The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Like Coffee Black = Psychopath (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32419)

xoxoxoBruce 12-27-2016 09:12 PM

Like Coffee Black = Psychopath

Quote:

Highlights
Bitter taste preferences are positively associated with antisocial personality traits.
Bitter taste preferences most robustly predict everyday sadism.
Results suggest close relationship between the gustatory system and personality.
I knew it, people who like bitter food are sickos. :lol:

Quote:

Abstract

In two studies, we investigated how bitter taste preferences might be associated with antisocial personality traits. Two US American community samples (total N = 953; mean age = 35.65 years; 48% females) self-reported their taste preferences using two complementary preference measures and answered a number of personality questionnaires assessing Machiavellianism, psychopathy, narcissism, everyday sadism, trait aggression, and the Big Five factors of personality.

The results of both studies confirmed the hypothesis that bitter taste preferences are positively associated with malevolent personality traits, with the most robust relation to everyday sadism and psychopathy. Regression analyses confirmed that this association holds when controlling for sweet, sour, and salty taste preferences and that bitter taste preferences are the overall strongest predictor compared to the other taste preferences.

The data thereby provide novel insights into the relationship between personality and the ubiquitous behaviors of eating and drinking by consistently demonstrating a robust relation between increased enjoyment of bitter foods and heightened sadistic proclivities.
I'd tell you more but they want $35.95 for the full paper.

Griff 12-27-2016 09:15 PM

That's me!

BigV 12-27-2016 09:16 PM

California man fights DUI charge for driving under influence of caffeine

I wonder if the paper has any warnings about driving while drinking...

xoxoxoBruce 12-27-2016 09:59 PM

Even though I don't like bitter things, and after I tied her up she said she was bitter, that didn't deter me from tasting her. :rolleyes:

sexobon 12-27-2016 10:42 PM

What about the fifth taste, umami (savory)? Maybe a predilection for umami along with any of the others balances things out.

fargon 12-28-2016 10:14 AM

I drink black coffee all the time. I guess that means I'm sicker than I thought.

Pico and ME 12-30-2016 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 977634)
What about the fifth taste, umami (savory)? Maybe a predilection for umami along with any of the others balances things out.

Wishful thinking, Sexobon? ;)

sexobon 12-30-2016 08:10 PM

It's always been coffee and cream for me, sometimes café au lait/café con leche. For all I know, umami might turn my personality to the dark side of the coffee.

Happy Monkey 12-31-2016 10:45 AM

What's the opposite of a psychopath? I only drink coffee with chocolate.