The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Random Pics (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=1528)

xoxoxoBruce 03-21-2019 10:26 AM

A friend of my father was a die maker for Milton Bradly, he could put together jigsaw puzzles face down... the puzzles, not him.
Although he could do it three sheets to the wind, not face down. :haha:

Diaphone Jim 03-21-2019 12:17 PM

I have thought of the upside-down thing, but never the mixing.

xoxoxoBruce 03-28-2019 10:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They won't give you warts but maybe VD...

xoxoxoBruce 04-01-2019 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An underground fuel tank won't stay underground if it's empty and there is ground water to float it up.

Carruthers 04-01-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1029584)
An underground fuel tank won't stay underground if it's empty and there is ground water to float it up.

At sewage works in the UK the large circular tanks are never completely emptied to avoid the possibilty of them floating on ground water and being damaged. When being cleaned or serviced they have clean water pumped in as ballast.

None of you knows how long I've been waiting to share that fact. :)

fargon 04-01-2019 03:58 PM

That was a Shitty Story. LOL!!!

Glinda 04-01-2019 11:52 PM

Damn you, fargon :mad:

I'll need incontinence pants soon!

Glinda 04-01-2019 11:55 PM

Damn you, fargon and Carruthers. :mad:

I'll need incontinence pants soon!

xoxoxoBruce 04-02-2019 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carruthers (Post 1029588)
At sewage works in the UK the large circular tanks are never completely emptied to avoid the possibilty of them floating on ground water and being damaged. When being cleaned or serviced they have clean water pumped in as ballast.

None of you knows how long I've been waiting to share that fact. :)

When I worked at Westinghouse they closed down one of the power plants. There were two underground oil tanks of over 25,000 gallons (never did find how much over), and since the ground was about six or seven feet above the river it's a good bet the ground water level was that high. If they popped up they would have to be decontaminated and disposed of which is a very expensive process.
They had ready mix concrete trucks lined up for a half mile in both directions to fill both tanks.

Diaphone Jim 04-02-2019 12:08 PM

Swimming pools are supposed to have a hydrostatic relief valve that equalizes the water level inside and outside the pool.
If not, you can get a nice boat that floats up out of the ground (until it crumbles).
They used to make concrete boats. Boots too, I guess..

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2019 12:37 AM

That's odd Jim, swimming pools are usually full to almost the top so I don't see how outside water would be high enough to float it. :confused:
I guess some people drain their pool in winter though. Those one piece fiberglass pools that look like a big boat before they're installed might be easy to float.

Diaphone Jim 04-03-2019 11:35 AM

Draining the pool for maintenance or whatever is just the time when the pool level might be lower than the water table and up it comes.
With the extreme cost of installing (or re-installing) a pool, this is to be avoided. The valve I mentioned is about 30 bucks.

Gravdigr 04-03-2019 12:25 PM

Wow. Water, man.

Amirite?

Flint 04-03-2019 12:55 PM

Tell me about it!

Water = bad news. Too risky.

Happy Monkey 04-04-2019 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1029661)
I guess some people drain their pool in winter though. Those one piece fiberglass pools that look like a big boat before they're installed might be easy to float.

Yeah, my neighborhood pool is drained for the winter. But we're high up on a hill, so no groundwater issues.