The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do You Have Children? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32628)

monster 03-12-2017 09:25 PM

Do You Have Children?

Not posted in parenting because duh....

Curious. Seems to me there are a lot of ?voluntarily childless adults on this forum and I wondered how that compared to real-world stats (still working on a reliable source for those)

....and if there are more than population average, I wonder if it's because personality or life experience makes non-parents more likely to use online forums, or they just have more time.....?

xoxoxoBruce 03-12-2017 09:37 PM

Fuck no, rug rats are the bane of society.

Clodfobble 03-13-2017 12:13 AM

Stepkids are more age-related. Very few 40-year-olds have a biological baby, but it's never too late to add a stepkid to the mix. So if the forum skews older (which I can't prove but I feel like it does,) then I bet it skews more toward stepkids than the general population, too.

Griff 03-13-2017 06:17 AM

To be fair we were younger when we snuck into the cellar.

glatt 03-13-2017 08:11 AM

I can currently say I have kids, but in three years, poof. They will be adults.

damn

BigV 03-13-2017 08:33 AM

And, still your kids.

BigV 03-13-2017 08:35 AM

biological children, step children, I'm a dutch uncle and a godfather. And Twil's kids call me Dad, making me in loco parentis, right?

Pico and ME 03-13-2017 09:54 AM

It just didn't happen for me. I've been a strange duck all my life and never ever heard the clock ticking. I was more afraid of accidentally getting pregnant while single. DID NOT want to live life as a single Mom. Plus, I didn't get married until I was 40 and he was 'fixed", so there's that. He did have two boys, so it wasn't like we were childless. He did ask me early on in the marriage if I would like him to get it reversed, so that we could have a child together. I just thought it was too late for me to get pregnant (and was still secretly worried that I would end up raising it alone sometime in the future, anyway.)

limey 03-13-2017 01:52 PM

Never really wanted them. Don't regret not having them. Too late now (tubes tied, and now I'm an old :crone: too!).
Far far too scary to send anyone I care about out into the future, too, tbh.

glatt 03-13-2017 02:40 PM

I can clearly see both paths.

I have kids, and am glad I do, but I'd be happy without kids too. I'd be doing different stuff, I think.

Kids are gonna be gone soon anyway, so I should get used to the idea of it just being me and Mrs glatt. Without kids, you get to focus on yourself more. Instead of having all your energy and time going in to the kid thing.

Plus vacations in the off season rock! My wife needs to transition out of teaching so we can do that again.

Gravdigr 03-13-2017 03:06 PM

I have no children. By choice. By many, conscious, purposeful choices.

fargon 03-13-2017 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 984187)
I have no children. By choice. By many, conscious, purposeful choices.

Me Too.

monster 03-13-2017 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 984158)
I can currently say I have kids, but in three years, poof. They will be adults.

damn

In a month, 2/3 of my kids will be adults :eek:

Pi 03-14-2017 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 984186)
I can clearly see both paths.

I have kids, and am glad I do, but I'd be happy without kids too. I'd be doing different stuff, I think.

Kids are gonna be gone soon anyway, so I should get used to the idea of it just being me and Mrs glatt. Without kids, you get to focus on yourself more. Instead of having all your energy and time going in to the kid thing.

Plus vacations in the off season rock! My wife needs to transition out of teaching so we can do that again.

Absolutely my situation too! But the little one's only 3,5yo, so I'm focusing a lot on projects I like to do and hoping she will pick up my interests by dragging her along ;-)

Undertoad 03-14-2017 08:47 AM

I was married to a person who was incapable of feeling emotions. She kind of knew she had no soul, and decided she didn't want to have kids.

Good choice. It's bad to have a mother without a soul.

She would have forced them to reflect her perfectionism. They would have had eating disorders and painful anxiety at the minimum.