The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Cellar Meta (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hall of Fame (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9064)

Ibby 07-10-2006 06:08 PM

I'm glad I dont use Professional, cause I SO pressed that.

dar512 07-10-2006 07:40 PM

I think that's actually a driver thing. At least it was on my work machine. When I got my new machine last year I couldn't figure out why control-alt-up arrow wasn't working in Eclipse (Java IDE). It really ticked me off when I found out. Drivers should not preempt key combinations by default.

Elspode 07-10-2006 09:37 PM

What are you guys, a bunch of sadists? *What* happens when you press Ctrl Alt UpArrow?

Happy Monkey 07-10-2006 10:08 PM

Nothing, usually. Now, the other arrows...

Kitsune 07-11-2006 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
What are you guys, a bunch of sadists? *What* happens when you press Ctrl Alt UpArrow?

It removes entire directory trees, instantly! Isn't that useful?

Beestie 07-11-2006 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsune

There's an easy way to prevent that.

Just create a file (any file - any format) then save it as spotted.owl and put it near the top.

footfootfoot 07-11-2006 11:45 AM

heh heh

Elspode 07-11-2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Microsoft's idea of a feature, eh? Or is it just a sick Easter egg?

Kitsune 07-11-2006 09:05 PM

Beestie, I'd add that to The Hall of Fame if it weren't already here.

BigV 07-12-2006 09:35 AM

So I was at Best Buy yesterday, and as I walked through the laptop showroom, I tried the ctrl-alt-down combo. Nuttin. Checked the properties of "My Computer", sure enough, XP Home. Tried again on the next one over. Voila! And the next one and the next one and the next one.... It was worth the karma cost! :lol:

Kitsune 07-12-2006 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
So I was at Best Buy yesterday, and as I walked through the laptop showroom, I tried the ctrl-alt-down combo. Nuttin. Checked the properties of "My Computer", sure enough, XP Home. Tried again on the next one over. Voila! And the next one and the next one and the next one.... It was worth the karma cost! :lol:

You guys are either full of shit or every copy of XP Pro that I run is broken. ("fixed"?) It doesn't do jack.

dar512 07-12-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

You guys are either full of shit or every copy of XP Pro that I run is broken. ("fixed"?) It doesn't do jack.

I commented on this above. I don't think it's XP. I'm pretty sure it's a video driver thing. The Intel driver on my work machine did weird things with those keys until I turned it off.

BigV 07-12-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Solve the problem. With the computer comes the Intel Graphics Driver and it loads a program called hkcmd.exe. I disabled this through the program's hotkey tab and suddenly my Ctrl-Alt-Arrow started working again.

(This is c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe, labeled as HotKeysCmds in the HKLM>Software>Microsoft>windows>currentversion>run)
from here.
more
Intel video driver thang, I'm sure. Look for hkcmd.exe. If it's running, buckle up. If not, nothing. Normally, it runs on this pc. When I summoned task manager and ended that process, the key combo did nothing. Oh well.

Ibby 07-13-2006 06:45 PM

I decided that I wanted to put my ONE THOUSANDth post here.

BigV 07-20-2006 01:02 PM

dar512 makes a bold understatement, worthy of inclusion here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512
It's not all organized religion, Els. I'm Catholic. My kids went/are going to Catholic grade school - where they teach evolution.

Not all those who believe in God and Jesus are brain-dead.

Yes, sir, dar512, and thank you for saying so.