The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What is this? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14695)

BigV 06-28-2007 02:10 PM

What is this?

1 Attachment(s)
What is this thing?

I have taken many (many) pictures since I quit using film cameras, since electrons are so much less expensive than film stock. Some of those pictures have been interesting to look at, partly because they were unusual subjects, or extreme close ups, or had the context removed from the frame, any other reason. I'm sure you've all seen such pictures. I have fun looking at them and guessing what they are. Maybe you'll have fun guessing what these are.

BigV 06-28-2007 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a repeat from a while back that neatly fits into this thread.

elSicomoro 06-28-2007 02:24 PM

Big, I don't need to know what you and your wife do with that first thing. :D

BigV 06-28-2007 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another one.

Pie 06-28-2007 02:57 PM

The last one is some sort of sparkler?

BigV 06-28-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 359719)
Big, I don't need to know what you and your wife do with that first thing. :D

Ha.

You're close, though. One pumps and the other squeezes. Care to guess?

I bet xoB would know. busterb, zippyt and BrianR are other likely candidates. The picture is of my first time using the device.

BigV 06-28-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 359739)
The last one is some sort of sparkler?

No, but you're getting warm (!), because it *is* fire.

elSicomoro 06-28-2007 03:13 PM

The first looks like a tripod or some type of catapult mechanism.

The second looks like the inside of a paper lantern.

The third looks like an actual paper lantern.

This is almost like a Rorschach test. :)

Shawnee123 06-28-2007 03:32 PM

Is the last one a lit cigarette?

The first one, some kind of wood clamp for woodworking?

Kitsune 06-28-2007 03:34 PM

First one looks like old aircraft center console controls. Flaps, throttle, etc.

BigV 06-28-2007 03:46 PM

What it is -- Post #1

2 Attachment(s)
Good guesses all!

This is a steel strapping machine. Here are a couple more shots, the first from a different angle and the second of the finished product.

It works by taking a length of strap steel (like what a tape measure is made from, but flat) and running it around the bundle and through the machine. Then each movement of the handle ratchets the strap tighter and tighter. When it's tight enough, then a clip is placed onto a section of the straps where they overlap and the second machine with the opposing handles is placed over the clip and it's crimped into place. Then you slide the ratchet tightener out and your strapped bundle is complete. You may trim the excess strap past the crimp.

Flint 06-28-2007 04:11 PM

I should have figured that out. I read about a high-profile engineering firm that interviews applicants by presenting them with a briefcase full of various mechanical and electronic objects. The applicant has to guess what these things do, to the best of their ability, based on their experience and raw reasoning power. Wish I had a link, this was a print article. Pop Sci, or Discover, or Scientific American.

Anyway, please don't reveal the green thing. That one has stumped us for a good long while, now.

BigV 06-28-2007 04:18 PM

Are you serious about the green thing? It was posted before, and revealed too. I don't mind waiting, but it's more about the interesting pictures and conversation than it is about playing stump the chumps. Perhaps I should post the "answer" in invisible spoiler text or something.

Regardless, I'll wait a while. Anybody dying to know may pm me for the answer right away.

Plus, I'd love to see other's interesting and unusual pictures. I'll have more of my own posted soon. Keep guessing!

Flint 06-28-2007 04:20 PM

I never saw the answer.

"interesting and unusual pictures" ...I've been saving a few personal WTFs... on my drive at home.

xoxoxoBruce 06-28-2007 04:29 PM

That steel strapping has been replaced with the saran wrap looking stuff that only sticks to itself. The green button is easy but that red blob is too vague for anything but a wild guess. I'll guess a campfire.