The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   RIP, famous person (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24383)

Gravdigr 02-19-2019 11:59 AM

Also, there was a classical scholar from New Zealand, that died on Feb 18, whose name was George Cawkwell.

If his name wasn't pronounced 'Cockwell', it should have been.

The guy who coined the term 'global warming', helping start the biggest, longest argument in the history of mankind, died the 18th as well.

Wallace Smith Broecker

Diaphone Jim 02-19-2019 05:29 PM

Glinda posted: "That is some weird, lame shit. People actually spent money on this guy's albums?"

Gee, I wish you had been around to save me in 1959 when I bought those disgusting albums.
I guess it was just lucky that someone else stole them from me 20 or 30 years later to prevent me from listening again.

Gravdigr 02-21-2019 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 66542

Monkee Peter Tork died today, at the age of 77. His fish was Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma, which he battled ten yrs ago.

Gravdigr 02-24-2019 11:20 AM

Douglas the Parrot has died.

Quote:

Douglas (ca. 1967 – 23 February 2019) is the male scarlet macaw that played the parrot Rosalinda in the 1970 Pippi Longstocking movie Pippi in the South Seas.

Douglas was imported from Brazil to Sweden in 1967. Three years later he starred as the female parrot Rosalinda in the popular movie Pippi in the South Seas. Douglas is capable of singing and of speaking a few dozen words. In 2002, 32 years after the movie, Douglas garnered a lot of attention in the Swedish press, when the authorities were considering to put him to death due to its owner at the time not having the proper paperwork. A petition pleading for Douglas' life comprised over 50,000 signatures including one by the actress Inger Nilsson, who played Pippi in the 1970 movie. Ultimately Douglas was spared after its first owner in Sweden produced the proper paper work, showing that he was legally imported from Brazil in 1967.

In 2005 Douglas moved to a small zoo in Malmö, where he lived together with a female blue-and-yellow macaw called Gojan until 2016. Early in 2016 Douglas once more attracted the attention of the Swedish media and later of the German one as well. Swedish authorities had again plans to put Douglas to death due to its cage of 3 m2 being too small and not allowing him to fly. The authorities requested an aviary of at least 30 m2, which the zoo couldn't provide. The zoo's director Frank Madsen tried to get an exception arguing that due to its very old age Douglas was incapable of flying anyhow and that it made no sense to cut short his remaining final years. As the authorities were unwilling to grant an exception, Madsen turned to the press and received soon over 100 offers for a new home for Douglas and Gojan. Ultimately the Karlsruhe Zoo in Germany was selected and in April Madsen himself delivered Douglas and Gojan to Karlsruhe, where they were greeted with a public welcome party.

Five months later in September 2016 Gojan died at an age of 45 and the zoo was planning to pair Douglas with another macaw. The new partner became Rubin, a 22 year old scarlet macaw, that arrived in October of the same year.

Douglas died at the Karlsruhe Zoo on February 23rd, 2019 being 51 years old, an extraordinary old age for macaws.
He's not pining for the fjords.

'E's nowt sleeping.

This birb is no more.

Beautiful plumage.

xoxoxoBruce 02-24-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Douglas (ca. 1967 – 23 February 2019) is the male scarlet macaw that played the parrot Rosalinda in the 1970 Pippi Longstocking movie Pippi in the South Seas.

Douglas was imported from Brazil to Sweden in 1967. Three years later he starred as the female parrot Rosalinda in the popular movie Pippi in the South Seas. Douglas is capable of singing and of speaking a few dozen words. In 2002, 32 years after the movie, Douglas garnered a lot of attention in the Swedish press,
when the authorities were considering to put him to death due to its owner at the time not having the proper paperwork. A petition pleading for Douglas' life comprised over 50,000 signatures including one by the actress Inger Nilsson, who played Pippi in the 1970 movie. Ultimately Douglas was spared after its first owner in Sweden produced the proper paper work, showing that he was legally imported from Brazil in 1967.

In 2005 Douglas moved to a small zoo in Malmö, where he lived together with a female blue-and-yellow macaw called Gojan until 2016. Early in 2016 Douglas once more attracted the attention of the Swedish media and later of the German one as well. Swedish authorities had again plans to put Douglas to death due to its cage of 3 m2 being too small and not allowing him to fly. The authorities requested an aviary of at least 30 m2, which the zoo couldn't provide. The zoo's director Frank Madsen tried to get an exception arguing that due to its very old age Douglas was incapable of flying anyhow and that it made no sense to cut short his remaining final years. As the authorities were unwilling to grant an exception, Madsen turned to the press and received soon over 100 offers for a new home for Douglas and Gojan. Ultimately the Karlsruhe Zoo in Germany was selected and in April Madsen himself delivered Douglas and Gojan to Karlsruhe, where they were greeted with a public welcome party.

Five months later in September 2016 Gojan died at an age of 45 and the zoo was planning to pair Douglas with another macaw. The new partner became Rubin, a 22 year old scarlet macaw, that arrived in October of the same year.

Douglas died at the Karlsruhe Zoo on February 23rd, 2019 being 51 years old, an extraordinary old age for macaws.

What the fuck is wrong with those "authorities", don't they think at all, are they never reasonable? Is an exemption that much paperwork? :eyebrow:

Gravdigr 02-24-2019 01:13 PM

Pfft, that's the Parrot Police for ya...

Gravdigr 02-28-2019 11:41 AM

Pianist and composer Andre Previn died today. He was 89.

He and Mia Farrow are the adoptive parents of Soon-Yi Previn (Woody Allen's wife).

Gravdigr 02-28-2019 12:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Aw man. I missed this one.

Character actor, that-guy-who-was-in-that-thing, Morgan Woodward died back on Feb 22.

He played a recurring role on Dallas (the first one), and he also played the rifle-toting road gang boss with the mirrored sunglasses in Cool Hand Luke.

If ya don't remember him, you'll know his face, he was known for his face.

Attachment 66602

Attachment 66603

Dude was in everything on TV in the 70s. He guest-starred on Gunsmoke 19 times, more than anyone else but the regular cast.

Carruthers 02-28-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1026921)
Pianist and composer Andre Previn died today. He was 89.

I always liked Andre Previn. I think it's fair to say that classical music conductors are rarely known for their sense of fun but Previn was cast in a different mould.

He famously appeared with Morecambe and Wise in a sketch in their show while he was principal conductor with the London Symphony Orchestra.

Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn.

limey 02-28-2019 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1026935)
I always liked Andre Previn. I think it's fair to say that classical music conductors are rarely known for their sense of fun but Previn was cast in a different mould.

He famously appeared with Morecambe and Wise in a sketch in their show while he was principal conductor with the London Symphony Orchestra.

Morecambe and Wise with Andre Previn.

A superb sketch. The best bits are where he’s struggling not to corpse [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fargon 02-28-2019 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 1026949)
A superb sketch. The best bits are where he’s struggling not to corpse [emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Corpse? I don't speak the Queen's English.

Carruthers 02-28-2019 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 1026950)
Corpse? I don't speak the Queen's English.

It's to become convulsed with laughter to the extent that it is impossible to deliver your own lines.
Generally the greater the effort not to laugh, the worse it becomes.

I'm on my iPad at present which doesn't lend itself to posting links, but there's a Wikipedia article on 'corpsing' which sheds some more light on the subject.

fargon 02-28-2019 05:03 PM

Thank You Ma'am.

Undertoad 02-28-2019 05:56 PM

Sir.

Gravdigr 02-28-2019 09:10 PM

Yes?