The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What DVD's are we Watching? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9293)

Chocolatl 07-22-2008 07:33 PM

Just finished The Golden Compass. It was very pretty, but it was a little too much plot crammed into too little time. If I hadn't read the books, I would've had no idea what the heck was going on.

binky 07-22-2008 08:40 PM

The Ruins, at 12 yr old daughter's request. Slow start, gory, but okay I suppose.

dar512 07-23-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tink (Post 470810)
Bonus bought me a new 40" LCD HDTV. Had to make it a movie weekend.

Tink & V - Whadja get?

jester 07-23-2008 02:46 PM

Eastern Promises - Viggo (holy mother of God)

Tink 07-23-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 470953)
Tink & V - Whadja get?

Samsung. Gotta work on the Blu-ray next.

Sundae 07-23-2008 05:33 PM

Right now I am watching Hot Fuzz after a 2 month absence (my boss borrowed it). And agter all that time away from the Pegg, she didn't even really enjoy it!

So am about to gorge myself. Nom nom nom.

For the record - I love watching dvds on my laptop!
I can hear everything on my headphones - I only have to have subtitles on if I want to!

Yay.

BrianR 07-24-2008 10:52 AM

I haven't expanded my collection recently. I may wait to decide what to do about Blu-Ray. My TV is a 52" Sony HD flatscreen and a basic surround sound system with a prog-scan DVD unit. And a new HD cable box. I have more DVD boxes than I can fit in my turntable DVD rack but I don't want to buy another for fear of aggravating the wife unit. Already, she fears Blu-Ray because I will likely replace all 500+ movies in the new format. Plus add new titles as I go.

I notice that it's all right to have a big collection when she turns me into the family movie store. Hmmm.

binky 08-06-2008 11:37 PM

An odd little movie called "Just add water", about a crappy little shithole town 25 miles from me called Trona, sadly pretty true to life including all the crappy boarded up abandoned houses. Good movie though, and even had a happy(though fantasy) ending

Clodfobble 08-07-2008 06:04 AM

Just watched Idiocracy the other night. I dunno. The whole thing felt like one long SNL sketch. I mean, on the one hand, I laughed out loud too many times to count. But it was all kind of absurd humor, and the overall tone was pretty preachy. It's hard to reconcile the fact that I was laughing the whole time but still felt pretty meh at the end.

Flint 08-07-2008 12:31 PM

What?! I found the fact that it was a comedy to be incidental; whereas the real value was that only in the absurd can you depict the true nature of the world we live in.

I think I just did the preachy thing you meant.

DanaC 08-07-2008 05:23 PM

Right now? I'm watching Doctor Who: The Hand of Fear....

Shawnee123 08-09-2008 10:30 AM

I watched United 93 last night. And cried. A lot.

Griff 08-10-2008 09:49 AM

Saw Antonio Bandaras in Take the Lead last night... lame and formulaic. Tony is better than that.

bluecuracao 08-10-2008 05:20 PM

We had a DVD marathon yesterday. The pick'ns at the $1 DVD kiosk were a little slim, unfortunately.

Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay--I wouldn't have regretted it on my deathbed if I had never seen this heavy-handed piece of poo. The White Castle version was better.

Doomsday--if you don't mind re-watching Escape from New York and The Road Warrior, but edited and combined in to one movie, then you might enjoy this one. The behind-the-scenes segment was kind of fun.

The Waitress--Nathan Fillian and pie. Yummay!

Chaos--Despite a decent plot, and eye-candy Jason Statham and Ryan Phillipe, this was a total snooze due to the dreary B-movie dialogue. My first thought was it would have been better if they'd let the actors ad-lib, but then I remembered that these guys are not exactly known for their gift of gab.

bluecuracao 08-10-2008 05:27 PM

Oh, I almost forgot--last weekend we rented In Bruges. Colin Farrell is hilarious, believe it or not. I think it's the best movie he's ever done.