The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The reformation is at hand (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33081)

monster 10-05-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 996752)
This table can stand with four legs, it may even stand with three

off topic point of order: it will definitely stand with three unless they are in a straight line, or the table is extremely top heavy and they are all towards one side.... And it won't wobble. You need three points to define a plane. If you introduce a 4th leg, chances are it won't be exactly on the same plane, and so the table will have a wobble. This is true for any piece of furniture, pot, ornament.... that you (create and) wish to stand on a flat surface. Of course, chances of that surface being truly flat are minimal.....

#ceramics1017878

Undertoad 10-05-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

They are Americans whose ancestors have quite possibly been here longer than yours.
Point of privilege, "they" in this case are mostly white kids going to William and Mary. Their video is here:

https://www.facebook.com/builtonourb...4551936840965/

xoxoxoBruce 10-05-2017 10:41 PM

Bwahahahaha! ACLU = White Supremacist! What a bunch of clueless assholes.

♫Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book,
Don't know much about the french I took
But I do know what peers told me
So I’m an expert on ACLU

sexobon 10-05-2017 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 996804)
In theory. But history shows that this is, in fact, the only way they are given a voice. You tell your kid violence isn't the answer, that it's better to turn the other cheek, that if he stoops to their level he's as bad as they are--but we all know that the bullying only stops when he finally punches back.

The very fact that you think you get to decide whether to give them a voice is precisely why they are now taking it by force. They are not outsiders seeking your benevolence. They are Americans whose ancestors have quite possibly been here longer than yours.

I've worked both insurgency and counter insurgency operations in the real world which included psychological operations and civil affairs. If they try to make people listen by force, they will be defeated. They may win some battles; but, they will lose the war (figurative speaking). That goes for anyone who believes the end justifies the means regardless of who they are.

(i.e. If you're being bullied, you don't get to start bullying others until they help you defeat YOUR bully on the premise that either no one gets bullied or everyone gets bullied. Not unless you want everyone else to get together and knock the dog shit out of you.)

xoxoxoBruce 10-05-2017 10:58 PM

You don't believe bullying has a pecking order with people? I've definitely seen it with animals.

sexobon 10-05-2017 11:18 PM

When amateurs decide they're going to work outside the system to force people to do something, they'll be going up against people who work outside the system professionally to redirect them.

xoxoxoBruce 10-06-2017 10:21 AM

The clue is always not who it affects but who profits from it.

I keep getting letters from the ACLU asking me to renew my membership. Maybe it's time.

Flint 10-06-2017 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 996804)
The very fact that you think you get to decide whether to give them a voice is precisely why they are now taking it by force. They are not outsiders seeking your benevolence. They are Americans whose ancestors have quite possibly been here longer than yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 996807)
Point of privilege, "they" in this case are mostly white kids going to William and Mary.

Obtuse. You are aware she is referring to the BLM movement at large, not the cherry-picked sample you're flaunting because it engaged your confirmation bias. Let's agree to be more responsible and not disingenuously try to smear broad groups of people with inflammatory misrepresentations.

:thankyou:

Undertoad 10-06-2017 10:36 AM

Please put me back on ignore

Flint 10-06-2017 11:32 AM

Nah

Gravdigr 10-06-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 996835)
Please put me back on ignore

I do love that feature.

Undertoad 10-06-2017 12:00 PM

Okay then

I'm not sure how pointing out that the BLM movement is not made up of black people (BLM Philly aside) is smearing the movement.

In any case, the thread is larger than BLM. The Evergreen College incident didn't include BLM, just a race question amped up to 11. The students at Bryn Mawr turned on their feminist founder on creed, not race. The larger issue is about identity politics and its divisiveness, and its rejection of the liberal notion of the open consideration of ideas. And without bias I can consider it really interesting -- and annoying, really -- that this particular group decided to include "Liberalism is white supremacy" as one of their chants.

Flint 10-06-2017 12:20 PM

Ugh. Clodfobble was referring to the intended recipients of the goal of BLM, i.e. the people being mistreated which necessitate the creation of BLM. Why it exists. I thought that was clear in the series of every post she's made in this thread. I get that your point was this other thing, but thread drift exists and sometimes people aren't talking about the OP.

Quote:

My reading is that she is NOT talking about the white college kids you're mad at.

My reading is that your response was obtuse. I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Undertoad 10-06-2017 12:41 PM

She made the error reading the BLM movement as universally black, and I have made the error of trying to correct this by referring back to this particular protest, which only proves that BLM William & Mary is mostly white.

Flint 10-06-2017 01:02 PM

I think what gets lost in discussing the logistics of protest movements is the actual purpose of the movement--why it exists. BLM doesn't exist to benefit white college kids, and it is incidental to the existence of the movement that it peripherally gratifies the desire of some white college kids to virtue signal, whether that desire is earnest, or misguided, or anything in between. I don't think anybody was stating that BLM is exclusively black. Rather, the purpose of BLM is to call attention to the plight of black Americans.

I have made the error of posting an out-of-scope criticism which referenced your thread topic, when my intent was to point out that your thread topic wasn't even in play. I acknowledge your tenacity in trying to corral the thread back in that direction, I just thought it was a s t r e t c h

:::puts, like, a thousand words in clodfobble's mouth::: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯