The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What are we listening to now? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6299)

perth 09-29-2004 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesdave
Speaking of Jazz, does anyone in the Cellar like real Jazz? I mean people like Tommy Flanagan, Hank Jones, Wynton Kelly, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Art Tatum, to name but a few? I bet the answer is no, going by what I've seen in these postings. What a shame. :(

Well, I love listening to the Jazz shows on our local PR station here. I usually use it as backgroud music so I really never learn anything from it, and therefore know next to nothing about Jazz. but yeah, I do like it a lot.

Cyber Wolf 09-29-2004 08:34 AM

Quote:

Speaking of Jazz, does anyone in the Cellar like real Jazz? I mean people like Tommy Flanagan, Hank Jones, Wynton Kelly, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Coleman Hawkins, Louis Armstrong, Teddy Wilson, Art Tatum, to name but a few? I bet the answer is no, going by what I've seen in these postings. What a shame. :(

I'm pretty keen on jazz and most of those names are at least familiar to me (thanks, Dad!).

As for right now, I've got Lords of Acid, the Voodoo-U CD.

lookout123 09-29-2004 06:08 PM

anthrofuge - straight up metal up your ass. ok, they are pretty funny and obsessed with pirates. if you are really bored and curious you can check them out at anthrofuge.com or just click here.

yes, i'm a shill they are old friends of mine who creat new bands about every 6 months, put out a cd, get bored and start over.

Jacquelita 10-05-2004 08:18 PM

the local "public" radio station is a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine. WXPN (88.5 on the radio dial) has recently upgraded their digs, and to celeberate, solicited their membership to send in their all time top ten lists. They compiled the top 885 songs and are playing them all this week from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm (Eastern)

A lot of old rock classics things like Neil Young (comes a time)- Stones (Angie) - even some things from the 20's and 30's -also Frank (ol blue eyes is in there, elvis, beatles etc...)

I have to admit, my radio has been cranked pretty loud the last few days.

You can check out the play list at xpn.org - if you're out of the area, you can stream it live from this site.

elSicomoro 10-05-2004 08:22 PM

Quote:

I'll let my collection speak for me.

alphageek31337 10-05-2004 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perth
Well, I love listening to the Jazz shows on our local PR station here. I usually use it as backgroud music so I really never learn anything from it, and therefore know next to nothing about Jazz. but yeah, I do like it a lot.

Nasty habit of mine, I will listen to great guitarists just for the sake of listening to great guitarists. If anyone else shares this penchant, or just likes simple, barebones jazz, there's a man by the name of Joe Pass who is abso-fucking-lutely amazing. I also really dig Coltrane, Davis, Dave Brubeck, and a really amazing singer doing covers whose name is Renee Olstead. She's a really talented kid, and only about 16 years old if memory serves me

Griff 10-24-2004 07:48 PM

Frank Black and the Catholics

My jazz tends to run toward Bela Fleck and David Grisman but I do like the old big band stuff, and Coltrane.

warch 10-29-2004 05:05 PM

jazz guitar yah:

Always Way Coolest Kenny Burrell, Classic Charlie Christian, The Amazing Grant Green, Spare Wes Mongomery, Old tyme Eddie Lang, Swinging Tiny Grimes, Kicking T Bone Walker.

Find Burrell's "Midnight Blue", Green's "Iron City" and/or "Idle Moments" and you will be happy.

Griff 11-05-2004 06:41 PM

Radio Paradise. Recently played Crash Test Dummies, Bjork, Smiths, The Frames, Wilco, Alex Gopher, SRV, Depeche Mode... not a bad playlist compared to any of our clear chan... must not rant in entertainment.

Cyber Wolf 11-06-2004 06:46 AM

2 CDs in rotation at the moment:

Within Temptation's Mother Earth
Black Eyed Peas' Elephunk

Elspode 11-06-2004 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphageek31337
...there's a man by the name of Joe Pass who is abso-fucking-lutely amazing.

I was listening to Joe Pass just yesterday, an album called "Unforgettable", which is just Joe and a guitar, playing his arrangements of many well-known standards from several genres. It is just like sitting in a room with him and listening to him play, so present is the recording. You can even hear him *breathe*. Needless to say, the music is amazingly intimate.

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ux5t-oois/records.html

I saw Joe Pass about 20 years ago. He was, as you say, abso-fucking-lutely amazing. His death in 1994 left a large void in the world of jazz guitar.

flippant 11-06-2004 11:11 AM

Aphex Twins- Window-licker.

Griff 11-06-2004 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
I was listening to Joe Pass just yesterday, an album called "Unforgettable", which is just Joe and a guitar, playing his arrangements of many well-known standards from several genres. It is just like sitting in a room with him and listening to him play, so present is the recording. You can even hear him *breathe*. Needless to say, the music is amazingly intimate.

Hmmm.. emusic has that album. Do you think that'd be a good intro to him?

Elspode 11-06-2004 05:20 PM

That's exactly where I got it. :)

I would describe this recording as being primarily for a serious lover of guitar music. It is entirely unaccompanied, not 100% free of flaws (one-take, live digital recordings all by a master of his instrument), and therefore not for casual listening.

If you love hearing an artist at the peak of their craft, with all the embellishment stripped away, so that you can enjoy the pure, real thing...yes, this is a great album as an introduction. The songs will be familiar, yet arranged in original ways, with a lot of improvisation thrown in.

When I saw Joe Pass all those years ago, he held a crowd of about 1000 in awe doing exactly the same thing...just playing his guitar.

warch 11-06-2004 09:47 PM

Kinda on a Spain kick round here- and a new CD that is getting lots of play is a classical/flamenco guitarist David Russell- Reflections of Spain. ahhhh.