The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

wolf 10-18-2005 10:44 AM

I have small number of disney movies that mean a lot to me. Jungle Book heads the list, with Robin Hood also in the top 5. I kind of enjoyed 101 Dalmations, but am not as dedicated to it as I am to the others. Of the modern batch, the only ones that I had any desire to see more than once were Beauty and the Beast and Mulan.

dar512 10-18-2005 11:42 AM

Ooh. Not Lion King?

It's Mrs. Dar's favorite. I won't go that far, but there is a scene that cracks me up every time. There's a spot where Zazu is giving the morning report while Mufasa is teaching Simba how to pounce. You have to pay attention because the voices of Mufasa and Simba are in the foreground.
Quote:

Well the buzz from the bees is that the leopards are in a bit of a spot and the baboons are going ape over this.

Of course, the giraffes are acting like they're above it all...

The tick birds are pecking on the elephants. I told the elephants to forget it, but they can't.

The cheetahs are hard up, but I always say, cheetahs never prosper...

melidasaur 10-18-2005 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512
Ooh. Not Lion King?

I think Lion King is about the creepiest movie ever. I bought the DVD, but I refused to watch it alone. I don't think I've even made it all the way through. Some of my favorite Disney DVDs are - in no particular order -

1. Pollyanna
2. The parent trap - original hailey mills version
3. Sleeping Beauty
4. Cinderella
5. Dumbo
6. Beauty and the Beast
7. Mary Poppins
8. MoonSpinners - another Hailey Mills flick
9. Summer Magic - again, Hailey Mills
10. Bambi
11. Lady and the Tramp
12. Bedknobs and Broomsticks

I'm sure there are more I like, I just can't remember them right now - I'm at work.

wolf 10-18-2005 01:18 PM

Nope, didn't like the Lion King and just tolerated Aladdin (which owed much of it's plot and cartoon characterizations to the classic film, The Thief of Baghdad (1940).

Rock Steady 10-18-2005 01:32 PM

Sunday night I watched "The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood" on ReplayTV. What a disappointment. I thought there would be some great insights into the female mind, but it was more about a drunk and her daughter.

I recorded "Steel Magnolias" which I heard was good.

What other chick flicks can you gals recommend?

wolf 10-18-2005 01:44 PM

Guarding Tess

jinx 10-18-2005 03:07 PM

No Direction Home: Bob Dylan
A Martin Scorsese picture

glatt 10-18-2005 04:32 PM

That's the one they recently showed on PBS, right? That was great. Joan Baez was awesome in that.

Elspode 10-18-2005 04:54 PM

We have a pile of Disney stuff. Can't rank faves without splitting them into animation and live action categories, and even then I'd have to review some of the great new stuff to be sure it *is* Disney. Pixar is Disney, idnit?

jinx 10-18-2005 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
That's the one they recently showed on PBS, right? That was great. Joan Baez was awesome in that.

Yeah. Her Dylan impersonation is priceless :lol:

Clodfobble 10-18-2005 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
Pixar is Disney, idnit?

Used to be. After Toy Story, Disney picked them up, but their contract just ended a year or two ago and I think the guy at Disney who let that happen was fired over it.

SteveDallas 10-18-2005 06:39 PM

Mary Poppins is our all time Disney fave. The animated stuff has never lived up to its billing for me.

Griff 10-18-2005 07:12 PM

Feature Cartoonies
1) Jungle Book -hands down best soundtrack ever
2) Shrek :lol:
3) Dumbo "I've seen a house fly."
4) Toy Story

Trilby 10-22-2005 11:23 AM

K. Just finished watching La Taylor in WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF and Tippi Hedron freak out in MARNIE (love me some Sean Connery-whoooo!) Now--trying to find Bette Davis flick BEYOND THE FOREST and Gary Oldham/Tim Roth in ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD. Also wish to watch all movies Crimson Ghost mentioned in the Guilty Pleasure thread. So many movies to rent...

wolf 10-22-2005 11:28 AM

If I might suggest ... one of my shrinks gave me a movie that he loved, and now I love ...

Witness for the Prosecution

Major, major coolness.