The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Arrowhead Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26422)

footfootfoot 12-01-2011 10:13 PM

Arrowhead Thread

4 Attachment(s)
I'm gonna put my arrowheads here for now.

Since getting all paleolithic I remembered something from 1979, when I was 19 and bicycling through Vermont with my pal, Alan. We were headed from Brattleboro to Bennington across Rt. 9 and we'd made it almost to Searsburg Mountain when we ran into a friend of Alan's who told us Bennington kind of sucked and not to bother biking up the mountain, but to head back to the infinitely more groovy B'boro.

So we turned around and headed back over Hogsback Mountain where we stopped to check out the view. which really hasn't changed much in 30 something years.

Being cheeky teens, we held contempt for tourists and their vistas, and souvenir stores, especially if they drove to them. We were quite special and held ourselves in high regard.

We pull up to the mountain top gift shop at just about where the truck is parked in this photo I found on the internets. (It really looked just like this)

Being an obnoxious card I started shouting excitedly in my tourist-child mocking voice, "Daddy, Daddy, LOOK! I found an arrowhead!" I bent over and snatched a stone from the ground without looking at it and held my prize up. Alan looked over and laughed, knowing the ironic absurdity of the thought of arrowheads, here on top of Hogsback mountain, one of the most heavily traveled roads in Vermont at the time. (Arrows? I didn't even see the Indians) It would be as incongruous as buying maple syrup in a little log cabin shaped bottle in a tourist shop in Tucson. Silly. While enjoying the moment I noticed that the stone felt unusual. I looked at it for the first time and saw that I had picked up an arrowhead.

I can think of several simple explanations for how it got there. And why I chose to say "arrowhead" instead of "geode" or "civil war musket ball"? Perhaps I subconsciously saw it? Most likely.

Whatever, it was pretty cool. Here is a scan of the arrowhead along with my first glass arrowhead.

Flint knapping may happen tomorrow.

footfootfoot 12-01-2011 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Note, the scan is embiggened to show texture. The actual size is about an inch.
same for this glass point.

classicman 12-01-2011 10:21 PM

nice!

footfootfoot 12-01-2011 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the scale. Actual size if you have a 96dpi monitor

zippyt 12-01-2011 10:25 PM

Cool !!

glatt 12-02-2011 07:20 AM

So you used a carriage bolt to do the glass knapping?

Didn't the Indians use a stick?

xoxoxoBruce 12-02-2011 07:54 AM

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury... how could my client possibly have made the murder weapon, when lab analysis says it's 400 million years old? :cool:

Griff 12-02-2011 08:35 AM

I went to the gift shop via Google Earth to see if that was the place with the awesome burgers from long ago and far away... it isn't.

infinite monkey 12-02-2011 08:37 AM

You should sell them. Call them Knappy Heads.

Very cool.

(I'm still waiting to hear from my brother. I'm sorry.)

footfootfoot 12-11-2011 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I could have sworn I posted this already, but maybe not. I think chrome crashed and I got distracted by shiny things.

My first arrow:

classicman 12-11-2011 05:19 PM

Very cool!

ZenGum 12-11-2011 06:02 PM

Would it win a fight against an A-10 Warthog? ;)

footfootfoot 12-11-2011 07:20 PM

There's only one way to find out. Here, hold my beer...

Big Sarge 12-11-2011 08:14 PM

Wow 3F. We have been messing with knapping for quite awhile and you have already outclassed us. Freakin fantastic

xoxoxoBruce 12-11-2011 11:36 PM

Preservation, he's surrounded by dangerous critters.