The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Dishwasher horror and success stories please. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25453)

Pico and ME 07-02-2011 09:22 PM

well yeah...just sayin

sheesh

monster 07-02-2011 09:25 PM

I know, but I kinda made it clear that we just want the "stories" now......

Pico and ME 07-02-2011 09:26 PM

You really police your threads....:D

monster 07-02-2011 09:28 PM

You just earned yourself points on your Dwellar Licence.....

Pico and ME 07-02-2011 09:32 PM

aw man

So does that replace going on report?

footfootfoot 07-02-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 743170)
Why do brides wear white?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus (Post 743196)
Because you want the dishwasher to match the refrigerator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 743198)
No, we don't, as it happens. We want it to match the cooker/stove/oven/whatever the fuck you people call the hot-making thing that isn't a microwave.... who is black.

Here's my dishwasher horror story:

It was a dark and stormy night; the dishes were stacked to the ceiling, covering every level surface — except for occasional intervals, when they were checked by a violent piles of cutlery which swept up the sink (for it is in the kitchen that our scene lies), rattling along the cupboards, and fiercely agitating the scanty jet of phosphate free detergent laced water of the spinning jets that struggled against the grease, starch, and dried avocado.

Seriously though. We've had a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher, very cheap and inexpensive too. I've had to replace a few things in it over the past 8 years, a couple of hoses, a small valve, one of the dishracks. All very easy to get parts, relatively inexpensive and easy to fix by myself. I think they are about $300 new. I got no complaints.

This is the fella, the black one is a few bucks more.

It's quiet too.

Clodfobble 07-02-2011 10:28 PM

Personally, I never get extended warranties, and have never had opportunity to regret this. But I suppose there's always a chance...

limey 07-03-2011 03:34 AM

[insurance insider]The sales persons who pick up the commission on the extended warranties highly recommend them. The underwriters who pick up the money and the "risk" on extended warranties love them. Money for old rope is what they call them. I never buy them.[/insurance insider]

tw 07-03-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 743195)
and your personal experience is.......?

Never have dishwasher failures (except when the guy who replaced the garbage disposal did not properly reconnect the dishwasher hose).

wolf 07-03-2011 10:09 AM

Apartment dwellar.

Apts seem to use GE dishwashers (well, the last four that have had dishwashers, anyway.

They must, therefore be cheap and sturdy. I've never had a significant dishwasher problem. And if I do, it's solved with a phone call and no money out of pocket for me.

ZenGum 07-03-2011 11:17 PM

My dishwasher horror story:

A student share-house. Four students. Each one owned a four-person dining set.

The horror? We did not have a dishwasher.

It was bad. Very bad.

On one occasion, everything was dirty. The sink was buried under dirty dishes and inaccessible. We piled the dishes onto the kitchen table, but still more dishes remained. In the end we had to pile things on the floor so we could get to the sink to start washing.

Good times, good times...

ZenGum 07-03-2011 11:18 PM

No, wait, that bit sucked.

monster 07-03-2011 11:27 PM

So nobody's dishwasher expired after the manuacturer's warranty ran out? No extended warranty for us, then. But we'll blame you if it happens to us......

Rrrraven 07-03-2011 11:53 PM

I have a Whirlpool Quiet Wash Plus. It was very inexpensive. I'm betting it's around ten years old at this point. Did not get the extended warranty - never do in fact. I would like for it to break so I could get a new stainless steel to match my fridge and range. It's not cooperating so far. I have no small animals to coax into the workings of it - I do hear hamsters will really F up your appliances.

TheMercenary 07-04-2011 07:18 AM

Kenmore, going on year 12.