The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So, How was your day? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17371)

lumberjim 05-28-2008 11:22 PM

So, How was your day?

mine was pretty nice.

I slept until noon. then i went and got my haircut. then i stoped at walmart. i bought 2 tubes of hair gel, a thing of cat litter and some liners, sunscreen, a car wash bargain kit for jinx's commander, a chamois, and a waxing cloth.....uh......three of those lighters with the long extender thing.....and a grille light out of the bargain isle. I had the psp media center and GUILD Wars programs in my hand for a whiel but put them back.

I stopped at D n D, got the usual and went home.....folded laundry, changed the cat box, cleaned the kithcen floor, unclogged teh vacuum, and unloaded the d/w. then we went to the gym.....had a nice workout, cardio, and swim....Dinner at Ron's Schoolhouse, stopped and bought beer, got home Ironed a bunch of work clothes, chatted, snacked, and drank .......some. watched tv......and now......to bed. might get some too.

you?

Shawnee123 05-28-2008 11:27 PM

STUDENT:
Okay. The first day, no, my vacation, what I did on my summer vacation, the first day on my vacation, I woke up.
Then, I went downtown to look for a job.
Then I hung out in front of the drugstore.
The second day on my summer vacation, I woke up.
Then I went downtown to look for a job.
Then I hung out in front of the drugstore.
The third day on my summer vacation, I woke up...

--Sister Mary Elephant :)

lumberjim 05-28-2008 11:29 PM

loved that skit.

if it's oregano, you can put it in your soup, ya beaner!

Sundae 05-29-2008 04:13 AM

Yesterday I achieved a lot.
Today, not so much.
Thanks for asking.

smoothmoniker 05-29-2008 08:10 AM

I'm taking part in a creative project centered around the transmission of the Lord's Prayer into English. The art department will be curating a show with original works based on the theme, some of the liberal arts faculty are working on scholarly publications, the library is collecting manuscripts to borrow and display, and the school of music will be performing a series of concerts, including new works written for the project. My role is to write a series of commissioned pieces for some of our own ensembles, and some guest artists that we'll be bringing in to perform.

Yesterday, they pulled all of us together, and we had an expert in Anglo Saxon (Old English) give a seminar in the migration of written language from Futhark Runes to the latinized Anglo Saxon. We looked at everything from Bede to Beowulf and the Lindisfarne Gospels.

The Lord Prayer read out loud in Old English.

I love this crap. This is one of my favorite things about being involved in academic life. They pay us to geek out on things, and then create new things based on it.

DanaC 05-29-2008 07:33 PM

Oh totally cool, sm. I love the sound of Old English. Last year when I did a module on Anglo-Saxon culture our professor was this brilliant and slightly eccentric medievalist with short grey pixie hair and glasses on a cord round her neck...in the first seminar she recited some Anglo-Saxon riddle verse. She was fluent and it sounded amazing. One day when I find the time I'd like to learn Old English.

Today was fairly restful for the most part. Unfortunately in the evening I had to attend a shitty meeting with a bunch of shits who are totally shitty where, unsurprisingly, I had a shitty time.

Yesterday, now yesterday was a much nicer day because it was my last exam. Having managed, with the devil nipping at my heels, to force myself to do some actual revision for the last day, I was able to arrive at uni feeling reasonably sanguine about what might crop up on the paper. Got there early enough to grab a coffee and a roll and on opening the exam paper I discovered that out of the eight questions (from which I was to select two) I could have whipped up an argument for at least 5 of them. Now, the answers I gave weren't the best essays I've ever written, but I think they'll pass muster enough not to drag my grades down too much which I'm happy with. Either way, last exam is done and that means apart from picking up marks the academic year is over til late september.

Walked out of exam down to the Student Union shopping mall and bought four sci-fi books from the Union bookstore (two Doctor Who and a Torchwood and then one random new sci-fi writer). Read for the hour long bus journey back, walked Pilau and then read for the rest of the afternoon. Glorious.

Cicero 05-29-2008 07:44 PM

It was ok. Work got bad publicity in a local rag that was unfounded, so everyone was concentrating on the response. I tried to go buy tickets for a show and the box office was closed. I got paid so I splurged on sugar-water (gatorade), and got a few rentals I am not that interested in, because all the good ones were out. Hopefully my picks will be delightfully surprising. Oh and I'm in an arguement with my husband about the actual amount our economic stimulus check will be. He claims that since we owe the IRS, we will get the full 1200like it says in this mailing we just got from them. I am skeptical and think they will tax the amount 45 percent. So I guess I'll just go back to my sugar water and movies!!!

lookout123 05-29-2008 08:10 PM

soooo, i never carry cash. evaaaar. I also only carry one debit card and one credit card. but we're leaving for vacation in like 36 hours so I grabbed some cash to carry because we'll be in airports and crap for like 12 hours. so i've got this big wad of cash in my wallet. and all my credit cards. and my debit cards. and my proof of insurance. and my starbucks cards too. ;) and my driver license. and... you know where this is going don't you?

Yep, I lost my wallet. Grrrr.

sometimes I seriously wonder whose sister I got caught screwing in a previous life to get this Karma.

SteveDallas 05-29-2008 08:13 PM

Shitty. Really shitty. And I already know tomorrow will be equally bad.

But thanks for asking! :cool:

footfootfoot 05-29-2008 08:13 PM

At first I was pretty stoked, I drove 1:45hrs to a shoot. Great to be back in the photo groove again. Still figuring out how to use this new (borrowed) digital camera w/ more bells and whistles...

shot ~700 raw 12meg files. Pooched a number of them. had a real hard time with the controls on the camera. This rig Canon D5 is supposed to be the son or nephew of my EOS 1N. It's the friggin red headed stepchild.

Anyway, got a bunch of good shots of my farmer friend butchering chickens. On the way I stopped at this tony coffee joint where they roast their own beans one at a time etc etc. and the make pretty decent bagels for Saratoga.

I get a ham egg and cheese on an everything bagel. I'm driving along listening to Anita Baker or James Brown and I see they use premade egg patties in their sandwiches. WTF? ok whatever. I'm still in a groove.

While at the farm I'm thinking of skip james's "Hard time killin' floor blues" check cmep3 later ;) that'd be the music to butcher to I guess.

So I head home at the end of the day and come back to the friggin possum in the trap. He'd been there all day, in the shade. I am not in the mood at this point. I figured I'd just let him go away from the house, since he's sleeping all curled up and comfy and what not. I'd seen enough killing for today.

So I go get the tarp to line the trunk, and I go over to the trap and now he's all snarling and showing his teeth and I'm all "you know, fuck you. I'm not playing that shit. Into the fucking river with you."

Came home, got a raft of shit about how my wife is "off duty"

Give the kids a bath. the millimeter decides she is going to do her Greg Louganis routine off the edge of the bed, ends up looking like friggin Sonny Liston, wailing. The Inch has got his hands clamped over his ears screaimng "I didn't do it, it wasn't my fault!"

The Dowas are off duty so it takes the millimeter a while to settle down, now beet red as well as lumpy around the head.

Everyone settles down, we scarf some nice lentil soup, there is one glass of red wine and a bottle of guiness.

Everyone else is upstairs going to bed.

Apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Trilby 05-29-2008 08:17 PM

sucky.

Cloud 05-29-2008 08:38 PM

Work day. boring. Woke up kinda late, rushed around getting ready. Wore a new dress which I ordered off the internet and just got yesterday. Get to work and realize--it's low cut. Really low cut, showing my bra. Kinda matched, so it wasn't a big deal, but I was fussing with it all day. Got ogled by an 80 year old man. I don't mind showing a little cleavage, but not my underwear.

Let's see. Finally got my boss to go over incoming correspondence and wind me up. Good. Did a lot of filing. Bad. Joked with my co-workers--warm fuzzies. Went to my fave Mexican restaurant. Good. They brought me a beef fajita taco instead of chicken. Bad.

Had a mini-OCD moment when I left work--you ever have those? I clocked out, walked out the door and--I thought I hadn't clocked out so I went back in and checked. Monk, where are you!

Hot today--95. Bad. Came home and vacuumed a tiny portion of my living room floor so I could work out. Good. My knees are still giving me problems, so couldn't walk or dance. Bad. Did upper body instead. Good.

Doing laundry. Meh. Drinking beer and reading my dirty stories now. GOOD!

TheMercenary 05-29-2008 09:05 PM

Lovely! Awesome! Life is very good for those that earn it.

monster 05-29-2008 09:15 PM

Awesome. The most stressful part was getting to my massage on time.

I blew off all the stuff I was supposed to be doing this morning and instead killed off my braincells reading The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. I don't know why, I had shitloads to do and tomorrow my day will be nasty as a result.... but it was fun.

Then I left for my massage almost on time, but my bike (which i had planned to use again before the car) was parked behind the car, and I forgot and knocked it over. Got out of car again (no small feat, have to clamber over and get out of passenger door because in order to fit it in the garage, the drivers door is right up against the wall, passenger seat is filled with my junk for the day). Pick up bike, place on top of huge heap in garage, scramble back into car, start off again, manage to catch hanging shovels with the wing mirror so they all fall down, under where the wheel is about to go. Scramble out again... fix... scramble back in.... finally make it out of the garage. Damn. Garage Door Opener still attached to bike handlebars. Which i now can't reach because i dumped it up high....

Only5 mins late for massage, though.

Went to the school, sold most of my Scrip stock, home via library, biked to kids' dive practice......

All very pleasant, thanks.

Tomorrow's gonna be a bitch, though....

Clodfobble 05-29-2008 10:43 PM

It was alright, I guess. First action officially within "today" was getting up at 4:00 AM to feed the Tinyfob. Then up again at 7:00, at which point she was wide awake but was nice enough to let me lay her in bed with me so I could snooze for another half hour or so before Minifob woke up.

Went to the grocery store with the kids, where the purchases included the food and cake for Minifob's birthday party on Saturday. The bakery people were able to do lettering on-the-spot, so the cake actually has his name on it. I'm also pleased because it's a carrot cake with little icing carrots all around the edge, which is cool because he's very much into bunnies and their typical accompanying food item right now.

During the short time when the naps overlapped, I fixed a few audio bugs that got assigned to me from work and cleaned the kitchen. This was a continuation of a week-long effort to make the house presentable for guests. My mom came by to visit after she got off work, and we went out for Mexican food. Then a guy from Craigslist came and bought the old TV, and he was a little upset when he realized he needed help getting it down the stairs and his only options were a woman in her 50s and one who had a baby six weeks ago. I assured him I was fine, and in the end had a much easier time maneuvering my half of the TV than he did. People don't understand that carrying/wrestling a 35-pound child around all day every day builds up some serious muscles. Then Miniob got a bath and put to bed with remarkably little fuss.

I just laid Tinyfob to sleep upright in her carseat for the night, because she's been screeching with gas pains all evening despite extensive burping and doses of Mylicon. She's not actually asleep yet, but with any luck she will be soon and then I'll be allowed to go to sleep myself, at least until somewhere between 2 and 4 in the morning.