The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Parenting (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My Kid is a Damn Nutter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18924)

Undertoad 06-11-2009 04:38 PM

Further research took on the challenge of testing sucrose and aspartame effects by comparing them to saccharin as a placebo. It was found that “even when intake exceeds typical dietary levels, neither dietary sucrose nor aspartame affects children’s behavior or cognitive function” (Murray 1994).

Flint 06-11-2009 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 572969)
maybe you can study your own response if you eat a bowl of dicks

DanaC 06-11-2009 04:43 PM

I have heard that aspartame can cause problems. How is that a control?

Undertoad 06-11-2009 04:43 PM

beautifully played.

Undertoad 06-11-2009 04:45 PM

D, they could have given them all sugar. The moms were the focus of the test, not what the kids actually did. The study hinges on the mothers' understanding of what was given to the children.

Aliantha 06-11-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 572685)
That's type 2. Type 1 is autoimmune, when the body suddenly begins attacking the pancreas. It is unexpectedly triggered in childhood, and requires immediate and lifelong insulin dependence. Type 2 is when the pancreas is just tired and worn out after years of abuse, and can often be controlled with an improved diet and exercise.

Both types are on the rise, but of course everyone can see why Type 2 is going up--diet and crappy lifestyle, as you said. No one can explain why Type 1 is surging.

Challenge it all you want, there's scientific data to refute you, which even Undertoad acknowledged was convincing. Autism is the only one that's political; the medical community generally agrees about the rest. Type 1 diabetes and life-threatening allergies can't linger undiagnosed for years because they kill you, in ways that make it very obvious what you died from.

Well just because UT is convinced is no reason for me to be also. I can think for myself as well. ;)

Although you may be right in saying that the medical community generally agrees about the rest there is still no actual proof that most of these diseases didn't exist previously [eta: in the numbers that are now being diagnosed], and it's going to be impossible to ever know for sure simply because there isn't the historical data available.

While I understand your point of view and somewhat agree, I remain skeptical. That's all I'm trying to say.

Medical research is a massive industry with stakeholders from all arenas vying for the money offered by governments and other organizations as you know. I think it'll be another 50 years or more before we really know if what we think is going on now actually is.

Aliantha 06-11-2009 06:05 PM

Something that has been gnawing at my mind also is the fact that so many kids have been diagnosed with certain behavioural issues and put on medication to regulate and control those issues, and yet the number of teen suicides is on the rise.

Logically, if we’re heading in the right direction with these things, shouldn’t that figure be falling?

I know mental health issues aren’t the same as physical health issues, but they’re linked.

Clodfobble 06-11-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha
Well just because UT is convinced is no reason for me to be also. I can think for myself as well.

Yes, but he's read the evidence. Have you? There is historical data available, there is "actual proof." But you have to look at it to come to a conclusion.

Quote:

I think it'll be another 50 years or more before we really know if what we think is going on now actually is.

Better hope to God we're wrong, in that case. If things are the way we think they are, and nothing changes between now and then, in 50 years we'd be looking at an autism rate of 78%. There's a reason people are shouting that we can't afford to wait any longer on figuring this out.

Quote:

Something that has been gnawing at my mind also is the fact that so many kids have been diagnosed with certain behavioural issues and put on medication to regulate and control those issues, and yet the number of teen suicides is on the rise.

Logically, if we’re heading in the right direction with these things, shouldn’t that figure be falling?

I know mental health issues aren’t the same as physical health issues, but they’re linked.

I certainly agree that's a sign that they're doing it wrong. Medicating the kids is not the long-term answer. Finding the root of the behavioral disorders is.

Aliantha 06-11-2009 06:14 PM

Clod, he's read the book you recommended and that's great.

I'm not going to argue with you. I just wanted to express a point of view.

I wish you luck with your quest. I think you're doing a great job of informing yourself.

Clodfobble 06-11-2009 06:36 PM

Quote:

I think you're doing a great job of informing yourself.

But don't you see, that's the point. I didn't inform myself until I had to. Until it was too late. I had the exact same "it can't happen to me and my family" attitude that most people have. All I can do now is try to inform others.

Ask yourself this: if, God forbid, three years from now Max is diagnosed, how will you feel if you didn't inform yourself? I know exactly how you will feel, because I feel it every freaking day. You don't have to reach the same conclusions I have, not at all. But every parent owes it to their children and themselves to honestly look at the evidence.

Aliantha 06-11-2009 06:45 PM

It's funny you would post that, because I was just this instant thinking the same thing. But I've been reading your thread and all the information you've presented, and I'm 10 times more informed than I was previously.

I thank you for that.

There are just some things that you're convinced of that I'm not, and possibly never will be. I don't have and surely can't be expected to have the same perspective as you Clod. Just for the record though, I'm not suggesting that what you're saying is wrong. I just don't believe we have enough evidence, and you have said yourself there needs to be more research done by independant sources such as government. I wholeheartedly agree with this.

We all need to protect our children.

ZenGum 06-12-2009 12:57 AM

What? Someone is actually thinking of the children?

dar512 06-12-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 572685)
No one can explain why Type 1 is surging.

All autoimmune diseases are on a rapid rise. Do a google search on the rise of autoimmune diseases. Lots of opinions. No proven answers.

Clodfobble 06-12-2009 02:02 PM

Which is another reason why so many people are of the opinion that autism is also an autoimmune disease, rather than a neurological deformity that one is "just born with." Helps a lot with the treatment if you know what you're trying to treat. :)

dar512 06-12-2009 03:42 PM

Interesting, Clod. I didn't know that.