The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mueller (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33131)

Clodfobble 03-25-2019 06:01 PM

Mueller did precisely his job, no more and no less. That's good. What the House chooses/manages to do with that information is still up in the air.

Like most legal questions, it all comes down to definitions, whether it's the word "collusion" or "what the definition of is is." What's indisputable is that the President asked a foreign power on national television to deliver damaging information on his opponent during an election.

henry quirk 03-25-2019 06:02 PM

One battle won...

...and war goes on (till the end of Trump's second term...mebbe...might stretch on past the end...cuz them folks is a vindictive bunch...'unforgiving' is charitable as a descriptor of these people).

#

"What's indisputable is that the President asked a foreign power on national television to deliver damaging information on his opponent during an election."

I know, for a fact, you're not stupid, so: why are you promotin' such a goddamned stupid notion? You know Trump was crackin' wise, you KNOW it.

glatt 03-25-2019 08:24 PM

He said it.

Trump supporters always like to say what he really meant when he said what he said.

Undertoad 03-25-2019 08:39 PM

But if you want to win, you must focus on Trump's actual deficiencies, not this kind of flibbity-flabbity*. That's only in my opinion, which is questionable.

*nonsense words possibly invented by Cosby and I apologize

Griff 03-25-2019 08:52 PM

This country desperately needs a uniter now. That’s something the top tier of candidates seems unlikely to be.

Clodfobble 03-25-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
But if you want to win, you must focus on Trump's actual deficiencies, not this kind of flibbity-flabbity*. That's only in my opinion, which is questionable.

To me, his relationship with Putin is an actual deficiency. His treatment of women, or mocking the disabled, sure--those I can accept as not necessarily being connected to his role as a politician, much as I personally despise them. But his foreign policy is a real problem. (Insert similar disclaimer about my opinion being questionable, too. :))

Clodfobble 03-25-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk
You know Trump was crackin' wise, you KNOW it.

It's never a good idea to assume that people who disagree with you are being willfully evil. Cross my heart and hope to die, I do NOT believe he was "crackin' wise." Russia was demonstrably in possession of said emails at the time, he knew it, and he asked for them. I'll grant you this: I honestly think it didn't even occur to him that such a request might be against the law, let alone bad for the country. He's not malicious; he's dangerously incompetent.

henry quirk 03-26-2019 08:26 AM

"Trump supporters always like to say what he really meant when he said what he said."

And: Trump haters always like to say what he really meant when he said what he said.

##

"This country desperately needs a uniter now."

Not yet: there's still more shit to wreck.

##

"his foreign policy is a real problem"

Only if you support commies (or are one*).

#

"It's never a good idea to assume that people who disagree with you are being willfully evil."

But you are, clod.

#

"Cross my heart and hope to die, I do NOT believe he was "crackin' wise."

No, you KNOW he was.

#

"Russia was demonstrably in possession of said emails at the time, he knew it, and he asked for them."

If so: thank Crom he did. Sure as shit American journalists weren't doin' their job.

#

"he's dangerously incompetent."

And he's free and the President (oh noes!).

#

"I honestly think it didn't even occur to him that such a request might be against the law"

It wasn't (a request), and he wasn't doin' **dastardly.

#

"let alone bad for the country"

Clinton ain't prez, so the road ahead is gold.

*or if you're an islamist...can't forget about that fine, upstanding class of would-be global tyrants

**'course, this is in the eye of the beholder...Trump could cure all cancer and all he'd get, from folks like you, is grief for puttin' a whole whack of doctors out of business

Undertoad 03-26-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1029048)
To me, his relationship with Putin is an actual deficiency.

If you have a very serious foreign policy concern you must focus on that. Instead, by parsing a devastating political joke as if it was an actual request, you are playing a "gotcha game" that regular folks -- i.e., voters -- are dead tired of. IMRO*

Playing a "gotcha game" over a serious foreign policy concern also signals to the regular folks that this is not actually a serious foreign policy concern.

Currently, IMRO, anything related to Russia plays directly into his hands.

*In My Ridiculous Opinion

sexobon 03-26-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1029049)
It's never a good idea to assume that people who disagree with you are being willfully evil. ...

Had he employed Hanlon's Razor, it wouldn't exactly have worked to your advantage here. Just sayin'.

IMHO.

henry quirk 03-26-2019 08:56 PM

well, I know clod ain't stupid, so...

;)

BigV 03-26-2019 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1029107)
Had he employed Hanlon's Razor, it wouldn't exactly have worked to your advantage here. Just sayin'.

IMHO.

Let's apply Hanlon's Razor to Trump's statement under discussion and countless others like it.

It's a disqualifying condition to be *that* stupid and be President.

BigV 03-26-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1029110)
;)

so she's malicious?

Waaaaiiiiit... this is that crackin' wise bullshit, right?

Whatever dude.

henry quirk 03-26-2019 09:53 PM

"so she's malicious?"

well, duh

#

"Let's apply Hanlon's Razor to Trump's statement under discussion and countless others like it."

Hmm, cuz some folks are too stupid (or evil) to see a joke for what it is, Trump's to blame?

'Whatever dude.'

sexobon 03-26-2019 10:37 PM

Hard to believe someone can be malicious and delicious at the same time; but, somehow she pulls it off.