The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Sigh, School. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11440)

Ibby 08-09-2006 08:28 PM

Sigh, School.

Blegh.

First day of school.

I hate school.

Now I can't spend every other moment on the Cellar, I'll only be here at night (night here, I get up at like eleven PM), and, like now, during free period.

glatt 08-09-2006 08:33 PM

Tell us a little about your life, Ibram. Do you have many friends locally? I lived abroad for a year in high school, and outside of my siblings, never really made any friends. It's really hard in a foreign country. I would have loved the Cellar back in those days. I read a lot.

Do you see many Americans your age?

Elspode 08-09-2006 11:11 PM

Yeah. We know you're darn well versed in musical subjects (pretty mature tastes for a youngster, I say), but we don't really know much about you outside of the whole androgeny thing.

What is a day in Ibram's life like over there on the other side of the globe?

barefoot serpent 08-10-2006 09:07 AM

do the PE classes offer Kung Fu?

Urbane Guerrilla 08-12-2006 03:48 AM

Androgyny thing? The things I miss...

High school wasn't a complete drag for me, except for the math classes -- meet the minimums for college admission and get out of it! High school chemistry and high school physics were not easy, but were very rewarding. Nowadays, though, I'd need a fair slug of remedial algebra to calculate an orbit.

smoothmoniker 08-12-2006 12:32 PM

I hated high school, in every way. The system is not setup to allow intelligent and curious students to excell - the sheer volume of busy work and menial assignments are well designed to crush the soul.

A lot of that changes in College. For one thing, you get to have more say in what subjects you want to pursue. Also, the amount of "make-work" stuff goes way down. You're graded based on content-driven papers, and exams. Mental horsepower starts to become an advantage instead of just making you frustrated and bored.

If you decide to go into graduate work, the change is even more extreme. You focus down on one very specific area, and you find yourself in a community of people who are just as focused on learning, curiosity, and content as you are.

elSicomoro 08-12-2006 12:51 PM

I love grad school...best decision I've ever made, next to dating April.

I hated high school when I attended, but looking back now, it wasn't so bad. I learned a lot and met some cool people. I think I felt better about HS after I attended my 10 year reunion in '04. I was in the same place or better than most folks, plus I can't harbor resentment like I used to.

College was cool...learned more shit and met more cool people. I liked living on campus; being a commuter wasn't so great, though.

Grad school is awesome...I'm almost halfway done. Not so many new people to meet (only 13 in my group), but the amount of learning I've done is just stoopid...hard to remember it all.

I want to get my Ph.D. next year, but April won't let me. She wants to get married and buy a house. Her priorities are obviously fucked up. ;)

JayMcGee 08-12-2006 07:25 PM

*yearns for a forum not dominated by high-school kids.*

ah well, maybe it's time I got a life....

glatt 08-12-2006 07:36 PM

Dominated?

Look at the members list, who posts the most, and their profiles. Very very few high school kids here.

Ibram is the first one I can recall who has fit in at all.

JayMcGee 08-12-2006 07:43 PM

'scuse me....

as a grumpy old man I exercise the right to be grumpy and furthermore my status as a GOM excuses me from dealing with facts.

Griff 08-12-2006 08:26 PM

Yep. I'm with sm/syc. High School < College < Grad School. Just survive High School don't let it get to you then do something you find relevant.

9th Engineer 08-12-2006 08:44 PM

Being only one year out of highschool I still haven't gotten over most of the resentment, glad to hear it fades though. I envy you Ibram, I've heard such great stuff about the highschools in Taiwan (ok, from Taiwanese friends so maybe not such an unbiased reference) it's gotta be better than what we make do with here. What are your classes like?

Trilby 08-12-2006 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMcGee
GOM excuses me from dealing with facts.

What's a GOM? And, just how old are you?

JayMcGee 08-12-2006 08:58 PM

ah, brianna,

*sighs* Deep down, I knew this was a read only board....

GOM = grumpy old man..

i was born in 1950 - the maths is down to you.

ashke 08-13-2006 06:17 AM

Hey! Taiwan! But I hear that it's pretty competitive over there getting into a good university baaaah.

Hang on dude! School will be over before you know it ^_^