The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

Bullitt 02-09-2009 03:38 PM

Rescue Me season 2, watched all the Rambo's this weekend. Pointless trivia: Rambo doesn't kill anyone in the first movie.

Trilby 02-09-2009 05:29 PM

Jesus' Son. SUCKED. Completely a waste of time and energy. If this guy can get a book published and a movie made, I'm freaking golden

BigV 02-12-2009 08:25 PM

Life of Brian

Contrasted with

Jesus Christ Superstar

which SonofV has specifically requested and queued up a couple nights this week. He's even scanned youtube for clips including clips of alternate performances. Cool.

Also, lots of Looney Tunes. Timeless classics.

Shawnee123 02-12-2009 08:38 PM

V...I have an old VCR tape of old cartoon classics. Early Daffy (biggest fan here) and other stuff.

What is different is there is a cartoon called Lazy Town. It's very racist. Enough so that you think "no way!"

It's history, right or wrong. Wrong. But it was never rewritten like history books. You start to see what the status quo was, then.

capnhowdy 02-12-2009 09:16 PM

Roadrunner rules.

dar512 02-13-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 533868)

Hello my baby. Hello my honey. Hello my ragtime gaalllllll.

Ribbit.

Clodfobble 02-13-2009 11:21 AM

Just started season one of Mad Men. I'm interested, yet wary. The pilot moved kind of slowly. And yeah, I get that the 50s-60s were horribly sexist. But I don't think I can watch a whole series based around that one fact.

Beest 02-13-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 533875)
V...I have an old VCR tape of old cartoon classics. Early Daffy (biggest fan here) and other stuff.

What is different is there is a cartoon called Lazy Town. It's very racist. Enough so that you think "no way!"

It's history, right or wrong. Wrong. But it was never rewritten like history books. You start to see what the status quo was, then.

we have some DVD's of cartoons, 3+ hours long a dollar each from Walmart, time fillers for road trips. the stuff on them is very old, one of the Bugs Bunnys is jaw droppingly racist, but only in context, that stuffs so out of date now the kids don't make the connections.

Chocolatl 02-13-2009 03:23 PM

Watched the 1938 Errol Flynn movie The Adventures of Robin Hood last night. It was kinda campy, but not bad for a 70 year old flick! It was interesting to watch it and go "Hey, this is from the Disney Robin Hood!" or "Hey! That's just like in Princess Bride!" Only to quickly realize that those other movies actually all paid homage to this one.

monster 02-13-2009 11:40 PM

hah! i'm watching that as i type (Jesus Christ, Superstar), and we have Life of Brian lined up for the kids over winter break in 10 days (they gave it to beest for christmas)

Quote:

Life of Brian

Contrasted with

Jesus Christ Superstar

which SonofV has specifically requested and queued up a couple nights this week. He's even scanned youtube for clips including clips of alternate performances. Cool.

wolf 02-14-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Jesus Christ Superstar

Please, please, please make sure that you get the 2000 TV version.

Not that I have anything against the 1973 Norman Jewison directed version, I mean it DOES have Yvonne Elliman singing "I Don't Know How to Love Him," but, well, it's just so 70s, and I didn't like it very much then, but the newer one, it's very minimlist, but very cool. Strong performances, neat staging.

I always wanted to see the stage version, with Ben Vereen rising up on the big stained glass butterfly at the end, but my parents were simply not that cool.

capnhowdy 04-25-2009 07:57 PM

Jeff Beck
Live at Ronnie Scott's
The thickstringer is a chic. And DAY UM! She is phenomenal! Not to mention Jeff's totally unconventional style.
With special guest appearances by Joss Stone, Imogen Heap, and yes... none other than Slowhand.
Great show.

Crimson Ghost 04-26-2009 12:46 AM

I just picked up "Rock 'n' Rule". That, followed by "Heavy Metal", is going to be our Sunday night viewing.

glatt 04-26-2009 08:21 AM

Just watched Caprica last night.

P.U. What a stinker. At least there was a little brief nudity.

capnhowdy 04-26-2009 08:32 AM

Jim Carrey's "Yes Man" sucks. That is all.