Shawnee123 04-23-2008 02:29 PM

What writers are you reading who do that?

Miss Easy Bake Oven Master's Degree said the other day in a meeting: for all intensive purposes. I wanted to smack her.

HungLikeJesus 04-23-2008 02:29 PM

What's a 'fic writer'?

Cloud 04-23-2008 02:30 PM

fanfic writers--

"would of" instead of "would have" also makes me want to scream. In speech, it's not so bad, but I see it all the time in writing, too, albeit not so much in professional writing.

Cloud 04-23-2008 02:33 PM

I read fanfiction--there's tons of it on the 'Net, usually based on tv shows, etc., and traditionally SF based, which has a long history of fanfic, although now there's lots of other genres. Most ('tho not all) I read is slash fanfiction; that is homoerotic. For instance, take any tv show you care to name, then put two male leads in a romantic relationship. Kirk/Spock ("kirk-slash-spock") was the original slash couple.

and yes, I have written this stuff--in Smallville and The Sentinel. Weird, I know, but we all need hobbies! Mine are grammatically correct, at least.

kerosene 04-23-2008 04:29 PM

It bugs me when people say "often" without pronouncing the "t."

The word "y'all" used more than twice in one sentence is irritating, also. As in "Y'all gotta get y'all's finances figured out 'afore y'all get y'all's electricity shut off." (That was an actual quote from my conversation with Excel Energy.)

Cloud 04-23-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 447684)

To me, pronouncing the 't' is an affectation--people trying to be highbrow.

eta: I just looked it up, and both pronunciations are in there, but sans-t is the first (preferred) version. I think it has to do with where you're from.

HungLikeJesus 04-23-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

The word "y'all" used more than twice in one sentence is irritating, also. As in "Y'all gotta get y'all's finances figured out 'afore y'all get y'all's electricity shut off." (That was an actual quote from my conversation with Excel Energy.)

What about "All y'all"?

kerosene 04-23-2008 05:11 PM

I have always pronounced the "t." Meh, oh well.

HLJ, I think 1 "all ya'll" counts for 2 "y'all"s.

monster 04-23-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

But it's a perfectly acceptable pronunciation -it's the first option given in the Oxford English Dictionary.

eta, now I see cloud already said this. :lol:

monster 04-23-2008 07:42 PM

Do you pronounce the d in Wednesday too?