The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Does anyone like TV shopping? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34511)

monster 08-31-2019 12:42 PM

Does anyone like TV shopping?
 
Having trekked the old "big" (40") TV all the way down to Florida, ArcheoGirl has found the hdmi and component ports are not working.) She especially wants the component port for the old Wii that she enjoys playing. It seems to me that current TVs no longer have this, but you can buy adapters for this purpose for less than $25.

Beest always looked after all this sort of shit because he enjoyed it and am just not interested so easily overwhelmed by it all, but I want my girl to be happy and settled and he is no longer here so I would like some help. I know that was shit English.

1) am I correct about the adapters? This is what a quick initial search popped up for me https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UI3DQ0NB&psc=1

2) If you see/find any good deals for a reliable basic 40"ish (maybe even a tad bigger, but not ginormous) TV delivered or available locally in Tallahassee FL, or have any relevant recommendations please share.
She doesn't actually watch TV at all -just hooks up her computer to watch Netflix or Youtube, or plays Wii. I can't look locally for her because I'm back in MI, and she is super-busy getting to grips with her new student life. I see they're not super-expensive but I want to avoid a lemon, and if there is a good back-to-school or similar saving, I'd of course prefer to take it and she would feel better because she feels bad about how much her move has cost and I don't want her to.

TIA, darlinks, oh and please remember to use layperson's terms. :)

Gravdigr 08-31-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1037884)
2) If you see/find any good deals for a reliable basic 40"ish (maybe even a tad bigger, but not ginormous) TV delivered or available locally in Tallahassee FL, or have any relevant recommendations please share.

I'm not sure WalMart can be beaten. I think you can shop and pay online, and she can pick it up at the local (to her) WalMart. They may even deliver.

That's not a lot of help, I know. But it's all I got.

sexobon 08-31-2019 01:48 PM

Is there a factory settings reset button/menu option on the old TV that she could try? She may need to disconnect everything from the TV before doing that.

Undertoad 08-31-2019 02:00 PM

The price of TVs has been dropping wildly in recent times. At this moment Amazon Prime offers up a 43" Toshiba for $199 and free delivery.

Clodfobble 08-31-2019 02:46 PM

I'm as disinterested and easily overwhelmed by technology as you are, but I can at least offer this general side note: pawn shops always have older TVs in stock, presumably with the older inputs she may be looking for. Just pick one in a not-completely-ghetto neighborhood, and the staff there should be able to help with making sure she's got the right one for her needs.

monster 08-31-2019 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1037896)
Is there a factory settings reset button/menu option on the old TV that she could try? She may need to disconnect everything from the TV before doing that.

dunno will ask, thanks may be too old for that? Is not a smart tv I think

monster 08-31-2019 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1037897)
The price of TVs has been dropping wildly in recent times. At this moment Amazon Prime offers up a 43" Toshiba for $199 and free delivery.

Right, just don't know how to pick a good one :/

sexobon 08-31-2019 03:11 PM

It's the old TVs that may have it. New TVs diagnose and repair themselves.

Undertoad 08-31-2019 03:32 PM

At the minimum, get a 4K TV, at any size display. Must have 4k.

Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, Philips. Maybe JVC. Some say Vizio, but I dunno.

I have a mostly uninformed belief that you really can't go wrong by just getting the biggest Samsung that you can afford. Just remember that you have to eventually move it too.

Modern TVs have streaming options built right in, if she is a Netflixer or Youtuber, or you can buy a Chromecast and cast anything from the Internet to the TV.

sexobon 08-31-2019 03:47 PM

But you don't have to get her a another tv, you can get her a tw and have the old tv working about the time she graduates. :lol2:

:bolt:

monster 08-31-2019 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1037898)
I'm as disinterested and easily overwhelmed by technology as you are, but I can at least offer this general side note: pawn shops always have older TVs in stock, presumably with the older inputs she may be looking for. Just pick one in a not-completely-ghetto neighborhood, and the staff there should be able to help with making sure she's got the right one for her needs.

thanks. We mooted the idea of 2nd hand for this reason, but it would be better for the future if we can make it work with current technology :) And I know she wouldn't be comfortable going into a pawn shop yet -still figuring out when not to go. Fortunately she has a few locals for advise on that. :)

monster 08-31-2019 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1037902)
It's the old TVs that may have it. New TVs diagnose and repair themselves.

I told her and she said she found some sort of sequence that involved the power button to do this, but it didn't work.

thanks

monster 08-31-2019 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1037903)
At the minimum, get a 4K TV, at any size display. Must have 4k.

Samsung, Sony, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, Philips. Maybe JVC. Some say Vizio, but I dunno.

I have a mostly uninformed belief that you really can't go wrong by just getting the biggest Samsung that you can afford. Just remember that you have to eventually move it too.

Modern TVs have streaming options built right in, if she is a Netflixer or Youtuber, or you can buy a Chromecast and cast anything from the Internet to the TV.

thanks. she really doesn't want huge. Vizio is what the current one is, I think.... It's over 15 years old and was working about 18 months ago -at least the hdmi was. Yes, we neglected to check it was working before we chucked it in the truck, although they did pad it like it was a newborn baby :(

xoxoxoBruce 08-31-2019 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Vizio has a website of manuals for older sets.

sexobon 09-01-2019 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 1037927)
… she said she found some sort of sequence that involved the power button to do this, but it didn't work.

It was worth a try. The sequence is listed here. There are other troubleshooting possibilities like the port may have bent pins, HDMI connecting cables can go bad, drivers might need to be updated ...etc. At 15+ years old, soon after you fix one thing, another thing might go wrong with it. A new TV may be in order so that it's not a distracting aggravation.

The Toshiba UT linked to has decent reviews and is a good value especially if mostly for gaming.

The latest, greatest, budget TV is a bit more expensive; but, reviewers say it's worth it for a significant step up in image quality:

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-Class-Dol...ateway&sr=8-10

This is the new darling, a new model closely related to others that have been holding best in price class.

A typical review:

https://www.tomsguide.com/hands-on/t...ies-comparison


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.