The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Upholstery Anti-Static and Scotchgard Spray -thoughts? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32637)

monster 03-16-2017 09:51 PM

Upholstery Anti-Static and Scotchgard Spray -thoughts?

Go!

We recently got a micro-fiber sofa and sectional and they are a tad staticky. When searching for an anti-static spray, I happened across Scotchgard protector spray stuff.

The last sofas we got (16 years ago, now in smithereens at the landfill) were from Art Van and were pre-sprayed and guaranteed. These are IKEA, so it occurred to me maybe we should do the Scotchgard thing.

Do you do this, which brand do you use, would you recommend it, and does it reduce static or should we look for a different product to do that?

please and thanks

Clodfobble 03-16-2017 10:54 PM

My experience with the Scotchguard protector stuff is it makes the fabric feel permanently sticky, kind of a waxy texture. But I find "sticky" to be particularly repellant, so it's possible I'm just overly sensitive to that sort of thing. The slipcover we bought a long time ago came "pre-sprayed," and I had to wash it a half a dozen times before I could comfortably use it. Unless it's a guarantee that Thor will spill stuff on it, I wouldn't bother.

The anti-static sprays are fine in my experience, but they're more of a temporary relief kind of thing. A humidifier in the room might help more.

Flint 03-17-2017 11:57 AM

Let the spills happen.

Make a thick paste of Oxy Clean. Apply immediately, keep wet. Rinse out with a small steam cleaner.

Flint 03-17-2017 11:59 AM

Oh, nevermind. Static, I have no idea. Don't touch inside your computer case.

tw 03-17-2017 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 984438)
We recently got a micro-fiber sofa and sectional and they are a tad staticky. When searching for an anti-static spray, I happened across Scotchgard protector spray stuff.

We did all those anti-static miracle chemicals. Basically, anti-static chemicals are variations of detergent. Even those anti-static dryer cloths contain a detergent. Humidity and traffic require constant replenishment.

A far superior solution is a 40% relative humidity. Eliminates static charges. And is better for human health.

Gravdigr 03-18-2017 03:00 PM

Get a couch that has removable, washable cushion covers. For the first round of spills/dirtifications, just flip the cushion. Once all the other sides are dirty, unzip them, remove the cushion, toss it the washer, or take them to the dry cleaner.

Snakeadelic 03-20-2017 07:56 AM

All I have to add to this is:

My neighbor has a futon that had a "lifetime" anti-moisture coating. He draped a wet shirt over the back to dry and boom! Mold. He took the cover to a laundromat (our washer isn't big enough) and Scotch-Guarded the whole thing. Can't think of why; all the spilled liquid soaks right through and no stains are even slowed down.

Also, tw mentions "Basically, anti-static chemicals are variations of detergent." If this is the case, please find out if anyone you know is allergic before inviting them to sit on your furniture! I am very, very allergic to artificial scent, and so my neighbor uses "anti-static" dryer sheets which are in fact unscented. If I pick up his freshly dried laundry while I'm sweating, anywhere the treated fabric contacts sweaty skin will cause me to fire up an itchy rash for about 10 minutes. Allergies can get much, much worse over time if the sufferer is over-exposed to allergens, whether they can be smelled or not.

monster 03-20-2017 07:58 PM

::fairly speechless::

classicman 03-20-2017 10:29 PM

I bought a cheap leather couch, have no young kids and no issues with static. I've nothing to offer you. Sorry.