The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly amusing you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20235)

Pie 07-13-2009 12:48 PM

Snork!

xoxoxoBruce 07-15-2009 08:41 AM

And sincere. :lol2:

Pie 07-15-2009 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Holy crap, HM got a shout-out on Boingboing!
Quote:

Tapecraft: art made with tape and markers

Posted by Cory Doctorow, July 14, 2009 10:01 PM | permalink

Flickr user Happy Monkey has a set of "Tapecraft" objects: "Crafts constructed from simple invisible tape and colored with permanent markers." Tapecraft (via Evil Mad Scientists)

Clodfobble 07-15-2009 09:00 AM

Sweet! Go HM!!

Happy Monkey 07-15-2009 10:17 AM

Whee! I was wondering why my flickr stats were exploding!

Shawnee123 07-15-2009 10:20 AM

Very cool HM. See, we have the best monkeys.

Clodfobble 07-16-2009 12:10 PM

Somewhere there exists a woman with my first and last name, about my age. Her mother is email-challenged, despite working in a relatively technical field, and routinely sends me emails intended for her daughter. This poor woman has never once responded to my repeated replies that I am not her daughter and she should double-check her email address, so I continue to get these detailed glimpses into someone else's life, including family photos. Apparently the anti-me just had a baby a few days ago. I replied and told the woman to tell her daughter congratulations for me.

Pie 07-16-2009 12:18 PM

Maybe you could set up an automatic "rule" to forward on Mom's emails to the daughter?

lumberjim 07-16-2009 12:32 PM

can i have her email address please? I'd like to rick roll her.

glatt 07-16-2009 12:34 PM

I was getting e-mails meant for a high school teacher from his students. Some of them containing homework. At first I worked hard to clear up the misunderstandings. Went on intermittently for a year or more. Then I just started deleting them. Deleting them worked faster in my case. I stopped getting them shortly after that. I guess that when students get zeros on homework for failing to turn them in, the teacher realizes there is a serious problem. What teacher uses gmail for work anyway?

lumberjim 07-16-2009 12:38 PM

gmail offers a mail service for 'your domain' that is just like regular gmail

I have jhelm@whereiwork.com and it was a simple thing to set my main gmail acct to pull emails into it. when i send mail, i can select which address i'm sending it from. slick

Shawnee123 07-16-2009 12:39 PM

Are there adjunct HS teachers? lol

Clodfobble 07-16-2009 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie
Maybe you could set up an automatic "rule" to forward on Mom's emails to the daughter?

I would, but I don't know the daughter's address, other than it must be similar to mine. The woman's phone number is in her signature, since she emails me from work, so one of these days I suppose I'll get bothered enough to call her on the phone and remind her again that her daughter must be so sad, thinking her mother never emails her and doesn't love her.

dar512 07-16-2009 01:38 PM

Clod, you are seeing the half-empty jar and missing out on a lot of fun. Just reply and tell her all about your

new tatoo
decision to name your child Michael Jackson
tongue piercing
new job as pole dancer
decision to move to the opposite coast
decision to become a lesbian

I'm sure you could think of a lot more.

ZenGum 07-16-2009 07:30 PM

I too have a problem with gmail doubling up.

I am Zen.Gum at gmail. (not my real address)

Someone else registered ZenGum at gmail. Gmail cheerfully assures me that it is in fact me. Dumbasses.

Every now and then one aimed at him reaches me. One time I got an offer of an internship in a Chicago law office, or something. That one I replied to, to straighten things out, but lately I am ignoring them. If it keeps up, I think I will try Dar's solution. Nice idea.