The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   A Game of Thrones (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23913)

jimhelm 11-09-2010 10:08 AM

A Game of Thrones

I can't freaking wait

Cloud 11-09-2010 10:10 AM

oooh, when? And did ol' George finish that series? Is it done now?

jimhelm 11-09-2010 10:16 AM

spring 2011?

Quote:

On October 10, 2010, at the New York Comic Con, Spectra senior editor Anne Groell states that Martin has announced he has five chapters remaining, with sections of the chapters already completed. She also wants to get the manuscript completed by December.[26]

his not a blog journal

Happy Monkey 11-09-2010 10:43 AM

I think she probably has wanted the manuscript done by December several times already. Maybe the prospect of releasing the book with the show's premier will help him over the hump.

Cloud 11-09-2010 10:46 AM

pretty much why I stopped reading them. Looked to be a Robert Jordan kind of thing.

Wish they would have made the "Wild Cards" movie.

wolf 11-09-2010 11:38 AM

I saw the ad the other night. I've read a lot of George RR. (loved Tuf Voyaging), but I don't think I ever got around to these.

jimhelm 11-09-2010 11:46 AM

BEST BOOKS EVAR~!

wolf 11-09-2010 11:57 AM

Sent samples of the first two to my Kindle.

Urbane Guerrilla 11-09-2010 01:00 PM

They're long books; the characters are fucking savage or quite simply savages period, celibate or otherwise. What's been tough for me is to figure just what motivates these characters to go to the extremes they do -- their prize does not seem worth their efforts or their slaughters.

The supernatural Others seem even nastier and if anything even more pointless. So I tend to read that series with a gradually increasing sense of WTF.

jimhelm 11-09-2010 01:14 PM

Clodfobble 11-09-2010 04:15 PM

I, too, have been waiting for this miniseries forever, and the 5th book for even longer than that. However, I don't have HBO, so I'll have to wait for Netflix to get it. :(

Gravdigr 11-10-2010 12:43 AM

I've read Game of Thrones, and a couple others, I think. Game of Thrones was pretty good. I was weaned into those types of stories on RA Salvatore. Everything else is just pretty good.

/drift:

I remember some 'Forgotten Realms'/'Dragonlance'/'Dungeons & Dragons'-type books where the stories all revolved around this horse-culture-type situation. The horse is like their equivalent of buffalo to the American Indian. The horse is woven into almost every nook of their society. They drink fermented mare's milk, everything is made from horses, like leather, blankets, etc.

Put me in mind of Mongolian Hordes, yurts, and khans.

Anybody know what I'm rambling about?

Griff 11-10-2010 05:41 AM

I'm trying to knock off the last book in the thrones series, but it is caught up in a 5 book rotation...

GD, If you like that Mongol stuff Conn Iggulden has an excellent series of books. He took the time to live the life and it comes through in the writing.

Gravdigr 11-10-2010 02:03 PM

Thanks for the tip.

Sperlock 11-10-2010 10:36 PM

Horselords by David Cook, by chance? (Link to Amazon). I remember the book, though I did not read it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 693562)
I've read Game of Thrones, and a couple others, I think. Game of Thrones was pretty good. I was weaned into those types of stories on RA Salvatore. Everything else is just pretty good.

/drift:

I remember some 'Forgotten Realms'/'Dragonlance'/'Dungeons & Dragons'-type books where the stories all revolved around this horse-culture-type situation. The horse is like their equivalent of buffalo to the American Indian. The horse is woven into almost every nook of their society. They drink fermented mare's milk, everything is made from horses, like leather, blankets, etc.

Put me in mind of Mongolian Hordes, yurts, and khans.

Anybody know what I'm rambling about?