The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   good music on youtube (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13372)

classicman 10-12-2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 598222)
Same thing with Itzak Perlman. I don't get it.

I saw him at a venue in DE about 30 years ago. Place MAY have held 3000 people. I was in the 9th row. I am still at awe of the sound that man created from some wood and a few horsehairs.

smoothmoniker 10-12-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 600536)
I am still at awe of the sound that man created from some wood and a few horsehairs.

The wood and horsehairs that he plays is consider by many to be the greatest violin ever constructed, the Stadivarious Soil. It was made by Stradivari, during a period called his "Golden Age", when he was making the best instruments he ever made.

To take nothing at all away from Perlman, whose tone is gorgeous, but he's not exactly playing a walmart violin.

plthijinx 10-13-2009 03:12 PM

sick puppies - Goin' down

Flint 10-13-2009 07:49 PM

WTF

Metallica covered by Die Krupps.

skysidhe 10-15-2009 08:36 AM

From Urban Hymns

Shawnee123 10-21-2009 08:44 AM

Sundae 10-30-2009 07:30 PM

Yeah, this probably isn't great music.
But it's good pop. And it's on youtube. So I can indulge without shame.

Stumbled on another one of his (Darius Danesh) songs earlier, and it brought it all back. Moving to Leicester, still in love with the evil ex, working 60 hours a week, driving home after a late night supermarket shift (5 hours before having to get up and work in an office) and singing along to this album at the top of my voice. When I was in funds I might stop for a kebab. When I wasn't I'd be terrified that I didn't have enough petrol to get home.

If I was asked at the time if I was happy I might have hesitated. In hindsight... Well, that's why this song puts a lump in my throat, I don't expect anyone else to revere it the way I do.

But tomorrow I'll be singing, "I am incredible, I am amazing" just to cheer myself up... Of course that's what I used to sing!

Undertoad 10-31-2009 02:42 PM

Everything Everything - MY KZ, YR BF

At first you think it's overproduced dance-pop, but then it suddenly becomes secretly complicated, traditional Manchester scene with lyrics like poetry. I'm not sure the video adds anything to the song:

And I wanna know what happened to your boyfriend
Cos he was looking at me like "woah..!"
Yeah right before the kitchen was a dustbowl
And tossing me the keys and I can't forget how
everything just coming through the windows
and half the street was under my nails
it's like we sitting in the Faraday cage,
when the lights all failed

I fly through the walls
all pieces colliding and i
see raymond apart
he'a a frowning now, wagging a finger at me
"boy!" his knees bend the other way and
"boy! boy!" are you guys together honey?
"b..b..boy!" oh but now i can't find his torso,
mmhmmhmm i guess you're separated ooh,
It's like I'm watching the A4 paper taking over the guillotine
Monica i just wanna know...ooh
It's like I'm watching the A4 paper taking over the guillotine

Clodfobble 11-01-2009 12:37 AM

I agree, the video's not right. I wasn't really digging it until I tried closing my eyes for a second, and then it was a totally different song. Good stuff.

Edit: And now I am sad because they do not have an album I can consider purchasing. Three iTunes downloads seems to be all there is for now.

Redux 11-01-2009 01:19 AM

Mark-Almond Band -- The City

From the 70s after Jon Mark and Johnny Almond left John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers.

(I think they both played with Mayall and the Bluesbreakers the same time as Clapton in the mid-late 60s).

Undertoad 11-01-2009 11:19 AM

Yeah this Everything Everything is just breaking, and they should have an album out in the future. This is also the case with that Rox I enjoyed so much.

Flint 11-01-2009 09:29 PM

It's like they're running prog-era Genesis code under a Duran Duran UI.

lumberjim 11-01-2009 10:01 PM

live zeppelin from 1979.....right near the end...makes me feel some times......as an eagle leaves the nest....

DanaC 11-04-2009 12:05 PM

Oh that Everything Everything one is excellent. Wonder if they took their name from the Underworld album. Would have been big on the scene round about when these guys were forming their musical tastes.

Talking of which....

Spexxvet 11-04-2009 12:35 PM