The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

Griff 11-25-2009 10:35 AM

Go Mom!

xoxoxoBruce 11-25-2009 10:47 AM

...and for Mom of the Year... the envelope please... Clodfobble!

http://cellar.org/2009/applause.gif

monster 11-25-2009 12:28 PM

Excellent. Great work. You -as ever- have me in awe of your resiliance, resourcefulness and just general go-get-em-ness.

Queen of the Ryche 11-25-2009 12:44 PM

CLOD KICKS BUTT

limey 11-25-2009 06:09 PM

I expect you've seen Elana's Pantry Clod, but maybe others following this thread in search of information haven't ...

Clodfobble 11-25-2009 06:47 PM

Yes, both Elana and Ali are regular bookmarks of mine. Next in line to check out is Karina, but I only have so many hours in the day to slog through blog archives. :)

limey 11-25-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 612236)
Yes, both Elana and Ali are regular bookmarks of mine. Next in line to check out is Karina, but I only have so many hours in the day to slog through blog archives. :)

It's not so much that I think you need to know this stuff, as that this thread may be a useful resource for others treading your path .. here's another link, to "Gluten-Free girl ..."
And, by the way, Clod did I ever tell you that you're a marvellous, MARVELLOUS wonderful mum? Huh? Did I?

monkeytaco 11-25-2009 07:50 PM

My daughter wants to be a nun!

Clodfobble 11-25-2009 09:47 PM

Thanks, to all of you. I get uncomfortable when people start trumpeting my mothering skillz, because really, I'm not that amazing. At least I don't think I am. It's like lumberjim said, I'm plenty dysfunctional just like everyone else. And I'm not putting this stuff out there to make people aware of my situation personally, but rather the overarching situation of everyone I spend time with these days.

Lots of parents have to go above and beyond to care for their kids, the only thing that makes me different is I'm doing it against the advice of a lot of people. You guys start giving me all this credit, and my first thought is, "No! Didn't you see? I didn't do this; his doctor did this--despite the fact that 90% of other doctors say he's a quack!" It would be easier if I could feel only joy at his progress, rather than this undercurrent of betrayal. But I think the sense of betrayal also makes me fight harder for him, so I guess that's good too. Well, good for him. And good for my massage therapist's pocketbook. :)

monster 11-25-2009 10:26 PM

OK so here's how it is clod. There aren't any bad parents on the cellar that I've noticed. And there are many good parents here, that I've noticed. I like to include myself in this group even though I know for sure that half of the stuff that happens in our day-to-day existance would win "suprisingly-different parenting" awards at best.

but you really have gone above and beyond for your kid. there are many autism-scale kids in our school and their parents are mostly not involved beyond saying "yup, whatever you recommend" And this is a school that attracts proactive parents. I dread to think what happens in the other schools in the district.

...anyway, we know you're not posting here to receive accolade, but it's impossible to read your progress and not say anything. It is wonderful, you are wonderful, and don't worry, karma will come back and bite you in the ass at some point. I bet your dress will be tucked into your knickers at minifobette's wedding and no-one will notice until the pictures are developped.....

xoxoxoBruce 11-25-2009 10:38 PM

Monster nailed it. There may be, "Lots of parents have to go above and beyond to care for their kids", but how many are there that are doing it by becoming the pharmacy's best customer? In fairness, because they may have been mislead, and probably because they haven't done the work involved to know better, rather than taking the easy way out.

skysidhe 11-26-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 612388)
Monster nailed it. There may be, "Lots of parents have to go above and beyond to care for their kids", but how many are there that are doing it by becoming the pharmacy's best customer? In fairness, because they may have been mislead, and probably because they haven't done the work involved to know better, rather than taking the easy way out.

Very true

you deserve all the accolades you can get clodfobble. :)

Griff 11-27-2009 09:04 AM

That she marches on against the pressure is what I admire. There are no experts in the field and more than a little cash grabbing going on. She is rolling the boulder to the top of the hill on her own and one day it'll stay put.

DanaC 11-27-2009 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 612909)
That she marches on against the pressure is what I admire. There are no experts in the field and more than a little cash grabbing going on. She is rolling the boulder to the top of the hill on her own and one day it'll stay put.

That's so beautifully put griff.

Pie 12-01-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New Scientist
Treating toddlers for autism boosts IQ later
  • 17:18 01 December 2009 by Bob Holmes
Toddlers with symptoms of autism can show dramatic improvement if they are given early, intensive therapy. The finding, from the first randomised controlled trial in such young children, should settle the question of whether early screening and treatment of autism are worthwhile.

I snagged the article in Pediatrics; let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.