The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cellar.org hacked or compromised in some way? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35272)

Carruthers 08-08-2020 09:38 AM

Cellar.org hacked or compromised in some way?

I received an Email at the address registered with the Cellar in the early hours of this morning. It's headed 'To: Carruthers The Cellar'.

The sender is supposedly another named Dwellar and the second half of the address would appear to be a Japanese institution.

The sole text is a link which, when opened in private browsing, triggers an AVG message 'We've safely aborted the connection on inx.lv because it was infected with 'URL:Phishing'.

I've run both AVG and Malwarebytes scans and nothing untoward is revealed.

Any thoughts, please?

BigV 08-08-2020 10:38 AM

I don't know about the site being hacked.

However, it is trivial to spoof the sending name and sending domain on a piece of email. If you have not suffered any ill consequences from clicking on the link, you're probably ok.

Standard procedure in cases like this would indicate that you should change your email password immediately, at a minimum. You were prudent to run the malware scan. Depending on how seriously you take this stuff.

sexobon 08-08-2020 11:15 AM

Not only could your email account have been hacked and your email address book compromised, any dwellar with whom you've had email correspondence could've had their email account hacked and their address book (with you and other Cellar contacts) compromised.

If it's The Cellar that was compromised, there would be/will be not only those who have exchanged emails getting those emails; also, dwellars who haven't done email exchanges with other dwellars would get them.

That; or, it's Zengum and the rascal has gone back to work in Japan.

Carruthers 08-08-2020 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1056228)
I don't know about the site being hacked.

However, it is trivial to spoof the sending name and sending domain on a piece of email. If you have not suffered any ill consequences from clicking on the link, you're probably ok.

Standard procedure in cases like this would indicate that you should change your email password immediately, at a minimum. You were prudent to run the malware scan. Depending on how seriously you take this stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1056230)
Not only could your email account have been hacked and your email address book compromised, any dwellar with whom you've had email correspondence could've had their email account hacked and their address book (with you and other Cellar contacts) compromised.

If it's The Cellar that was compromised, there would be/will be not only those who have exchanged emails getting those emails; also, dwellars who haven't done email exchanges with other dwellars would get them.

That; or, it's Zengum and the rascal has gone back to work in Japan.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Virus and malware scans reveal nothing nasty so that may well point to a Dwellar having had his/her address book accessed.

Gravdigr 08-12-2020 09:38 PM

I am/was the named Dwellar, and have had a look into my system via AVG and no threats were found. Also no messages resembling Carruthers' in my inbox.

I think it was probably one of those things like when ya look at a chainsaw somewhere online, and then you're bombarded with chainsaw ads from all over.

sexobon 08-13-2020 05:03 PM

It's the cyber division of INTERPOL messing with y'all cause they're on to the two of you.

Dude111 08-13-2020 08:49 PM

Im sorry this happend buddy,I have gotton those also...

Just bin it :)