The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Proud Parent Brag Time (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13589)

Flint 05-12-2013 10:32 PM

I'll go: Mini-Pooka is finishing up Kindergarten apparently reading at a fourth-grade level. I think she got a double-dose of geek genes.

Griff 05-13-2013 05:39 AM

water- you haz it

monster 05-13-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 864880)
I'll go: Mini-Pooka is finishing up Kindergarten apparently reading at a fourth-grade level. I think she got a double-dose of geek genes.

(awesome)

:thumb:

classicman 05-20-2013 12:06 AM

W0W ... What smartypants y'all have.

Congrats on all to all and all.

Lamplighter 10-31-2013 10:37 AM

When you are my age, brag times on your children are fewer and further between.
Instead, it's usually the G-kids, or maybe even G-G-kids.

But today ! I get to brag on my oldest daughter's latest.

She essentially put herself through college and Nursing School.
She hated "pediatrics" and the "burn ward". So where did she
choose to work for the past 15+ years ?
...in the ER's of regional Trauma Centers (!)

Then a couple of years ago she hit the "burn out" phase.
But she hunkered down, and while still a Mom and working full time
she earned her Master's degree in Nursing and yesterday she...

...PASSED her Oregon State Board exams and now is a licensed
Nurse Practioner in Family Medicine. :cheerldr: :cheerldr: :cheerldr:

Pete Zicato 10-31-2013 10:44 AM

Excellent, Lamp. Please pass on my congratulations and well wishes.

glatt 10-31-2013 10:59 AM

That's awesome!

BigV 10-31-2013 03:31 PM

Outstanding, just wonderful!!!

Pass on my congratulations. :)

Griff 10-31-2013 08:06 PM

Nice!

orthodoc 10-31-2013 08:35 PM

Congratulations to all concerned! :)

Griff 12-13-2013 07:23 PM

Lil' Griff just got accepted early admission to her #1 college! And in related news ... it will be cheaper than a SUNY school because tuition is based on need.

glatt 12-13-2013 07:52 PM

That's fantastic news! Out of curiosity, what's the name of this school with need based tuition?

Edit: never mind. I just noticed the link. Hamilton is good. They wait listed my sorry self.

Griff 12-13-2013 08:01 PM

I was amazed when we checked the numbers. We're pretty stoked here but she's out drumming for the basketball game so it's just me and the old lady. hmmm... she's in a pretty good mood... giggity.

xoxoxoBruce 12-13-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Hamilton expects students to take responsibility for their educational choices. They will be counseled and supported by teachers and advisors, but the ultimate responsibility, just as the ultimate growth, will be the student's. For this reason, Hamilton does not have distribution requirements, which are found at nearly every other American college and university. We trust students with the freedom to select courses that make sense for their own intellectual development. As a result, Hamilton students attend classes because they are genuinely interested in the subject, not because they are fulfilling a requirement.
That sounds great for building responsible, self sufficient, citizens. But how do they know when you've learned enough to graduate, and what to give you a degree in?

Griff 12-13-2013 08:11 PM

Once you declare a major you do have to meet certain requirements inside your major. I think its only 10 classes of which you've probably taken some based on interest.

The idea that her classmates would be interested in the material was a major selling point. She's so very tired of high school slackers.